Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why can't you volunteer abroad for free?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Thanks Myk! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I summarised a lot of what has been said on this thread in a blog post here if anyone's interested.

I'm soon going to be writing about the different options available and how much they each cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Check out Suas.ie, fantastic organisation, amazing work and its all doen through Fundraising which they will give you great help with.

Applications close in 2 or 3 days so don't hang around!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lady of the flowers

Irish aid at the bottom of O' Connell st in Dublin has lots of inofrmation...as does comhlamh, and vsi (both with good websites)....good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 17 aimsirbia

Hey Stormwarrior - two answers for you
    (1) some 'volunteer abroad' opportunities are, as Karoma says, charities looking to cover their costs - if you only work for them a short time, it may actually cost them money to train you, do the administration etc. Others, however, are profit-making companies, such as i-to-i. Stay well away from these - personnally, I find it morally reprehensible to profit from well-intended people's desire to volunteer.

(2) there ARE volunteer for free opportunities out there! I've volunteered in four different countries around the world (Thailand, Serbia, Australia and... Peru!) and never paid a dime (other than maybe a nominal donation to cover admin costs, e.g. 50 euros). Since you mention Peru, you may be interested in contacting the NGO I worked for, Ayni They're an education / social assistance grassroots NGO.

An Irish NGO who place people on short-term or long-term volunteering projects mostly in Europe but also around the world is Voluntary Service International , I think they charge about 80 euros and then act almost like an intermediary agency, placing you to volunteer with local charities in whatever country you go to.

Another great place to search for volunteering opportunities is IdeaList.org (clever name, eh?) - be aware that some of the volunteering positions posted may be pay-to-volunteer, but this is how I found two of my previous volunteering posts.

Finally, you don't say what your background is or what you'd like specifically to volunteer as. In general, the more specifically trained you are, the more likely you'll find opportunities to volunteer for free. Think about what you can contribute to the organisation. If you were trained as, say, an electrician or an accountant, you'll find it much more likely that an organisation will benefit from your skills. But don't panic if not! Volunteering is a great way to learn new skills.

Last thing, I'm sure you realise this, but if you're not paying the organisation to volunteer with them, it is very unlikely they'll be able to cover your costs for you. The exception is the EVS (European Voluntary Scheme) which Voluntary Service International can tell you about. They'll pay your accommodation, flights, etc, but it's only for volunteering in Europe and you must be under 25. Otherwise, keep in mind you'll have to pay for your own food, rent etc (though in countries like Peru this is very little) - your biggest expense will be your flights.

Good luck, and don't give up! I found it a bit disheartening at first when I thought I would have to pay to volunteer, but it absolutely is not the case if you persevere!

Hello
    I'll be lucky if you still follow this thread....
    I have been trying to research places to volunteer in bosnia, specifically interested in ecologically orientated/permaculture/food production projects but would also be very comfortable in a community/youth/social/educ setting. My heart is set on Bosnia as I've been reading about it recently, feel I need a pinch to appreciate life a bit more. Would be happy to opt for serbia or montenegro also as travel between should be possible. was looking in vain for wwoof opportunities on bosnia, any ideas on any of the above?mile maith agat

• Advertisement

I live down the road in Kosovo. One thing I will say is that the level of English isn't great in these parts so to work here you would have to speak the language.

One way of doing it would be to not put the word volunteer in your Google search as that brings up a lot of crap websites. Just look for a social or ecological projects. I know there are summer camps that some Americans volunteer at (I also met some of those Americans and they made a massive effort with the language or else they'd be on dish washing duty).

