Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dining in westmeath

Options
  • 17-12-2007 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm wondering does anyone know a really nice place to bring someone for lunch in or around Athlone. Its for a date and would be a lunch thing rather than evening time thing. I was thinking of something outside Athlone in some country club / hotel or something. Anything up to 45mins outside of the town would be great.

Anyone got any good reports or even the name of some hotels outside the town?

Thanks 1 mill,

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

If it's a Sunday try the Village Restaurant in Glasson. It's about 10 minutes north of Athlone on the Ballymahon/Longford road. Don't think they do daytime food on weekdays.

Wineport Lodge just outside Glasson is also worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Wineport looks v nice indeed and so does the other place. Just what I was looking for..just hope they're both open on a Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Also pick a golf club. The restaurants are usually open to the public.

Saruman wrote: »
    Also pick a golf club. The restaurants are usually open to the public.

Sounds great...do you have the name of one? I'm not from the area so am clueless.

Again, around the Glasson area. All the nice places are there :D
    Cant think of the name.. might be just http://www.glassongolf.ie/
    The one im thinking if is just at the end of town, take a left and head as if you are going towards the water.

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    Again, around the Glasson area. All the nice places are there :D
    Cant think of the name.. might be just http://www.glassongolf.ie/
    The one im thinking if is just at the end of town, take a left and head as if you are going towards the water.

Sounds good - ill check that one out aswell. Appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

damalo wrote: »
    Wineport looks v nice indeed and so does the other place. Just what I was looking for..just hope they're both open on a Saturday!

Yeah, second both of them. Fantastic places, great food. Glasson Village restaurant is amazing value, the Wineport is certainly worth it, but will cost that little bit more.

lightening wrote: »
    Yeah, second both of them. Fantastic places, great food. Glasson Village restaurant is amazing value, the Wineport is certainly worth it, but will cost that little bit more.

Looks like the village restraunt is only open on the Sunday but the wineport appears to be on a saturday..being a hotel i'd expect them to me

Thanks again!

Both places not open on a Saturday...for lunch..any other ideas? Worst comes to worse ill make it a Sunday cause some of these places look pretty nice.

The Village Restaurant is well worth it if you can go on a Sunday. As a possible alternative for lunch on Saturday, you have the Olive Grove in Athlone town beside the bridge. If it's a sunny day and you get a table beside the window it can be really good.

• Advertisement

Occidental wrote: »
    The Village Restaurant is well worth it if you can go on a Sunday. As a possible alternative for lunch on Saturday, you have the Olive Grove in Athlone town beside the bridge. If it's a sunny day and you get a table beside the window it can be really good.

I just read about that place. Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dame Edna

Why not try the Tyrrellspass Castle its about 30 mins if not less from Athlone and really nice and the food is great!

Hey, just like everywhere in the country, expect a 25% reduction in quality during xmas time. Office partys, rushed kitchens, xmas reduced menus....

I have been out the last few nights and dining hasn't been great.

(the ethnics are good though!)

Yeah that would add up alright on the service...as long as the setting is nice though I dont mind. Hopefully hitting lunch instead of dinner will mean the service wont have degraded so much

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

If you are looking for a nice lunch, outside of town, there are a few places, Grogans in Glasson do food during day, its nice and scenic out there, parking is bit of pain tho. On the Connaught side then, near the castle you have Left Bank Bistro, its lovely, and you are near the river for a walk down past barracks along the shore if you feel up to it.
    The Olive Grove is lovely, esp now that it moved. A great new palce is the Motte and Bailey. Its out in Mount Temple. Come off dual carraigeway for Ballymahon/Longford, if coming from dublin its the first slip road. If coming from Galway its the 3rd.
    There is a road parallel to the on-ramp to Dublin, if you are on the dual carraigeway you can see Heatmerchants etc through the bushes. Thats the road to Mount Temple/Baylin. It also on same side as Ericssons factory, so you know you've missed it if you reach Ericssons on your RHS. Follow signs for Mount Temple, you drive through Moydrum to get there. Alternatively if in Moate follow signs for Mount Temple. The resteraunt is in the village, near golf club. Chef is ex-Olive grove, so is v good!

Enjoy Athlone! Haha never thought I would say that!
    Oh and if you are in town, near Golden Island is coffee shop called Coffee Haven, they do nice food, tasty and large portions for reasonable prices! The coffee is lovely too.

thalia_13 wrote: »
    If you are looking for a nice lunch, outside of town, there are a few places, Grogans in Glasson do food during day, its nice and scenic out there, parking is bit of pain tho. On the Connaught side then, near the castle you have Left Bank Bistro, its lovely, and you are near the river for a walk down past barracks along the shore if you feel up to it.
    The Olive Grove is lovely, esp now that it moved. A great new palce is the Motte and Bailey. Its out in Mount Temple. Come off dual carraigeway for Ballymahon/Longford, if coming from dublin its the first slip road. If coming from Galway its the 3rd.
    There is a road parallel to the on-ramp to Dublin, if you are on the dual carraigeway you can see Heatmerchants etc through the bushes. Thats the road to Mount Temple/Baylin. It also on same side as Ericssons factory, so you know you've missed it if you reach Ericssons on your RHS. Follow signs for Mount Temple, you drive through Moydrum to get there. Alternatively if in Moate follow signs for Mount Temple. The resteraunt is in the village, near golf club. Chef is ex-Olive grove, so is v good!

