Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you want to DO with your lives?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I'd like to leave a mark on the world. Not necessarily so that anyone would know my name, but to know that I made a difference.

i wanted to say what a load of bollix, but that's a bit offensive, so i wont. a difference to whom? most people wont remember or care about anything you've ever done, and even if by some remote chance you actually do something that changes the world in a great way, the solar system will collide with ours and destroy everything and all you're hard work will be the equivalent of building a giant sand castle.

edit: i deliberately took out the name of the person i was quoting to make it clear i'm not aiming it any anyone, it's just the general idea i have a problem with.

You can be self-employed.

NTM
    you're still working for someone else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

edit: i deliberately took out the name of the person i was quoting to make it clear i'm not aiming it any anyone, it's just the general idea i have a problem with.

Gee.. That'll make it difficult to figure out who you were quoting!

Do you not believe it is possible to directly affect other people's lives?

Not to disrespect bankers or lawyers or IT persons or any other career which contributes to national well-being or the economy, but can you imagine what it would have been like to have been an Allied soldier going through Paris on the 26th of August 1944? Or being an Irish troop in Liberia in 2004? You have a tangible result which you can witness, postively affecting people as a direct result of your actions.

I have no doubt that there is this exact same sentiment shared by doctors, firemen, police and ambulancemen amongst others. Frankly, I don't think anyone in the world really cares if I correctly re-format a hard drive at the office. Damned sure someone would acknowledge my effect on the world if I were a doctor who saved some kid's life after a car accident. It doesn't have to be a nation-shattering effect that I'm talking about here, it's just something to show 'I was here'

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Forget the pursuit of happiness, I'd settle for being just a shade less miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

well, i think the idea of having any sort of job sucks. i don't understand how one could have a dream that involves working for someone.
    Most people have to work - in order to make money etc. This thread is focusing on what their dream job would be.
    What do you do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i want to invent a time machine , go back to the early 60's , practice playing guitar till im great then join thin lizzy , simple eh ?

Dudess wrote: »
    Most people have to work - in order to make money etc. This thread is focusing on what their dream job would be.
    What do you do?

i play poker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

OP, I felt like you did recently. Read this book: "What Should I Do With My Life" by Po Bronson. It's a very interesting account of people who asked themselves the same questions as you and found answers, and how they found them. It's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

watna wrote: »
    OP, I felt like you did recently. Read this book: "What Should I Do With My Life" by Po Bronson. It's a very interesting account of people who asked themselves the same questions as you and found answers, and how they found them. It's very good.

Advertisement ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Advertisement ftw!

Yes, I worked up 1200 posts just so I could advertise that book without being noticed as a shill.

Damn you thelastangryman for outing me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I want to change the face of cinema forever!
    Not a bad goal! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Kemos wrote: »
    I have always dreamed of being a baseball
    ...but tonight I say we must move forward, not backward... upward, not forward, and always twirling... twirling... TWIRLING towards freedom!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

watna wrote: »
    Yes, I worked up 1200 posts just so I could advertise that book without being noticed as a shill.

Damn you thelastangryman for outing me!

I know. I'm just that damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Im not in my dream job, but I still like it all the same, it pays the bills with a little left over. With my life, I plan to never have kids, and basically get out there and see and experience as many things big and small. So far got to do the following:

-Surfing & Skiiing (never again)
    -A radio show
    -A track day at Mondello
    -American roadtrip x 2

Things I still want to do:

-Tour New Zealand, Iceland & see base camp of Everest
    -Hike to the top of Mt Errigal in Jan 2008
    -FLying lesson
    -Do a session at the rally school of Ireland
    -Go out with Sabine around the Nurburgring in an M5
    -Do some rugid adventures like Bear Grylls!

I see my myself almost like a modern hippy, not too bothered about climbing the
    employment ladder, with the 9-5 job, 2.4 kids etc, its too boring. Thats probably why I love my 4am jogs and winter mountain biking excursions in freezing and wet weather so much.

Advertisement