Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man-lit

Options
  • 18-12-2007 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a trend of stealing ideas from the ladies recently so *jumps on bandwagon* Who do you read for a bit of adventure, not talking Joyce or anything particularly intellectual here, more the brain candy stuff. I'm partial to the occasional Clive Custler, Wilbur Smith or Robert Ludlum, what's on your shelves.

*Was going to title this dick-lit but thought better of it:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ian Rankin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Bill Bryson. Though his latest one on Shakespeare is a tad, well, crap.

Thunderbolt Kid, ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Tom Clancy is always good except for the op-centre crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

House To House by David Bellavia

Really intense, I've read it a few times already.

http://www.davidbellavia.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

If you want real man's book you have to read "The Road" by Cormac McCarty

Set after an unspecified apocalypse, it the the story of a man and his son,
    ass they journey along deserted highways, in a desperate attempt to survive
    and get to safety. The world is gone absolutely mad, barbarians rome the land, no
    food grows or social structure exists - but the man and his son keep going.

I read it in a day, I could not put it down.

For a laugh, you can't beat M*A*S*H by Richard Hooker. Forget the rubbish sitcom, or
    the reasonably funny motion picture, the book is the real deal about American Army
    Surgeons trying to stay sane in madness of the Korean War.
    Very funny stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Ian Rankin, Jodi Piccoult, PJ Tracy

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Hagar wrote: »
    Dust.

I know brevity is the soul of wit, brother Hagar but a little more info is required there, is that the book, the author or what you think of this thread?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Tom Clancy is the man.

I read 'Scarecrow' by A.N. Idiot over the summer. It is the most over-the-top, rubbish book eve - it's brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Mr Nice

I know brevity is the soul of wit, brother Hagar but a little more info is required there, is that the book, the author or what you think of this thread?:D
    No, all that's on the shelf is dust. I must talk to herself about the housework next time I get up.
    I discovered "books for the blind" on tape. They read the book to you, does away with all that tedious licking your finger to turn the page etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

No, all that's on the shelf is dust. I must talk to herself about the housework next time I get up.
    I discovered "books for the blind" on tape. They read the book to you, does away with all that tedious licking your finger to turn the page etc.

Ah! Impressive brother, impressive:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. That is all.
    Yes indeed, a quality series, second only to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy by Douglas Adams imo.

I read a lot of King actually, he's probably my favourite author.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Tom Clancy and Clive Cussler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭harmacist

Instead of chick-lit,
    chap-lit maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Iceberg Slim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

tom dunne wrote: »
    Bill Bryson. Though his latest one on Shakespeare is a tad, well, crap.

Thunderbolt Kid, ftw.

I love Bill Bryson, they're dangerous to read in public though because of the snorting laughter!

I saw him on tv a few times, he actually seems quite boring in real life, Boo!

I did think that the thunderbolt kid was ever so slightly self-indulgent though!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

No, all that's on the shelf is dust.

And there was me thinking you were being hip by seeing how may people read His Dark Materials. Which I'm reading for the second time round before I go see the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ruthiedv

I thought all you BGRH guys would be Nick Hornby fans:)Or Hunter S Thompson.
    I love John Irving meself and Tove Jansson at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

Anything by Terry Pratchett is great for a laugh :D
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    And there was me thinking you were being hip by seeing how may people read His Dark Materials. Which I'm reading for the second time round before I go see the film.

Diddo, I'm about halfway through The Subtle Knife :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Mine is John fowles at the moment

Just finished reading the magus for the third time, still have no idea whats going on

and have just started The Collector and the the French Lienuants wife (sp) ready to go.

but my favourite book ever is The Godfather must have read it about 10-15 times in the last 16 years.

I've a better chance of getting a hip replaced than becoming hip.
    I saw the Golden Compass... what a load of twaddle, very disappointing.
    The book must have been better.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

For seriously manly books the Brothers should read Carl Hiaasen or Christopher Brookmyre. Loads of what can only be described as improbable violence, particularly in Hiaasen books, and hilarious as well.

In addition to these I'd also be a fan of the aforementioned Adams (obviously!), Pratchett and Bryson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Stephen King & Michael Crichton

Liked Cussler for a while, but got fed up with him.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

zaph wrote: »

In addition to these I'd also be a fan of the aforementioned Adams (obviously!), Pratchett and Bryson.

and Robert Rankin

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clawsthefirst

If you really want manly read Oro by Cizia Zykë

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Anything by Norman Mailer is super manly mannish.

An American Dream particularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Last Light - Alex Scarrow Pretty decent fictional book about the beginning of the end follwoing peak oil.

Coversations with Tom Petty - is pretty cool for any fans. A lot of stuff even the most ardant fans may not know in there.

Fear and Loathing - HST a classic , the movie was rubbish , read the book its far funnier.

On the Road -Jack Karouac , if ya havent read it ya should .... its kinda got a bad rep cause a lot of spas read it and become some kinda converted anti establishment anti everything moron but its a good story.

A short history of nearly everything - Bill Bryson is pretty good a bit nerdy I guess but full of pretty much useless information hahah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Brett Easton Ellis' American Psycho is a qualith book.

Especially the scene where he (don't read this if you are in any way squeamish) :
    places some cheese inside a girl's minge, then sticks a tube up, then sends a rat up the tube to eat the cheese, and the lady in question

Did you read it? Are you disgusted? Don't say I didn't warn you...

Advertisement