Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non religious funerals

Options
  • 19-12-2007 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I have noticed on Boards, that a huge amount of posters are anti religion and anti clerical. And they seem to want to give the impression that Ireland is now a very secular country with Christianity just about hanging on. Why is it then that virtually every funeral, (deceased of all ages) takes place in a church? Is Ireland as anti Christian as some would like us to believe? I know of very few secular funerals in my part of Ireland anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Tradition?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Probably because a much higher percentage of older people are religious than younger people, and it is mainly older people who died.

Also, where else are you going to have a funeral?
    TGI fridays?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Only old people die, and they're the religious ones...

When i die, i want to be made into a coffee table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

I want a funeral like Hunter S Thompsons.

Thats how to bow out in style

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Blisterman wrote: »
    Probably because a much higher percentage of older people are religious than younger people, and it is mainly older people who died.

TGI fridays?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Tradition?

Maybe, but if they are as anti religious as they make out, they wouldn’t want a church funeral. I knew one old man personally that expressly forbid his relations from having any religious trapping at his funeral.

Only old people die?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I want to be mummified or better still fossilised when I die.

Anyway as the older generations die out I'm sure there will be more secular options in the future. The Catholic Church still has a near-monopoly on running the important milestones of our lives at the moment (birth, marriage and death) but I'm sure its slowly but surely decreasing.

the majority of the young generation, including myself seem to be anti-clerical. but i respect people's clerical beliefs and church burials.

cornbb wrote: »
    I want to be mummified or better still fossilised when I die.

Anyway as the older generations die out I'm sure there will be more secular options in the future. The Catholic Church still has a near-monopoly on running the important milestones of our lives at the moment (birth, marriage and death) but I'm sure its slowly but surely decreasing.

I don’t think that is the case, I notice families with tenuous at best, links to cat holism are all over the church like a rash when someone belong to them dies,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Even if young athiests die, it's the family that organises the funeral.

I went to a lovely Funeral overseas. They guy was about 50 something and was in a band. There was an open cask party in his house, the cask was inexpensive wood, there were photos of his life spread about the place and all of his homemade beer for us to drink. Everyone that knew him got said a small piece about him, then his fellow band mates played some tunes. It was beautiful, touching and so much more personal than a Mass said by a priest that has never met the deceased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i've asked for a non religion funeral for whenever i kick the bucket but was politely told to f*ck off. anyway as long as there is a wake where everyone get's pissed i'll be happy.

WindSock wrote: »
    Even if young athiests die, it's the family that organises the funeral.

I went to a lovely Funeral overseas. They guy was about 50 something and was in a band. There was an open cask party in his house, the cask was inexpensive wood, there were photos of his life spread about the place and all of his homemade beer for us to drink. Everyone that knew him got said a small piece about him, then his fellow band mates played some tunes. It was beautiful, touching and so much more personal than a Church said by a priest that has never met the deceased.

But if a young atheist dies, and he is a genuine atheist, surely his family should respect his life and not have a clergy man near his funeral?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

I want a funeral like Hunter S Thompsons.

Thats how to bow out in style

I dont actually believe he wanted the funeral, it was forced upon him at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wanna go out like Bernie in "Weekend at Bernie's"
    That way I can go to my own wake :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

But if a young atheist dies, and he is a genuine atheist, surely his family should respect his life and not have a clergy man near his funeral?

Funerals are for the living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

1) most people who die are old, and older people are more likely to be religious
    2) I'm not sure that too many young people actually specify where they want their funeral to take place :confused: I know I've never had that conversation with my family. If I died tomorrow, they would most likely have the funeral in a church, because it would ultimately be up to the parents really.
    3) I'm sure there's alot of ignorance about alternative funerals/locations. I certainly can't think of anywhere off the top of my head. If I bothered to research, I'd probably discover a few.
    4) In times of grief and suffering, religious belief is often accentuated. The phrase "there are no atheists in foxholes" comes to mind. If a loved one dies, it might awaken religious beliefs in you that you didn't realise you had.
    5) It's tradition. Most atheists (certainly the ones I know) celebrate Christmas, mainly because it's tradition. I even go to church on Christmas day! But then I'm not particularly anti-clerical, I just think it's all bullsh*t.

Can't think of anything else to say....

I'm sure "better safe than sorry" is going through their (the family's) heads. It's irrelevent what the deceased believed or did not believe. It doesn't matter how "genuine" an atheist they are, cos it's the family that sorts it out.

WindSock wrote: »
    Funerals are for the living.

Yes, but they are primarily a mark of respect for the deceased and the life he led.

At my funeral I want them to play

Poker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm coming back as a zombie anyway, so it doesn't bother me!

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    I'm coming back as a zombie anyway, so it doesn't bother me!

a repeat performance?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Blisterman wrote: »

TGI fridays?

I want mine in Kelly's in Portrush, preferably with Ferry Corsten as musical accompaniment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I have noticed on Boards, that a huge amount of posters are anti religion and anti clerical. And they seem to want to give the impression that Ireland is now a very secular country with Christianity just about hanging on. Why is it then that virtually every funeral, (deceased of all ages) takes place in a church? Is Ireland as anti Christian as some would like us to believe? I know of very few secular funerals in my part of Ireland anyway.

it's because we're still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

maybe athiests have a chance of heart, when they're about to meet their maker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

Most atheists don't give 2 sh1ts what happens to them when they die. Turn me into a golf club for all I care. It's either that or be eaten by the worms.

Don't fancy the big party in the clouds with a big bearded guy and loads of other dead people - I'd prefer the golf club option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

finlma wrote: »
    Don't fancy the big party in the clouds with a big bearded guy and loads of other dead people - I'd prefer the golf club option.

imagine being told "regulars only" or "sorry, you're too casually dressed" when you got there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Bizarre, man. Just bizarre...

Sh!t, my wife wanted to do that with her da. And she's saying the same about me. :eek: If I find out I'm terminal I'll have no choice but to terminate her with extreme prejudice. Where do people get these kooky ideas?

If you're not religious and you don't want a church funeral then ring up the council and tell there's an extra trash bag with a bin tag attached outside your house and can they take it away and dump it, pretty please.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I think when I'm dead I won't really give a toss what kind of funeral I have. Would be nice to have the wake before I die though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

A selfish attitude imo. I'd go for a non-religious funeral assuming I outlive my mam. If not, why would i deny her any comfort she could have? After all, it would make no difference to me, I'd be dead!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A selfish attitude imo. I'd go for a non-religious funeral assuming I outlive my mam. If not, why would i deny her any comfort she could have? After all, it would make no difference to me, I'd be dead!
    Good point actually. Never thought of that.

Advertisement