Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Anxiety disorder

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

so_tense wrote: »
    Hi,
    I feel very similar. I just realised this when my physio said I am a very tense person. He said I need to relax more or try meditation. That the tension is contributing to me picking up injuries so easily. He wasn't sure why I am so tense - maybe stress, work, etc. But I actually believe it's because of social anxiety!

Even the most mundane things like answering the door, answering the phone, calling someone, even texting someone, cause me to tense up and get very very anxious. I really hate why this happens. Such simple things are having a negative effect on my life.
    I feel tense going meeting people or even walking down the street I tense up and think people are looking at me. Just saying hello to someone makes me tense up and my mind starts going into overdrive with negative thoughts - did I sound stupid, I sound foolish, etc...

I really want to be self confident, relaxed and not get anxious/tense about such trivial things.

Please help!
    Thanks!

Hey, The best thing thats necessary to do in order to start getting your life back is to either contact a private psychology association or attend your G.P. who will refer you to public health service who will arrange an appointment with you to see a mental health team with the hse who will then if needs be transfer you the the psychiatry department where you will attend a psychiatrist every now and then for check ups and who will if necessary refer to some sort of phycotherapy to help you deal with your s.a.
    The public way takes longer max. a year and a bit to get you into psychology sessions. But it is free unlike private which can be quite dear. Theres no anxiety free way of doing this.. but you have to be strong! easier said than done I know.. another option would be to help yourself... buy self help books or attend groups such as grow and others... you'll find them if you search in google...
    As a fellow sufferer of ill-mental health individual therapy/group and self help as helped me out... medication can be risky but everyone is different

sorry , hope I was of assistance....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Hi. Has anyone tried panicyl? I came across it on google and there are a lot of positive reviews, but its hard to estimate how many of them are spam by the company manufacturing it.

Hey there,

I wouldn't suggest that panicyl thing, seems like a bit of a scam. If you think you are suffering from an anxiety or nervous disorder contact your GP and don't comb through the internet looking for apparent 'cures'. Linden's Method, Panic No More etc. were all pretty ineffective imo. I tried Magnesium for awhile for Panic and Anxiety, as well as other herbal stuff (Rescue Remedy and Kalms). I think all the herbal medication, the non-herbal medication (Xanax/ Lexapro) and the apparent 'cures' only slowed me down from dealing with my problems properly. Take a short cut, get a CBT counselor/ talk to your GP and don't bother wasting time and money on things that claim to 'cure' anxiety (you can't 'cure' anxiety, that's a silly notion! but you can control it!).

Take care,
    Ss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Hey there,

I wouldn't suggest that panicyl thing, seems like a bit of a scam. If you think you are suffering from an anxiety or nervous disorder contact your GP and don't comb through the internet looking for apparent 'cures'. Linden's Method, Panic No More etc. were all pretty ineffective imo. I tried Magnesium for awhile for Panic and Anxiety, as well as other herbal stuff (Rescue Remedy and Kalms). I think all the herbal medication, the non-herbal medication (Xanax/ Lexapro) and the apparent 'cures' only slowed me down from dealing with my problems properly. Take a short cut, get a CBT counselor/ talk to your GP and don't bother wasting time and money on things that claim to 'cure' anxiety (you can't 'cure' anxiety, that's a silly notion! but you can control it!).

Take care,
    Ss

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting counselling alright but my counsellor suggested I take some medication to help me along with the process. I went to the doctor and he prescribed some SSRI but I'm not happy about the idea of taking them. I really don't trust pharmaceuticals and doctors who are being paid commission by them. I'm only mildly depressed, anxiety is my big problem, I think the depression is a symtom of the anxiety and not the reverse.

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting counselling alright but my counsellor suggested I take some medication to help me along with the process. I went to the doctor and he prescribed some SSRI but I'm not happy about the idea of taking them. I really don't trust pharmaceuticals and doctors who are being paid commission by them. I'm only mildly depressed, anxiety is my big problem, I think the depression is a symtom of the anxiety and not the reverse.

You got it in one. Although I'm not a trained counselor/ GP etc. I have been through the mill in terms of anxiety. I was very concerned that I was becoming depressed. My CBT counselor informed my that depression is usually a symptom of anxiety and that anxiety (mostly) be the main problem. When the anxiety is dealt with properly, the depression usually dissipates.

I was in counseling for my anxiety for nearly four months when I realised that I wasn't getting anything out of it. I was told by my doctor to go to CBT counseling and even heard a great programme that Gerry Ryan's show about anxiety and they said CBT all the way. I thought I was going to CBT! Turns out she wasn't a CBT counselor. I ended up finding another one on the net who turned out to be a lifesaver. Really simplified my problems. I still get anxious but it rarely bothers me... I've been going to CBT for around nine months (went weekly and then every second week and now when I need to.. so probably 15 sessions or so). My CBT would never suggest meds unless it was very intense. Are you sure your counselor is the best thing for you right now? Not that I'm telling you what to do! Just, meds mask problems. This is totally my opinion and I know that others (including counselors and very good doctors) think that SSRIs are the way forward. I just think I'm emotionally stronger thanks to CBT. Don't want to sound preachy. It's not for everyone and it doens't work for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

doctors are not paid commission by pharma companies to prescribe their drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

CBT?? wrote: »
    You got it in one. Although I'm not a trained counselor/ GP etc. I have been through the mill in terms of anxiety. I was very concerned that I was becoming depressed. My CBT counselor informed my that depression is usually a symptom of anxiety and that anxiety (mostly) be the main problem. When the anxiety is dealt with properly, the depression usually dissipates.

I was in counseling for my anxiety for nearly four months when I realised that I wasn't getting anything out of it. I was told by my doctor to go to CBT counseling and even heard a great programme that Gerry Ryan's show about anxiety and they said CBT all the way. I thought I was going to CBT! Turns out she wasn't a CBT counselor. I ended up finding another one on the net who turned out to be a lifesaver. Really simplified my problems. I still get anxious but it rarely bothers me... I've been going to CBT for around nine months (went weekly and then every second week and now when I need to.. so probably 15 sessions or so). My CBT would never suggest meds unless it was very intense. Are you sure your counselor is the best thing for you right now? Not that I'm telling you what to do! Just, meds mask problems. This is totally my opinion and I know that others (including counselors and very good doctors) think that SSRIs are the way forward. I just think I'm emotionally stronger thanks to CBT. Don't want to sound preachy. It's not for everyone and it doens't work for everyone.

Hi,
    I have had difficulty finding a proper CBT counselor. Would be delighted if you could pass on details of your one.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Excuse the slight necro on this old thread; anyone able to PM me info on a good CBT counselor, who could help specifically with SA? (or a good place to look for one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Mod edit: Off-topic post deleted. I'm not sure how you thought your post was relevant to the OP Bob. Please show sone consideration in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Oh also, I remember this forum from years ago, which may be of use to some:
    http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/

Tbh it's not that healthy to hang around it regularly, due to others problems there, but there is sometimes useful info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

My little website. Not very good. Was a project on a basic web design course
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~misfits

Advertisement