Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non religious funerals

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

As an athiest, I'm not too pushed on a relgious ceremony. That said, I'll be dead, and I don't care what is done to my body.

As such, I've often toyed of donating my body to medical science. Rumour is that if you pledge your body to medical science, they give you something like 7,000 euro upfront - and you can buy your body back at any time should you so wish.

However, these plans were scotched after my friend told me his funeral plans. He wants to be pushed out into a lake on a Viking longboat and for a friend to shoot a flaming arrow from ashore onto the boat, so it burns and sinks in the lake. That's so good it hurts my face just thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

As an athiest, I'm not too pushed on a relgious ceremony. That said, I'll be dead, and I don't care what is done to my body.

As such, I've often toyed of donating my body to medical science. Rumour is that if you pledge your body to medical science, they give you something like 7,000 euro upfront - and you can buy your body back at any time should you so wish.

However, these plans were scotched after my friend told me his funeral plans. He wants to be pushed out into a lake on a Viking longboat and for a friend to shoot a flaming arrow from ashore onto the boat, so it burns and sinks in the lake. That's so good it hurts my face just thinking about it.

Won't happen, due to the contamination of the water table.
    The laws are pretty strict about what is and is not allowed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

id wear gray and bring along as many ethnic minorities as possible to give the appearance of complete neutrality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Sam Kade wrote: »
    By any chance did they bury him in his back garden?

Not sure but I could ask, I don't think so as it may be illegal. Why do you ask?

Do you have any sources for this? If I sell my body to science, does that make me a prostitute? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

Flukey wrote: »
    Well why not do that on January 19th or May 30th or July 16th or November 23rd or whenever, instead of December 25th, if it makes no difference to you?

I don't have 2 weeks off work on those dates.

I bloody love Christmas and I also love not having that guilty feeling that comes with being a Christian. Enjoy mass on Christmas morning, I'll be tucking into a mince pie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

My dad died last year and he was an atheist. There was no mass the night before the funeral but there was a short mass at his cremation. He went to the Christian Brothers school on Westland row and would have been battered by the priests back then so I can understand his views. :)

Advertisement