Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why can't you volunteer abroad for free?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭vines

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi,
    That first option sounds really up my street, combining a few different roles and what not, did you have to pay for your accomodation and all of that? I'll try and contact that website and see what they tell me anyway.
    As for the second option I reckon I'd prefer to have something organized before I headed off would be the only thing.
    Thanks for that information.
    //Gary

Hi Gary,

Yeah I had to pay for my accommodation, and cook my own food, but the accommodation is pretty cool (50m from local pub where all the game rangers hang out), and they provide the food that you cook, we just gave them a shopping list and they bought all the food for us (included in the price, and very handy cos you'll be staying in a Township called Paterson, and the variety of food in the local shop isn't very exciting!)
    It's in the Eastern Cape, 1 hours drive from Port Elizabeth(PE), which you can fly to really easily from any major town in South Africa, or there are loads of buses that take you there in a day from Cape Town. PE is a biggish town, there's a local taxi guy who can drive you into PE for a small fee, or if you want to have a more exciting weekend trip you can hire a car for next to nothing and take off up the coast!
    If you do decide to go to South Africa, you HAVE to make some time for travelling, I travelled for 6 weeks and it was amazing!
    Best of luck, I hope they're still as helpful as they were when I went!\
    Vines

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nialln

some good links here and this is a question I would have been asking myself in the near future so thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 18 2Cents

I have been looking around for something that was too expensive or more than a month in duration, understanbably there isn't alot in this range as flaking out is a problem.
    In the summer of 2007 I did some work in Kefalonia, Greece, conserving marine turtles for 5 weeks. It was hard work but really fun. There is a small cost of €250(whether you stay for minimum 4 weeks or for 4 months this is the same), and you have to pay for your own flights but there is no accomodation cost as you are camping. Usually about €30 a week would go into a kitty for food and dinner was cooked by a different pair of volunteers each day.
    I really enjoyed it and would love to go back soon if taking that amount of time off becomes feasible (not unlikely the way jobs are biting the dust).

The organisation were called the Katelios Group. www.kateliosgroup.org
    Check them out they are a sound bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Hi all,

I'm starting to think a bit about doing some volunteer work abroad. I'm currently in Australia, and I'd like to help out somewhere such as Fiji (although I'm really open to going anywhere!), before heading home to Ireland. I'd be happy to commit to a program for 3 months or so. I'm a qualified Architect, and have approx 3 years post grad experince. I worked on building sites during college. I assume there no need for an actual architect anywhere, so I'm guessing that helping out with a construction project would be my best bet.

Anyway like a lot of others in this thread, all I really seem to be able to find are the 'business' charities (i-to-i etc). I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the direction of a smaller non-profit organisation that could use my help?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭miss.lost

2Cents wrote: »
    I have been looking around for something that was too expensive or more than a month in duration, understanbably there isn't alot in this range as flaking out is a problem.
    In the summer of 2007 I did some work in Kefalonia, Greece, conserving marine turtles for 5 weeks. It was hard work but really fun.

Sent you a PM for more info on this, can you PM me if you didnt get it as im not too good on the whole computer thing!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 toxic-cherry

(2) there ARE volunteer for free opportunities out there! I've volunteered in four different countries around the world (Thailand, Serbia, Australia and... Peru!) and never paid a dime (other than maybe a nominal donation to cover admin costs, e.g. 50 euros).

Hey CamillaRhodes, Im just wondering if you have any info or advise regarding your volunteering in Australia?? maybe if you get a chance you could read my thread with all my details posted yesterday on there titles "looking for internship/work experience in oz" or something similar to that...I feel Iv hit a bit of a brick wall...I'm registered with the EVS and they run great volunteer programmes but none for oz.....I would really really really love your help!!and would be greatfull to you for ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 toxic-cherry

the thread is on this forum 'VOLUNTEERISM"....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

2Cents wrote: »
    In the summer of 2007 I did some work in Kefalonia, Greece, conserving marine turtles for 5 weeks. It was hard work but really fun. There is a small cost of €250(whether you stay for minimum 4 weeks or for 4 months this is the same), and you have to pay for your own flights but there is no accomodation cost as you are camping. Usually about €30 a week would go into a kitty for food and dinner was cooked by a different pair of volunteers each day.
    I really enjoyed it and would love to go back soon if taking that amount of time off becomes feasible (not unlikely the way jobs are biting the dust).

