Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,059 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Aseth wrote: »
    Permanent TSB - friendly and professional staff, everything sorted exactly as I needed.

Some woman (don't know who she is) gained access to my friends online bank account with TSB a couple of months ago. She had been trying to access her own account but managed to open his instead. She rang TSB and, according to her, they could not have cared less. My friend only found out about it because this woman actually called to his house (got his address from the account) to tell him what had happened.

My mate rang TSB to see what the story was, they put him on hold, tolld him they would call him back (never did ) and when my mate rang them back, no one had any idea what he was talking about!

He has since closed his accounts with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I bought a tv from Richersounds and I wasn't too happy with teh picture. Their MD, John McDonald rang me up and offered a replacement or a refund, no questions asked. Now thats damn good customer service. Thats why I'd buy from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I've just gotten home from a few days in Cork. I was staying at one of the airport hotels and had to get a bus into the city if I needed to go anywhere.

I used the Skylink service several times and was very impressed. For a start, there is a bus to the city every half hour and, unlike Bus Eireann, the buses actually arrived and departed on time. The staff were cheerful and helped people with their luggage etc.

I would never use Bus Eireann's crap service again after using this company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Bigeamo

I never seem to remember the good ones but I never forget the bad ones...

Ryanair - Almost lead to me being arrested in an airport in France

Perlico - I know that they have changed but I could never bring myself to ever give them another chance

CDWOW - just go to HMV, honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

sent my nokia away for repair to some place in sandyford and when it returned it had the reciept from someone elses N80 internet tablet attached showing his name address where it was purchased etc rang the company but after the 1st minute on hold i hung up and posted it back to its rightful owner with a note explaining who i was.

o2 customer care are fantastic, very efficient and professional. dealt with them once and was reassured that they knew what they were talking about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

foggy_lad wrote: »
    sent my nokia away for repair to some place in sandyford and when it returned it had the reciept from someone elses N80 internet tablet attached showing his name address where it was purchased etc rang the company but after the 1st minute on hold i hung up and posted it back to its rightful owner with a note explaining who i was.

o2 customer care are fantastic, very efficient and professional. dealt with them once and was reassured that they knew what they were talking about!

Mobile Phone Repair Company
    http://www.mprc.ie/default.asp

A bad company who would replace their staff for somebody who would work for
    2p less a day.
    They have another company in sandyford who do all of Vodafones phones
    Packaging and deliveries to stores who were fined a few years back for
    having a complete illegal work force.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭limbovski

So I bought quite an expensive bed from Dekko up north. The delivery company they use imo were pants. 5 times over 10 days I rang them and they didn't return my calls. I don't want to get into it but it was bad enough to make me never go in there again (they have some real nice stuff too :mad:)

So I actually bothered to use the feedback form on their website to let them know about this. Within 2 hours they called me :eek:, apologised :), refunded my delivery :D and assured me if there was any problems with the bed they'd sort it out. Absolutely outstanding outcome in my opinion. I will definitly shop there again. This is the essence of good customer service imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Dell were great again recently. My laptop battery decided to go a bit mad and I e-mailed them about the problem. Within a day it was sorted and a new battery is now on the way, free even though the year warranty is just up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

janeybabe wrote: »
    Dell were great again recently. My laptop battery decided to go a bit mad and I e-mailed them about the problem. Within a day it was sorted and a new battery is now on the way, free even though the year warranty is just up.
    oh i do love that out of warrenty after sales service, sign of a company that really cares about there customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Kevin
    Talk Talk
    Nice chap. Very helpful. The rest of Talk Talk...hmm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Young girl, dark hair at till. Has to be one of the most helpful and friendly store assistants in ages.
    And it was early when i went in... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Halfords in Kilkenny.

I used to be a very loyal customer but there customer service has gone so bad that I won't be going back.

Three times recently I have run in to get something small and have been left standing at the till for an unreasonable amount of time. There were staff on the floor trying their hardest not to make eye contact and last night one staff member was outside the shop messing about with his friends while I was left at the till. Twice now I've walked out without what I need because I refused to wait any longer.

Last night I was told they could not install a bulb as I had no receipt, despite the fact that it said Halfords on the packet. I also bought a steering wheel lock which doesn't fit my car so I wanted to exchange it, but I had lost the receipt. I know this is my fault but the box says 'exclusively made for Halfords' on it. Anyway they will only exchange it for something of equal value and I was told that I could not part exchange it for something more expensive and pay the difference. I had a 15% discount on the lock so it's an awkward price meaning there is no way I can make up the price again and am stuck with a lock that I can't use.

