Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dining in westmeath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Dame Edna wrote: »
    Why not try the Tyrrellspass Castle its about 30 mins if not less from Athlone and really nice and the food is great!

Yes the food is lovely there indeed!

A few years a go i was at a 70th a good bit from Athlone on the Galway side and theres a sort of converted mill on the banks of the shannon (can;t think of the name) but the service, atmosphere and food was mighty - all i remember is having the wild boar and feeling like i was in food heaven. Don't think theres anywhere decent in Moate or kilbeggan ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Anyone eaten in "Hatters" in Athlone town? Heading there in a couple of weeks. Nice and close to Gerties, lovely pub...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The moate and Baily in Mount Temple, Di Belle and The Left Bank Bistro beside the castle in Athlone.

Grogans, Glasson Village Restraunt.

Wine port is ****e, trust me, I know...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

lightening wrote: »
    Anyone eaten in "Hatters" in Athlone town? Heading there in a couple of weeks. Nice and close to Gerties, lovely pub...

Hatters is good alright, the old Head Chef, Donal, left about a year ago and opened The top Deck right across the road, and that is nice aswell.

Athlone is still lacking a really top class kitchen thought, a lot of good/avrage kitchens but nowhere special, and a few way over hyped/over priced places too, Wineport and le chateau spring to mind in the later section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

damalo wrote: »
    Just wanted to update and say I went to the village restraunt...it was amazing. Service and food were 110%. My advice is to book as late as possible so you dont have to rush to make way for another booking.

Thanks for the recommendation...bloody marvellous :D

i live less than 2 minutes from that restaurant and iv never been there before, i must give it a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Seaneh wrote: »
    The moate and Baily in Mount Temple, Di Belle and The Left Bank Bistro beside the castle in Athlone.

Thats Motte and Bailey..

Moate is the town near it.

I love de 'ol Town of athlone.

Great nightlife imo great food, and im there to keep the women happy ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm not an Athlone native but I do know the town very well and the places to eat in that I'd recommend would be:

Wineport, Glasson
    Village Restaurant, Glasson
    Left Bank Bistro, Town centre
    Le Chateau, Town centre
    Pavarotti's, Town centre
    RiverS, Town centre

I've been to the Tyrellspass Castle "restaurant" and it was awful. Horrible tourist trap as another poster put it. The best food served in Tyrellspass is in The Village Hotel.

Seaneh wrote: »

I go there nearly every month, its fantastic, did you have a bad experience, go for an xmas do? What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I've been to the Tyrellspass Castle "restaurant" and it was awful. Horrible tourist trap as another poster put it. The best food served in Tyrellspass is in The Village Hotel.

Yes, the hotel is grand... although coming home from Athlone yesterday (everything was closed there as it was before noon) we got to Tyrellspass and figured we would eat there.. by now it was about 12:30 or so. they were not serving food.. just pub sandwiches.. still it was nice but my wife wanted some proper food :D
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    Anyone been to Woodville House in Mullingar?
    Any reviews if the food / dining experience is good?

ta

I want to ask the same Question... Its only up the road from me... look at their website... apparently they are offering a courtesy car or free room for the night if you want to drink??? Im assuming its fine dining and pretty expensive... they seem to have a fancy new chef they are happy about.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Haven't tried the new Woodville but it looks good and the courtesy car idea sounds like a plan!

Any other good places to eat in the 'other end' of Westmeath (Mullingar/surrounds)? Both 'fine dining' and the less expensive - more family oriented - options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 mkv83

JupiterKid wrote: »

i'm pretty sure the Village hotel has been closed by the health and safety people....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Went to the new Olive Grove the other week but wasnt overly impressed.

Inside was nice enough but a few poor sods were put at tables beside the
    doors onto the decking and they were frozed out of it.
    2 couples asked to be reseated 2 minutes after sitting down.
    They had a little fan heater plugged in at the top of the resteraunt.

Food was ok but I thought the menu was limited enough.
    We got steaks, 1st one ordered was Medium, I asked for mine to be
    cooked Medium aswell ... unfortunately the waitress wrote it down as cook
    it Well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pubpub

Both 'fine dining' and the less expensive - more family oriented - options?

For fine dining around Mullingar I would say the Belfry on the Castlepollard - it was amazing - apparently it is under new management so I don't know what it is like now. To be honest best town for dining is Tullamore - amazing selection of restaurants compared to Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Jees...really started off a nice conversation on the topic :)

T'pass castle is grand if your on the road or just want a standard lunch. Its deffo not somewhere I'd bring someone for a date! That said the food is nice and there's not much waiting around. The time I was there before I was driving back from Dub to Galway and needed something quick. Job done there

Am going to try out "Hatters" (?) in Athlone this weekend - I've heard good things about it.

BTW thanks to all who replied to my initial post - things went so well along the weeks we're going out now ;) yeehaww You Athlone people are the biz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Good for you.

Hatters is a nice cosy place. Good food, good atmosphere and not too pricey. Very good place for a date and Gertie's upstairs isn't bad either. There's an internal stairs between the two as well.

pubpub wrote: »
    For fine dining around Mullingar I would say the Belfry on the Castlepollard - it was amazing - apparently it is under new management so I don't know what it is like now. To be honest best town for dining is Tullamore - amazing selection of restaurants compared to Mullingar.
    is the Belfry reopened already? The previous owners closed before xmas, apparently they are opening somewhere in Mullingar town (worth keeping an eye out for, they ran a good restaurant in the Belfry!).

Yeah, Damalo, good thread, there was a sticky but it died a death, sometimes these threads are better than a sticky.

Gerties is a lovely pup. Lots of clutter, but clean, great atmosphere, no wide screen tv's (I think)...

Looking forward to Hatters myself, been put off till Feb now.

OK i tried the Woodville house last night. It was not as impressive as i hoped.
    Lovely place, staff were friendly.. i think its unfair to judge as its a new chef, new menu etc.
    I had a soup for starters and it was very nice, My Riggatoni pasta was also very nice, However the new chef seems to have a fettish for putting red peppercorns on everything.. possibly even the desert but i did not wait to find out, i was stuffed :D
    My wife had a Fillet steak, it was VERY tender and lovely.. but it said it came with a meddly of veg and creamed potatoes. The medly of veg was deep fried, dry crispy veg and no potato in sight. Red peppercorns everywhere.. My pasta came as described but again, peppercorns everywhere. Her ceaser salad did not taste good to me, red peppercorns on that too... Its possible because the chef is Italian he made it properly and its not as nice as standard caeser dressing to me.

We got a nice wine from a special list, only €16.99

The bill never arrived so after 20 mins so we left and tracked down a till and then spent another 15 mins waiting while they figured out the till and removed a desert that had not been ordered. I did not even know about it till they explained the delay at the end.

Im not going to write them off... As i said, new menu and chef but i did not like what came with the steak.
    Oh on the plus side, apart from lovely surroundings and staff, We got a big bread basket with different breads and bread sticks, and also a complementary starter not on the menu, it was deep fried something... not sure.. but it was lovely.

The meal with wine and starter, no desert/tea etc came to under €80

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Yeah, Damalo, good thread, there was a sticky but it died a death, sometimes these threads are better than a sticky.

Gerties is a lovely pup. Lots of clutter, but clean, great atmosphere, no wide screen tv's (I think)...

Looking forward to Hatters myself, been put off till Feb now.

Was @ Hatters last night. Great service..nice and quick and it was the late sitting so they werent trying to get us out the door before the next sitting.

Gertie's was v v busy but is a pretty nice bar...imagine it would be a really nice place if it wasnt so packed. Music was gak also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

Thyme is a new restaurant where the olive grove used to be and its very nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

Hi,

Oscars , Fat Cats, The Belfry are all in Mullingar and are fab!

Aubergine in Longford

Keenans in Tarmonbarry, just outside Longford

Di Bella in Athlone are all lovely!

Grogans in Glasson or The Village Restaurant in Glasson..

damalo wrote: »
    Was @ Hatters last night. Great service..nice and quick...

I was there on Saturday. Great place, unusual decor. I felt like I was in a train. We had a sort of booth, two benches facing each other, very private and really pleasant.

Mussels were really good, great sauce. I asked for my steak rare and it was nearly raw in the middle. Perfect. Great value on wine too...

Was back at woodville on Saturday night, a much much better experience than the last one. The food was excellent, there was a lot less of those red peppercorns. Service was much faster, we got the bill quick enough this time. We just went to the till to pay though and left the tip on the table.

This time my dad came with us, he had the same steak dish my wife had and was surprised by how soft it was. He got the veg and potato that my wife never got the last time.
    Myself and the wife both had the Red snapper which was lovely. We were warned after our starter that our main meal would be another 20 minutes due to the fact they cook everything fresh there. My dad explained it would be our fish, which usually is cooked slowly or else it will dry out and become tough. He used to be a chef in the 70'/80's
    That was grand as we were told instead if left wondering.

This time, like last we got a free beginner. this time it was 3 little Brushetta as well as the basket of bread and breadsticks everyone gets. :D

The meal for 3 (with starters), and bottle of wine and Coffee, Baileys coffee and Baileys hot chocolte (not on menu, i asked them to add some in :D) came to €159 i think. My dad paid and left a €5 tip, i ran back in when i got my coat and left another €5 (all i had on me).

Saruman wrote: »
    €159 i think. My dad paid and left a €5 tip, i ran back in when i got my coat and left another €5 (all i had on me).

Jaysus!!! That's a terrible tip for an excellent meal! The standard is 10% for allright food and service and 15% for good food and service. Thank God you went back... these dads, living in the eighties some of them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

Anyone heard of Top Deck in Athlone? Where is it? Any reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Featherl wrote: »
    Anyone heard of Top Deck in Athlone? Where is it? Any reviews?

Yes, I've been there a few times and I it's been really good on all occasions.
    Food is top notch, staff are good and very friendly and the prices are decent
    too. They've recently opened the 3rd floor as a bar and dining area.

Its situated near the town bridge, and is on top of the old Ginkles niteclub,
    beside the Genoa. The restaurant now occupies the 2nd and 3rd floor.

Jaysus!!! That's a terrible tip for an excellent meal! The standard is 10% for allright food and service and 15% for good food and service. Thank God you went back... these dads, living in the eighties some of them....

In fairness, there is no "standard" as you put it. There is no obligation to tip, most people working in restaurants are paid a decent wage... as in over minimum wage, more than your average supermarket or penneys employee (who you do not tip :D)

Meh... see the tipping thread for my thoughts on tipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

Any of the three places in Glasson are excellent... prefer the village in (Farrells) and Grogan though... always excellent...

Finally tried Woodville - thought it was fairly middle of the road, not as 'cutting edge' as the hype would have it. The food was good (both had beef dishes) and plentiful but not 'special' which the prices would suggest they should be. Thought the wine list was good with a good few nice wines at reasonable prices.

But with the Belfry and Crookedwood House both gone, and Woodville not reaching those standards, it leaves Mullinagar without a top notch restaurant imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

muckety wrote: »
    But with the Belfry and Crookedwood House both gone, and Woodville not reaching those standards, it leaves Mullinagar without a top notch restaurant imho.

The Belfry and Crookedwood House are big loses all right, have you tried the Annabrook hotel yet?

Advertisement