Oh and if you are in town, near Golden Island is coffee shop called Coffee Haven, they do nice food, tasty and large portions for reasonable prices! The coffee is lovely too.

Wow thanks for all of that. Left bank is tops alright :)

I've booked the village restraunt in Glasson for the evening. We'll see how it lives up to the good reviews :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

A great new palce is the Motte and Bailey. Its out in Mount Temple. Come off dual carraigeway for Ballymahon/Longford, if coming from dublin its the first slip road. If coming from Galway its the 3rd.
    There is a road parallel to the on-ramp to Dublin, if you are on the dual carraigeway you can see Heatmerchants etc through the bushes. Thats the road to Mount Temple/Baylin. It also on same side as Ericssons factory, so you know you've missed it if you reach Ericssons on your RHS. Follow signs for Mount Temple, you drive through Moydrum to get there. Alternatively if in Moate follow signs for Mount Temple. The resteraunt is in the village, near golf club. Chef is ex-Olive grove, so is v good.

Just a small correction for all that it matters. If you are coming from Galway, it would be the fifth and final exit off the by-pass, not the third.

Thanks again to all you guys and gals.

/me thinks people from Athlone are v nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anyone been to Woodville House in Mullingar?
    Any reviews if the food / dining experience is good?

ta

whyulittle wrote: »
    Just a small correction for all that it matters. If you are coming from Galway, it would be the fifth and final exit off the by-pass, not the third.

god yeah your right, i dont really venture over to the roscommon side completely forgot bout the elan exits etc...

• Advertisement

More and more of my Dublin friends are spending time in Athlone, the river, the wineport, the food, the deerfarm, the town, the pubs, the taxis, the hotels, and again, the biggest asset...

The river.

Dame Edna wrote: »
    Why not try the Tyrrellspass Castle its about 30 mins if not less from Athlone and really nice and the food is great!
    Was this a joke?
    Seriously though... the food is not even good compared to a below average pub. the only thing it has going for it is its a castle, and once inside any spell you were under dies when you realise its like a small town cafe restaurant.

So unless there is another restaurant inside i do not know about, and i would hope not since i spent almost an hour in the hallway waiting for a table.. then this is a rubbish tourist trap.

More and more of my Dublin friends are spending time in Athlone, the river, the wineport, the food, the deerfarm, the town, the pubs, the taxis, the hotels, and again, the biggest asset...

The river.

Is Glendeer not closed altogether? Might have some Xmas thing going on at the mo, but far as I know they closed it down. Seeing as I come from Athlone I have an unfair bias...might be nice now but you didnt have to grow up there when there was no shopping centres, or cinema, or anything to do bar go to the library!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

god yeah your right, i dont really venture over to the roscommon side completely forgot bout the elan exits etc...

Sure who could blame ya! ;)

Is Glendeer not closed altogether? Might have some Xmas thing going on at the mo, but far as I know they closed it down. Seeing as I come from Athlone I have an unfair bias...might be nice now but you didnt have to grow up there when there was no shopping centres, or cinema, or anything to do bar go to the library!

A lot of school coaches going in and out of Glendeer this past few weeks.

but you didnt have to grow up there when there was no shopping centres, or cinema, or anything to do bar go to the library!

I don't like shopping centres, I don't really like cinemas.

When you were growing up did you avail of the river or all the lakes? Fishing, rowing, canoeing, sailing? That is some amenity to have lying at your feet.

I don't like shopping centres, I don't really like cinemas.

When you were growing up did you avail of the river or all the lakes? Fishing, rowing, canoeing, sailing? That is some amenity to have lying at your feet.

Of course I did, I was just stating that Athlone might be attracting lots of people now, but years ago there was nothing there for anyone. Bar German fishermen. I grew up near Lough Ree, spent every day of every summer down there, my best friend lived beside the lake, so I spent most of my youth outside in the countryside, not shopping/cinemas etc. For tourists to the town now, there is alot to do apart from avail of the shannon and lakes. Years ago there wasnt even anywhere decent for them to get a meal.

One downside of the growth of the town is the amount of fast food places, I remember it was only the Big Snack, and if you got brought there once a year you were lucky. Its sickening walking down the streets or even in the countryside these days and seeing supermac or mcdonalds wrappers discarded everywhere.

Anyhow back on topic, OP hope you enjoy the meal/date! :)

Just wanted to update and say I went to the village restraunt...it was amazing. Service and food were 110%. My advice is to book as late as possible so you dont have to rush to make way for another booking.

Thanks for the recommendation...bloody marvellous :D

Glad you enjoyed it. I've always thought it had a great athmosphere and the food's been consistently brilliant for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pubpub

Completely disagree about the Tyrrellspass Castle - food is great - portions are huge - absolutely love the veg and you have to get the garlic potatoes - tip from a local ring before you go - even if its only half hour or twenty minutes before hand and you won't be waiting long. Usually go for Sunday lunch and the only problem I have is the lunch menu rarely changes - but as we say if its not broken..... though it seems that the evening dinner menu is much more adverturous

Advertisement