All of this goes on when the manager isn't there. She is brilliant - really helpful and knows her stuff. But the rest of the staff are dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Worst: In the last week, I've got 'deleted not read' email receipts from both Tesco and O2 for emails sent to them 16 (O2) and 23 (Tesco) months ago. See http://serialcomplainer.com for more details.

Best: Aer Arann, and in particular their American-accented steward Troy who entertained me with genuinely funny jibes and commentary on an internal flight this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

:mad: Rants:
    NTL - 8 months to cancel an account and receive a refund. Finally sorted with legal action.

Nintendo - 3 months now waiting for a faulty Wii to be replaced. They finally sent one Friday, and that's not working at all - even worse than the one they replaced.

GLS couriers - surly, unpleasant and generally incompetent.

:D Raves:
    Homebase, Fonthill - fantastic quick friendly service - they even recut a piece of wood for me that I had mismeasured.

AIB - both my own branch and 24 hour service have always been extremely pleasant and helpful.

Halfords, Liffey Valley - have bought a number of things from them recently and they've always been very pleasant and efficient. From the other tales on here, maybe it's just that shop though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 keyboardist

I bought furniture in Cork (no names mentioned) and found after I had bought it that the company was advertising a Summer Sale on their website with large discounts. I should have read Ten Top Tips before Buying Furniture before my shopping trip. Some good sound advise there like bringing a camera and a note book and a tape measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Arsenal's Online shop, Good Service .. received a broken item.. sent a new one out with no problems :D

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Clearwire: Utterly appalling experience that resulted in them selling non-existant debt to a debt collection agency. Me notes my framed apologies from both companies :)

Dell: Bought a laptop from them for a Christmas present, they delivered to wrong address and took 2 weeks to reclaim it from that address whilst all the time refusing to send out a new one to me. They intended to reclaim it, check it and reseal it if necessary and send back out to me, i demanded a brand new one. I eventually prevailed after spending two hours on the phone refusing to get off of it. Won't ever buy from them again, incredibly rude staff who lost the information on my case over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

stakey wrote: »
    Dell: Bought a laptop from them for a Christmas present, they delivered to wrong address and took 2 weeks to reclaim it from that address whilst all the time refusing to send out a new one to me. They intended to reclaim it, check it and reseal it if necessary and send back out to me, i demanded a brand new one.

How would you tell the difference between a brand new one, and a checked/resealed one?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

:D A big thumbs up to Amazon.com - Quite simply the BEST of service, always efficient and faultless transactions. Have used them about 10 times and every transaction was a pleasure and delivered in the blink of an eye!!

:D Marks & Spencer - Whatever training / induction courses they use for their staff should be recommended to every other grocery outlet.... I have found them to be always helpful, polite and nothing is ever too much trouble. They are lovely people. Well done, esp. those at the Naas branch!

:D Barker & Jones bookstore in Naas - very courteous friendly staff always ready to help you and nearly get upset if they don't have what you're looking for! Brilliant.

:mad: Eircom, useless call centre, ignorant obnoxious engineers, disinterested 'supervisors' - I use the word loosely - mostly these bad apples seem to be the junk left over from the old P&T days and have major chips on their shoulders...mustn't have been offered the right redundancy wad a few years ago and so we customers must suffer....

:mad: Superquinn Walkinstown - I remember a few years ago it was a pleasure to shop there but now they have some of the rudest staff that simply do not care what you have to say or what you want, they couldn't give a flying phuck if you never come back.
    Watched one day while the checkout beast nearly jumped out her pelt when she was handed a €200 note and says she'd never seen one of those and therefore couldn't accept it .... demanded the customer give her some other 'ordinary' money, the customer insisted it was legal tender. After much tut-tutting the checkout beast gets up and goes over to another cashier and they have a natter about the offending note for a few minutes while shooting suspicious glances at the customer, comes back and announces, she'll accept it this time. Customer says not to bother asks for her €200 note back and walks away leaving a week's worth of groceries piled up at the checkout while the beast nearly gags herself with rage! Well done that customer...!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Worst: have had horrible trouble with meteor-they overcharged me before and after a lovely girl promised me they'd reimberse me i had an absolute git of a manager telling me she made the whole thing up:rolleyes: he was actually shouting down the phone at me!

PCworld-every time i go in to my local branch there's no sales staff!!like literally nobody around!!and the last time i was in i went to ask a staff member something as he was rushing passed and he shouted(without even turning around!)that we'd have to wait for someone else!