Failing all that, Ryanair flight to Zadar, bus down to Bosnia, and spend some time getting to know people and see if you can help out somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyscience

Hey Ive come across a website that might be useful: www.ecoteer.com it doesnt seem to have the same high costs and most placements seem pretty genuine. I plan on using it in the future. Id also recomend that if you are paying anything for a volunter placement to check out the currency conversions and cost of living in the location to see if they are trying to make money out of you. If they are, id consider it to be ecotourism instead. Ive heard some horror stores about 'volunteer' placements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 spindifidus

Hello,
    Just wondering what is the cheapest way to volunteer abroad (I'd prefer to help people before animals but I'm not picky) I've been on some sites and they all say that it's about 1500 yoyos.... Is this the cheapest I could do it for??? (I'd be hoping for a lot less!!)
    aby advice would be really appreciated.

Read the 'Why can't I volunteer for free' thread at the top.

Basically: Not qualified to help in any way = money
    Useful = free

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

<Threads Merged>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sandyjc

Aimsirbia- Totally agree. These agencies like i-to-i should not be allowed operate, they make so much money from people volunteering, its a huge industry at this stage. Have there been documentaries exposing these kind of agencies??

IdeaList is great, I used this and found a great non for profit in Kenya last year. They have a huge list of volunteering options all over the world

Richi- www.volunteeringforfree.org is another site that lists hostels all over the wolrd that house volunteers and link them to projects for free, so no fees paid, just your accomm expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Very informative thread. Welldone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Geoffrey11

If you have plans of volunteering abroad then it is great. Usually the organizations charge you for travelling. Search in the internet for organizations that take less money or no money.If look the situation of those people seeking help it is worth paying and helping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sandyjc

Good to see this thread; that people are discussing alternatives is a good thing. These agencies like i-to-i are making huge profits. I looked into the background of i-to-i. Apparently it was set up in 1996 by Deirdre Bounds as a small ‘alternative travel’ company. She sold it to First Choice Travel in 2006 for over 20million GBP!! So they are making huge profits! Even look at their site, they say things like “Book now and get an additional 10% off!!”, they are pretty blatant in their marketing and drive to book more volunteers.
    In general, if you are looking to volunteer through an organisation, make sure they have the projects interests at heart, not the volunteers. If they
    1.charge too much (over 400 Euro per month or so).
    2. are not particularly interested in what skills you have.
    3. will book you for a period of 2 weeks.
    4. Cannot give specific information about a particular project they are meant to be supporting .
    …then they most likely are more interested in making money than helping the projects. This, therefore, becomes profiteering from poverty and is pretty sick in my opinion.
    There are quite a few resources out there for those that want to organise an independent trip. Check out Volunteer South America for an extensive list of free and low paid opportunities throughout Latin America. Omprakash.org is a good resource for teachers, it lists teaching placements worldwide (though I think they concentrate on asia). www.VolunteerThailand.org (or something along those lines) gives a list of projects in Thailand. There’s also a site www.volunteeringforfree.org that lists hostels around the world that can help their guests to find volunteer work.
    Another trick would be to look at the websites of the companies like i-to-i and find out where they are based and then search through Google for projects in that area, or chat to their past volunteers through their facebook accounts. You can be sure that if i-to-i are sending hundreds of volunteers to an area each year then that area has projects, accommodation, transport infrastructure and restaurants, ie that you can do it independently.
    Why hasn’t someone done a documentary exposing these companies? So many people actually think the companies care about the projects they ‘support’ and so continue to book through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 romick

We are looking for a long term Volunteer to run a Therapy Center in a Poor township in Lima Peru.
    The Center was founded by an Irishman 10 years ago, and he is now retiring.
    The position is one of Administrator, and good interpersonal skills are important,
    Also a working knowledge of Book keeping is essential.
    A basic knowledge of Spanish is also required, and a willingness to become more fluent by attending an Institute in Lima to improve your Spanish.
    Some remuneration can be arranged, and reasonable accommodation can be provided.

This is an Exciting Opportunity, to leave the Rat race behind and enjoy a different quality of life, and a more fulfilling career
    More info from; peruchildrenscharity@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shaymoboy

HelpStay.com launched recently, it's a new low cost way of volunteering and travelling by exchanging a few hours help for free room and board.

Advertisement