I see you were working with turtles? Well if you (or anyone else here!) are looking for somewhere else to work with animals that is cheap there is an amazing organisation in Bolivia called Inti Warra Yassi where I spent all of last summer working with, in my case a puma, but there are so many different animals saved from illegal trade, abuse, neglect, circuses etc. They do an awful lot good work but are not government funded so you do have to make a contribution to the refuge, but it is minimal (around 2.50 euro a day if i remember correctly) and living expenses are next to nothing as well. They have a website but it is a little dated, and have a facebook group if anyone wants to find out more (or I can answer any questions).

It's an incredible part of the world and you meet some amazing people while helping animals that without you wouldn't have a chance in life.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing this kind of work!

P.S. A trick I've used whenever trying to find somewhere to volunteer is to use the likes of i to i to find good projects and then just contact them directly myself, it means more money will go directly to the actual organisation/charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

Hey Stormwarrior - two answers for you
    (1) some 'volunteer abroad' opportunities are, as Karoma says, charities looking to cover their costs - if you only work for them a short time, it may actually cost them money to train you, do the administration etc. Others, however, are profit-making companies, such as i-to-i. Stay well away from these - personnally, I find it morally reprehensible to profit from well-intended people's desire to volunteer.

(2) there ARE volunteer for free opportunities out there! I've volunteered in four different countries around the world (Thailand, Serbia, Australia and... Peru!) and never paid a dime (other than maybe a nominal donation to cover admin costs, e.g. 50 euros). Since you mention Peru, you may be interested in contacting the NGO I worked for, Ayni They're an education / social assistance grassroots NGO.

An Irish NGO who place people on short-term or long-term volunteering projects mostly in Europe but also around the world is Voluntary Service International , I think they charge about 80 euros and then act almost like an intermediary agency, placing you to volunteer with local charities in whatever country you go to.

Another great place to search for volunteering opportunities is IdeaList.org (clever name, eh?) - be aware that some of the volunteering positions posted may be pay-to-volunteer, but this is how I found two of my previous volunteering posts.

Finally, you don't say what your background is or what you'd like specifically to volunteer as. In general, the more specifically trained you are, the more likely you'll find opportunities to volunteer for free. Think about what you can contribute to the organisation. If you were trained as, say, an electrician or an accountant, you'll find it much more likely that an organisation will benefit from your skills. But don't panic if not! Volunteering is a great way to learn new skills.

Last thing, I'm sure you realise this, but if you're not paying the organisation to volunteer with them, it is very unlikely they'll be able to cover your costs for you. The exception is the EVS (European Voluntary Scheme) which Voluntary Service International can tell you about. They'll pay your accommodation, flights, etc, but it's only for volunteering in Europe and you must be under 25. Otherwise, keep in mind you'll have to pay for your own food, rent etc (though in countries like Peru this is very little) - your biggest expense will be your flights.

Good luck, and don't give up! I found it a bit disheartening at first when I thought I would have to pay to volunteer, but it absolutely is not the case if you persevere!
    Hi People,

Have a look at UN Volunteers or UNV's in UN parlance. You can gen up on the UNDP site. They pay about 100 dollars a day expenses for volunteers. It is not a salary, but you cannot actually spend much more than twenty or thirty a day on most mission assignments. Do not be too idealistic about the UN, though. It is full of chancers and money mercenaries, from certain countries, who get jobs for fellow nationals in the system, in return for ten or fifteen percent of their wages or expenses. They then proceed to milk all available opportunities, while on mission, to recoup and profit etc. sad but all too common.
    Then, watch your step with voluntary organisations. Many of them are run by people who use the budgets as a personal piggy bank and are in the business of self promotion first and helping others a poor second.
    Sorry, but experience in the UN and with vol. orgs over many years, abroad, has taught me to be realistic. Young idealistic people should be advised to do a lot of research before being used as fodder by the many chancers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Hey Irlandese - gotta respond to your comments :)

I think a lot of what you say about the UN is correct. I work in a place with lots of UN, some of whom are friends, some are not. What I would say is that the 'professional' UN staff are more generally chancers and mercenaries, as you describe. The UNVs, on the other hand, make a great effort within a problematic organisation. A lot of it depends on what agency you go with, and their current staffing structure at the time. A few years ago, I thought the work UNHCR were doing in my AOR (won't name it here!) was excellent. Nowadays they seem to do very, very little. On the other hand, UNDP are doing some good projects now. I guess my point is not to be idealistic, go in with your eyes open, but I wouldn't dissuade someone from taking on an opportunity to live and learn about a new country and to do their best to make a difference.

All the above said, most of the UNVs in my area have quite significant experience prior to being accepted, i.e. 2-3 years experiences working either in the non-profit sector at home or abroad, or with their government, or whatever, plus a Masters degree. UNVs are NOT for fresh-faced idealists on a gap year.

Finally, I've now reached a point where I'm very jaded with the UN system and much international aid. However, I will never regret the volunteering I did with grassroots NGOs. IMO, this is the route that aspiring volunteers should take - work on the ground, for nothing (I don't consider a 'stipend' of 100 dollars a day which UNVs receive to actually be 'volunteering' - this is 10 times better than most local salaries in the area I live).

My advise to people coming onto this forum wanting to volunteer: be prepared to work for nothing (though I still don't believe you should *pay* anything more than your housing, food & minimal admin costs), be willing to get your hands dirty, try to maintain your idealism in spite of the cynicism you'll find in some places (particularly the UN system) and keep a focus on altruism. If you do this, you'll find you learn a hell of a lot about the world, about human relationships, and about yourself.

• Advertisement

Hey Irlandese - gotta respond to your comments :)

I think a lot of what you say about the UN is correct. I work in a place with lots of UN, some of whom are friends, some are not. What I would say is that the 'professional' UN staff are more generally chancers and mercenaries, as you describe. The UNVs, on the other hand, make a great effort within a problematic organisation. A lot of it depends on what agency you go with, and their current staffing structure at the time. A few years ago, I thought the work UNHCR were doing in my AOR (won't name it here!) was excellent. Nowadays they seem to do very, very little. On the other hand, UNDP are doing some good projects now. I guess my point is not to be idealistic, go in with your eyes open, but I wouldn't dissuade someone from taking on an opportunity to live and learn about a new country and to do their best to make a difference.

All the above said, most of the UNVs in my area have quite significant experience prior to being accepted, i.e. 2-3 years experiences working either in the non-profit sector at home or abroad, or with their government, or whatever, plus a Masters degree. UNVs are NOT for fresh-faced idealists on a gap year.

Finally, I've now reached a point where I'm very jaded with the UN system and much international aid. However, I will never regret the volunteering I did with grassroots NGOs. IMO, this is the route that aspiring volunteers should take - work on the ground, for nothing (I don't consider a 'stipend' of 100 dollars a day which UNVs receive to actually be 'volunteering' - this is 10 times better than most local salaries in the area I live).

My advise to people coming onto this forum wanting to volunteer: be prepared to work for nothing (though I still don't believe you should *pay* anything more than your housing, food & minimal admin costs), be willing to get your hands dirty, try to maintain your idealism in spite of the cynicism you'll find in some places (particularly the UN system) and keep a focus on altruism. If you do this, you'll find you learn a hell of a lot about the world, about human relationships, and about yourself.
    Hi Camilla,

I hear you and agree with a lot you say. However, after a lot of years in international orgs and seeing a lot of the chancers up close, I have to say that people need to be forewarned. Young people are idealistic and altruistic. I was one once. They are often used cynically as fodder for NGO's out to make a nice living for senior managers. A few of my ex UN colleagues have ended up as execs with some of these NGO's. Go figure !
    Advice? Check out the NGO's as much as you can on google. I will not name names, but a lot of them are in the money game and do very little useful in the field. The field is full of competing one-off projects that are not integrated with anyone else's work, in competition with each other for donor's cash and a place to stick up their own flag.
    Beware ! Ireland Aid are a good place to start asking about the individual value of individual NGO's. Some of them have gone political.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭myk

Fifs wrote: »
    Just on the topic of knowing your skills, I'd love to volunteer in the next year or so, for three to six months. But I'm a solicitor. Not sure if we're much use to anyone...least of all in developing countries!? I'd be happy to do more or less anything but don't want to feel like i'm just there as a tourist, otherwise i'd just travel. Will a charity take on someone like myself to teach or build or muck in somehow?

I know that of a Barrister who worked with the Redemptorists in Brazil, giving legal aid.

myk wrote: »
    I know that of a Barrister who worked with the Redemptorists in Brazil, giving legal aid.

Solicitors are often very useful, particularly re rights' based programming etc.
    Try to read up on hot topics on UN and other sites, to get an idea of what is topical and a priority at any one time.

Have a look at Amnesty and also perhaps at www.unicri.org, or www.ILO.org, for a UN based work environment. One advantage of the UN work environment, as opposed to the voluntary sector relates to the strict rules re treatment of staff by supervisors and your safer working conditions in hazardous locations. Some NGOs are run on very un-professional lines and some of their managers treat their staff and volunteers like slaves or worse !

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Irlandese wrote: »
    . One advantage of the UN work environment, as opposed to the voluntary sector relates to the strict rules re treatment of staff by supervisors and your safer working conditions in hazardous locations. Some NGOs are run on very un-professional lines and some of their managers treat their staff and volunteers like slaves or worse !

Again, Irlandese, it seems we pretty much agree here :) BUT... I think the critical difference here is what sort of volunteering you're doing. If you're going to work for a large, international organisation where managers are making large salaries but you don't receive a dime, in exchange for the same level of commitment to your work, then you're right, this is essentially slavery!

However, I've volunteered with a number of very small, grassroots NGOs, operating within small local areas, who operate on absolutely minimal budgets. Managers, if they receive a salary, have received very little - e.g. in Peru, our NGO coordinator received 150 dollars a month, which covered her rent and expenses but little else, which seems a reasonable compensation if you're expected to commit for a year or more, as is the case with managers and NGO leaders.

I think there's a very critical difference between volunteering for a small grassroots NGO versus getting into the professional / UN system. This thread is about volunteering, and most people who seem to read/post to it are looking for grassroots, low-level activities to participate in for a few months - NOT an entry-level position to gain access into the UN system. If the thread were about that, I would perhaps give very different advice.

Finally, your comment about NGOs being unprofessional is, I think, quite fair. It can sometimes be frustrating, especially if you're coming from the private sector in a 'Western' country, to see the somewhat ad hoc means and shambolic nature by which some NGOs in developing countries operate. But in my opinion this is all part of the learning experience for the volunteer. You have to be prepared that you are NOT going to have the same level of staff protection as you would do if you stayed in a corporate environment in Ireland. You will be expected to take care of yourself to a significant degree (and this is how companies like i-to-i make their money, capitalising on naive fears of having to fend for oneself in a developing country). You will also have to recognise cultural differences in terms of attitude to work - time schedules can be different, adherence to codes of conduct such as gender sensitivity etc will be very different to home. But this is all part of the reason why I think volunteering is a great experience for privileged westerners. I have gained such a wider perspective on life by virtue of having had to fend for myself in 'unprofessional' environments, by having to readjust my assumptions on the way the world should work, etc.

I don't think working in the UN system gives these sort of experiences, but that's a topic for another thread.

I still believe that, if you're adequately prepared for the experience ahead of you, volunteering for a grassroots NGO can be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life (it certainly was of mine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Zodiac12345

Contemplating doing some volunteering in South Africa but it seems very expensive. 2,000 Euro for the 12 weeks, flight will cost about a grand and i'd say another 500 for food and the likes. That is 3,500 Euro - seems to be bloody expensive but this seems to be the going rate for most volunteer packages so to speak. Anyone got any thoughts?

Looking at going with a company called www.aviva-sa.com. Anyone ever done anything with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

There was a thread on here a while back about cheaper volunteering projects and somebody posted a link to a site that listed 50 free/cheap oppurtunities. I had a look myself and some of them were quite good but you'll have to look through the forum yourself for that thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Actually here it is I found it! It may not be much to look at but it's serves as a link to various other sites that offer free/cheep volunteering.

http://www.overseasjobcentre.co.uk/100_free_volunteer_work_opportunities.shtml

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The 'Why you can't volunteer abroad for free' thread was great. Should probably have been made a sticky (if it hasn't already). Lots of info on that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

<Threads merged>
    enjoy the read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I am interested in doing a week's volunteer work in a developing country this year.I've come across one or two organisations that let you do this but you've to fund raise several grand which is a little off putting. I've no problem paying for myself but I didin't think it'd be so expensive. So am I being unrealistic to expect to be able to volunteer for a week without fundraising or paying several grand?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

<Threads Merged>
    This thread has a lot of discussion around volunteering abroad and the issue of fundraising.

silvine wrote: »
    I am interested in doing a week's volunteer work in a developing country this year.I've come across one or two organisations that let you do this but you've to fund raise several grand which is a little off putting. I've no problem paying for myself but I didin't think it'd be so expensive. So am I being unrealistic to expect to be able to volunteer for a week without fundraising or paying several grand?

This has been discussed a fair few times if you'd like to search you'd get more answers.
    Basically, think of where you work now.
    Then imgaine someone from Japan decides to work for your organisation for one week.
    Doesn't speak the language, doesn't have the necessary skills, will spend most of the week adjusting to climate and food.

Now, how much would you like this Japanese worker?

Just because some place is poor doesn't make it any different from any organisation in Ireland. If you're going for one week you will end up helping to pay for the charity's running costs for the year. This type of one week volunteering is a gold mine for charities.

Sincere apologies if you're highly qualified and fit for the job, but still, 1 and 3 will still likely apply. I run a charity and I can assure you, you'd have to give me at least 5000 to organise you visiting for a week. It's so much hassle, you've no idea.
    The choice is yours really -a week but pay or longer but don't.

Failing that you can always fly into Kolkata and work there for a week. Mother Teresa's sisters of charity doesn't ask for any money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

The first thing for anyone looking at volunteering abroad is that they find out if it is possible to see how any contribution or fee is applied, does it cover your flights and or accommodation? Secondly are you asked to simply pay the fee from your own pocket or are you expected to fundraise the money and will they help you with that.

Fundraising is about more than money, it raises the profile of an organisation and can lead to even greater support in the future which is why genuine charities are so keen on it.

Finally to anyone who is fundraising, there have been studies that show that in times of economic hardship people are actually more socially aware and give more so don't be disheartened. Best of Luck and try to think outside the box a little!

EDIT: I would also add that if you want to volunteer abroad you should choose an organisation or place because it interests you or you think you are suited to it, that will lead to the best experience and results for yourself and those that you are volunteering with, cost should not be the primary consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

piby wrote: »
    Actually here it is I found it! It may not be much to look at but it's serves as a link to various other sites that offer free/cheep volunteering.

http://www.overseasjobcentre.co.uk/100_free_volunteer_work_opportunities.shtml

Cheers for that.

Actually cheers everyone. Very helpful thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I did some volunteering with Aviva - they're a pretty small organisation but I had a great time with them. It's not cheap but the accomodation in Cape Town is excellent (I stayed there when I wasn't on shift at Baphumelele). Also they do give a donation to the project you volunteer with.

If you've any questions feel free to ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richy1

how can i volunteer abroad (preferably africa/india) for free
    hi guys, i want to do voluntary work inside the next year.i am 19.
    i havent the money for these voluntary packages that cost thousands.
    I know i have to pay my flights, thats fine , but could i do 2-4 weeks volunteering, living off 50 euro a week. i'm going for very hard work not a holiday.do i need to have skills?
    can i do it on the prices above?

If anyone wants to read why many people around here have problems with those companies who charge massive amounts for a volunteering opportunity there is a great article here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! :)

Quick question: Does anyone have any links to reliable organizations that help you to volunteer through fund-raising? I'm working at the moment and struggling to pay back my loans from college. I'd love to get involved in something by next summer/autumn/winter but I'm not sure how feasible it is financially considering my debt, so fund-raising might be one way to over come that problem!

• Advertisement

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! :)

Quick question: Does anyone have any links to reliable organizations that help you to volunteer through fund-raising? I'm working at the moment and struggling to pay back my loans from college. I'd love to get involved in something by next summer/autumn/winter but I'm not sure how feasible it is financially considering my debt, so fund-raising might be one way to over come that problem!

I recommend http://www.volunteeringoptions.org/

Advertisement