Best:Vision Express; the receptionist and optician were fantastic, the optician spent ages with me,really great and couldn't do enough for me(sales team were a bit of a pain in the bum though!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

mixer101 wrote: »
    Eircom, useless call centre, ignorant obnoxious engineers, disinterested 'supervisors' - I use the word loosely - mostly these bad apples seem to be the junk left over from the old P&T days and have major chips on their shoulders...mustn't have been offered the right redundancy wad a few years ago and so we customers must suffer

just as another side to the coin there - I've had my problems with eircom broadband support in the past but I rang on Friday with a weird problem, and the guy who answered the call could not have been more professional. He took the details, advised me what he could do to help, and than rang me back a couple of hours later to say he'd been thinking about the problem and it might be something else - went through all my options and fixed the problem. Richard, from Eircom broadband support - I tip my hat to you, first class job.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

PCworld-every time i go in to my local branch there's no sales staff!!like literally nobody around!!and the last time i was in i went to ask a staff member something as he was rushing passed and he shouted(without even turning around!)that we'd have to wait for someone else!

It's the same in Harvey Norman. There's never any staff around. Once I went in there and they were all standing in a corner drinking coffee. When I finally got someone to help me he couldn't have been less interested. I asked him the difference between two webcams and he said 'well that one is more expensive.' No sh1t sherlock, I can read prices! Your job is to explain to me about things I don't understand and then to get me to buy something.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

tbh wrote: »
    just as another side to the coin there - I've had my problems with eircom broadband support in the past but I rang on Friday with a weird problem, and the guy who answered the call could not have been more professional. He took the details, advised me what he could do to help, and than rang me back a couple of hours later to say he'd been thinking about the problem and it might be something else - went through all my options and fixed the problem. Richard, from Eircom broadband support - I tip my hat to you, first class job.
    I rang eircom to get a wireless modem. Weve been using a wired version with them for about 4 years. "Sorry, but no. Wireless modems are free for new customers only, thatll cost you €80". I thought this was a bit daft, I could leave them and sign up again ten minutes later and get a new modem (they agreed I could) AND Id been a loyal customer for 4 years.

It took almost a half an hour of me refusing to accept no, or pay eighty quid, and being passed from one level to another, before I got some person in a position to agree to send a new modem foc. And it was only because it was either "give it to me or I disconnect altogether". He was quite grudging about it, maybe he gets a kickback from the payment. :)

Bad form, not looking after existing customers, eircom. I wonder how many less pushy people paid up for the modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Oryx wrote: »
    I rang eircom to get a wireless modem. Weve been using a wired version with them for about 4 years. "Sorry, but no. Wireless modems are free for new customers only, thatll cost you €80". I thought this was a bit daft, I could leave them and sign up again ten minutes later and get a new modem (they agreed I could) AND Id been a loyal customer for 4 years.

It took almost a half an hour of me refusing to accept no, or pay eighty quid, and being passed from one level to another, before I got some person in a position to agree to send a new modem foc. And it was only because it was either "give it to me or I disconnect altogether". He was quite grudging about it, maybe he gets a kickback from the payment. :)

Bad form, not looking after existing customers, eircom. I wonder how many less pushy people paid up for the modem?

you know what makes that worse? I was offered a free replacement router without asking for it. I hate the honeytrap deals with a passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is there any establishment or product you refuse to waste your money on? Due to poor service, ethical reasons or bad experiences. We're always told that we should vote with our feet when it comes to value for money among other things but in the past the Irish had a reputation for excepting poor standards. I'm not one for complaining anywhere I just say to myself, lesson learned. They'll never get another penny out of me.

Aerlingus where once my first preference airline but ever since they moved out of the west of Ireland I won't use them unless completely necessary.

I avoid chicken even though I love it. Battery hens are disgusting. Only organic chicken will do.

I refuse to get Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I only get free range or organic eggs and chicken....that's about it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Most of these people dont give a rats arse if you never come back.....

If on the other hand it amounts to 100s of people thats a different matter.

I honestly believe staff dont give a f8ck anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

PC World, was about to spend a cuple of hundred € on a new video card, wanted to ask some questions, asked a girl on the floor and she sent me over to the techie guy at the desk, he proceeded to ignore me, there was no one around, fiddled around with a pc, rang one of his mates, 10 minutes I was standing there, I had finally had enough when he "noticed" me and proceeded to ask if he could help, I replied no and walked out of the shop, have not been since and never will again. BTW I have gone in there before this a few times and got crappy / ignorant service, this was the last straw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

I wont buy a drink in our college bar. theyre a pack of obnoxious gobsh1tes.

I wont get a taxi unless my limbs are falling off because in my experience(although some are honest and decent) , many of them can be theivin backstards

I will not support or entertain PC world in the slightest. they should all be in prison IMO

and for ethical reasons I will never ever ever get a hooker...I really cant see the point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement