Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highs and Lows of 2007

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Highs:New job
    Low: My cousin committing suicide.

2008 is going to be a big one for my wife and I, fun times. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Highs: ?

Lows:
    too many people I know getting sick or dying

going back to school and being completely lost, failing all my tests and getting constantly shouted at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Highs:
    -Went to Paris with a bunch of school mates in March, amazing trip.
    -Went to Rome and Sorrento in October, another great holiday.
    -Got my first job for 6 weeks and earned €2,000 :)

Lows:
    -My Grandad died yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Highs :
    • Doing well in my christmas exams.
    • Getting a high paying job for the summer.
    • Buying a car.

Lows:
    • Doing rubbish in my summer college exams (still passed them).
    • Totally mismanaging my earned money and becoming broke.
    • Car constantly breaking down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

highs: weed

lows: lack of weed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Highs: Lots of beer.

Lows: The hangovers.

Other than that, it's been the same as any other year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Jello wrote: »
    Lows:
    -My Grandad died yesterday.

Sorry to hear that Jello. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

highs:
    finishing my first year of my degree. it was fricking hard work.
    making some great new friends
    getting work that i like, even if its not the best pay.

lows:
    not having high enough expectations for myself.
    not getting as fit as i wanted

a few others in both lists, but not worth mentioning! sorry to all those who have lost people this year, and especially those in the last few weeks/days :(

happy new year everyone, bring on 2008!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Highs - Paris in January and November, Portugal in April and May, Shane in general, Christmas, swimming in January, the car, being declared NED (no evidence of cancer).

Lows - Sai (Scenic911) dying, almost dying myself in February, the surgery to remove my oesophagus, extreme fatigue, not being able to eat properly again ever, waiting to recover from the surgery (and still am), my job.

Not a year that I would ever want to go through again, I cried with relief when it was over. I would not have got through this year had it not been for my husband who was literally my lifeline and saved me from death as he gave me a reason to live when I did not want to. Thanks to everyone on Boards too for chearing me up through the worst year of my life so far, reading all your comments really helped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Highs- having the best weekend of my life in Glasgow in the summer. Goin to Prague on a mad one in September

Lows- thankfully no deaths, lowest feeling had to be the night of my 21st birthday when Slovakia scored that equaliser in the dying minutes of the game and all but sent us out of Euro 08. Im not one for attention and so I was going to treat my 21st like any other birthday, few with the lads in the pub, nightclub, home, same old, but I was so sickened by what happened that night I went home, got more drunk and traded drink fuelled opinion on the Soccer forum. Seeing the Scots (a team Ive nearly as much affinity to Ireland with after the craic I had with undisputably the most bang on/ most mentally ill race of people on Gods green earth on my trip there) knocked out so cruelly by Italy after such a hard fought campaign was also a heartbreaker.

And oh yeah, the first 7 hours of 2008 went pretty sweet too :) Right now Im still quarter drunk and surprisingly unaffected by having slept a total of 3 hours since midday yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shirty

Highs
    Lots and lots of lovely travel

Lows
    Having to leave my fantastic job
    Falling for someone I realy shouldn't
    Being in a really bad accident
    My best friend moving away

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Highs
    Birth of my firstborn
    Getting my driving license
    Passing the 200 page mark in my novel
    Job Promotion

Lows
    Still not having made any friends
    Grandmother dying
    Job sucking majorly and wanting to get demoted again (I'll keep the raise though)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

highs- smoke free for a year as of today!!! :D, NYC and France with my man ;)
    lows- put on a stone and a half for my non smoking trouble! moving to dublin on my own and being completely miserable!

Happy New Year esp to everyone who posted before me whose 2007 wasnt too kind. Here's to 2008 guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

HIGHS: Birth of my second child, making it 1 girl and 1 boy.

LOWS: Getting a smack of a car and breaking my wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

High - buying an expensive car at 21

Lows:
    Payments for said car
    Still stuck in a boring job that I can't just leave because of said payments
    My Nana died :(

A pretty sh*tty year all told. I expect 2008 to be exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

highs: getting to croker for the England game
    getting my masters

Lows: getting veritgo, a stomach ulcer, having my wisdom tooth extraction and the four bouts of flu (all thanks to said masters..stress)
    finally dumping my stupid ex, trying to work full time and do a thesis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Highs:
    Sister beat cancer :D:D:D
    Won a holiday voucher and went to France (foreign hols are a no no when you have four kids) - drove to Barcelona and went to match in Camp Nou WOW.
    Spent rest of summer in a caravan with kids - rain, rain, rain - had a ball (I swear:))
    Kids healthy all year.
    Learning to play Mandolin - late in life I know, but loving it :D:D:D

Lows:
    Buried my uncle.
    The highs far outweigh any other lows.

Roll on 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

pid() wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Jello. :(

Thanks pid. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Highs: Going to New Zealand for the first time, then going back twice, meeting my boyfriend for the first time after knowing him almost two years, making peace with my parents, getting an awesome reference from my old job, starting a new life in New Zealand, meeting some really cool people, taking up camogie again just to prove to myself I still could, spending almost a week in Germany for a rock festival, one of the best times of my life, overcoming some old fears, seeing my b/f's sister's new baby less than 5 hours after she was born.

Lows: not knowing what I wanted for a while, acting rashly, moving out from my old house, moving back into my parents' house, getting stupendously drunk too often, and having to leave Ireland.

hmm, I quite like the Sinatra line 'Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention' :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Highs : Starting college
    Lows : Starting college

Too hard to explain, but it really hasn't worked out how I thought it would :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Aw sh*t, so horrible when you get something you want so badly and it ends up not working out. I did a masters in journalism in 05/06 - really thought it was meant to be the direction I'd head in. I was in my element when I got a place on that course. I'm now working as a receptionist - shag all work in media/journalism.

Overall, 2007 wasn't a particularly brilliant year for me - not awful, Christ, people have been through far, far worse, but I honestly can't think of any high in particular, however a few (albeit minor) lows do spring to mind.

But 2008 is gonna be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Highs,
    a week on a vineyard in France in February
    Seeing Roger Waters with friends in May
    Seeing Rush 6 times in the UK and Holland in October
    Seeing Led Zeppelin in London in December.

Lows,
    Wife's cancer back with a vengance.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Lows: Three Roof leaks and the insurance company refusing to payout

Highs: Roof now water proof (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Highs:

* Went on a lot more holidays than I expected.
    * Had a lot of laughs with my friends - spent loads of time with them.
    * Became a godmother
    * Learned to drive with a lot more confidence (after failing test)

Lows:

* Failed driving test
    * Was single for over 11 months out of the 12 (altho maybe that's not such a bad thing)

Not so many lows :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Highs
    • Moved into my new aparment
    • Friend getting married and meeting my beautiful girlfriend there
    • Beautiful girlfirend
    • Going back to college

Lows
    • Grandad died
    • Sorting out my new aparment (6 months after moving in still doing legal stuff!)
    • Money!

Highs
    Getting my full driving license
    Job permanency in a job I love
    (in a company 15 mins from my house)
    Finding love with a man who said on tuesday night that he wanted to marry me and make me the mother of his children :)
    Getting a new car!

Lows

No car for the first two months and then having car problems in general
    No job at the start of the year
    Sucky job then until June
    Falling for someone who was taken (went through 2 hard months but worked out for me though)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Highs
    Getting my full driving license

Finding love with a man who said on tuesday night that he wanted to marry me and make me the mother of his children :)

Congrats :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

This year hasn't been the best for me personally.
    Both my granfather and Uncle died this year which was a huge downer as I was quite close to them. Seeing how painful it is for my relitives who lost their dad is pretty horrible too:(
    Can't think of anything else now :-/

On the upside, I was happy to get the College place I wanted.
    Leaving that kip of a school I went to behind was satisfying.
    Lastly, a trip to south-east Asia with my brother and Dad was well cool:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

problably said alot alreday but ireland doing crap in rugby and the football was a low point:(..
    oh and me catching some stomach bug while on holidays that lasted 4 months kinda sucked :rolleyes:

Advertisement