Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you have a choice about your confirmation did you choose not to?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At the time I wasn't aware another choice even existed. My parents were both relatively religious at the time (not anymore, my Dad's atheist now, my Mum has her own non-Christian beliefs), and I knew very little about the rest of the world past the existence of Catholics and Protestants. So from my point of view, there was a God and Jesus, the only thing that was different was whether you were Catholic or Protestant. You have to love the teaching of Irish history in Ireland. Irish primary education is shockingly insular - I don't recall ever learning about any countries outside of the EU and certainly nothing about politics.

Not that I took it seriously. Myself and my best friend took names so that our 4 initials would make funny combinations or sounds and the most important part of the day was counting my money and going for an expensive tasty meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

seamus wrote: »
    the most important part of the day was counting my money and going for an expensive tasty meal.

Gosh darn it all to heck :mad: I made about £40 max. We are not close with our extended family. And every time I go to my parents house I have to see that proudly displayed picture of my 12 year old self in that fashion no-no and endure the smirk on my boyfriend's face. Yeah, every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Don't remember having much choice or anyone asking the question seriously enough that I gave it any thought. It was all about the money and seeing who amongst my mates got most...I didn't, damn small extended family :(

Took the pledge too, but we all did that just so we could break it..such rebels :P

• Registered Users Posts: 45 maskofsanity

I was effectively an atheist at that time and I remember being uncomfortable with the whole idea of confirmation. I talked to my Mother about it a devout christian (with a masters in theology I might ad).

She said something along the lines of I should just do it and not cause trouble. If it doesn't mean anything then its not a big sacrifice to do it. I'm pretty sure she made the money argument also.

So I did it. I went through the pointless ritual, not fully understanding it of course but knowing enough to point out how silly it was, I don't remember feeling too upset about the whole thing at the time. The people handing me twenty pound notes probably helped. Although I did make a point of breaking the pledge straight away, that showed them! :rolleyes:

Now that I've grown older and discovered a bit more about why I am an atheist and what it is to be an atheist I can see that I was wronged. Wronged by a education system corrupted by indoctrination and superstitious nonsense and a Mother who held her own ridiculous beliefs and standing in her community over the feelings of her own son.

"If god wanted me to believe in him, why did he make me an atheist?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Zillah wrote: »
    I don't really remember it. I'm sure I didn't understand it. It was one of those things that are simply done. You have to go to school, mass, the doctor, the dentist, funerals, weddings....why would this be any different?

Its a laughable notion that any 10 year old has a serious chance of understanding the situation to the degree where they can make an informed choice, or that they'd have the strength to insist they didn't want to do it should they make such a choice.

That's amazing because I was asked by my parents at both my class's communion and confirmation if I wanted to take part, and I said no. Nobody in the class batted an eyelid.
    Of course you have the opportunity to say no, but most kids won't turn down money for their beliefs.(Pushy parents don't help either)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

That's amazing because I was asked by my parents at both my class's communion and confirmation if I wanted to take part, and I said no. Nobody in the class batted an eyelid.
    Of course you have the opportunity to say no, but most kids won't turn down money for their beliefs.(Pushy parents don't help either)

Nor does peer pressure (or perceived peer pressure).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Nor does peer pressure (or perceived peer pressure).

Perceived is the right word. I was never once bullied about being the only atheist at my school, (or should I say the only one who stood up and said she was an atheist).
    Most of those christian kids have now become atheists, and I've become a Christian, what does that say? We all rebel against what we know as a kid in the end? We get bored of being one thing after long enough? Would you be more likely to seek out religion if you were brought up as an atheist? It's interesting - a lot of factors come into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I wasn't confirmed, it's done later in England, and I moved to Ireland just before doing it, but after everyone my age here had done it. Was annoyed at not getting any money, but happy to have missed the hassle and not have any extra names. People find it weird that I only have two names all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

i only realised 2 weeks before my confirmation what it actually was.... was too late for me to say no at that stage!

Advertisement