Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

America and Creationism

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Mordeth wrote: »

The guy that set up that park is currently serving a ten year sentence for tax evasion and has been accused of assault and when they raided his house they found a big stockpile of guns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Dino

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dakan

pljudge321 wrote: »
    The guy that set up that park is currently serving a ten year sentence for tax evasion

There is a GOD and he is on the side of the atheists :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

pljudge321 wrote: »
    The guy that set up that park is currently serving a ten year sentence for tax evasion and has been accused of assault and when they raided his house they found a big stockpile of guns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Dino

That bloke is just hilarious. His theory on the Young Earth is brilliant. A giant snowball -184 C (obviously he rejects absolute zero as well) hits the earth, with the "super-cold snow" burying the mammoths standing up. Oh, and Satan creates UFOs.

His insight into Darwins life is quite enlightening though:

"He was born in 1809 and died about 1880. He was very anti-Christian and tried to influence anyone he could not to believe in God. He was very full of godless ideas. He was a very avid agnostic, racist, and an evolutionist. He believed in a great infinite age of the universe. He was very influential in furthering the ideas of evolution, particularly in the country of England."

He made millions of dollars on this tripe. America really is the land of oppertunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I go on a different forum sometimes, Civfanatics, but on the non-gaming part; its about 50/50 between Europeans and Americans, there are exceptions, but in general, the Americans on the site have a totally, totally different view of the world.

They CANNOT understand the worldview of most Europeans on a range of issues. they cannot udnerstand how we dont percieve the US as "protecting" us from the likes of Iran:rolleyes:... can't understand how we can rule out creationaism... keep trying to find ways to justify racism, all the while claiming they arent racist they just have a totally different outlook in general. I know this dosent go for all Americans by any stretch of the imagination, but I have to say, I think the country is headed in a really bad direction. True, Bush is going to be gone soon, but I suspect that wont actually make a huge difference, they are sort of on a pth thats its not that easy to get off

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

utick wrote: »
    heres a simple fact, nobody knows whre we came from, so weather your faith lies with religion or science is a personal choice, the answer to the question of where we came from will never be able to be proved, nobody knows, end of discussion

If you equate the teachings of religion or the belief of faith with the research of science, you've already lost the plot.

Its like the crazy idea that takes "everyone is entitled to their opinion" and turns it into "every opinion is equally valid from an objective standpoint".

• Advertisement

dakan wrote: »
    It's very sad to see how grown men and women can just abandon reason, logic
    and critical thinking so easily. :(

Creationists would say the same about people who accept evolution.

A giant snowball -184 C (obviously he rejects absolute zero as well)

Absolute zero, in my universe, is about -273 C.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I blame Footloose.

But they haven't posted on here since 2005!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Shouldn't this be in the Atheism & Agnosticism section?

How many people in america actually believe in creationism?

How many people in ireland believe in it? Doesn't Ian Paisley's religion teach it too?

I don't care that americans believe or don't believe in creationism. All these threads end up similar enough .. either christians are stupid ... or americans are stupid. I guess this one is Christian Americans are stupid.

bonkey wrote: »
    Absolute zero, in my universe, is about -273 C.

Crap, a creationist knows more about science than I do. I'm off now to crawl under a rock :(.

• Advertisement

Crawl some more...I'm no creationist.

So much for critical thinking, eh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have a new defense against Creationists!

"Well then didn't God Create SCIENCE?"
    I go on a different forum sometimes, Civfanatics, but on the non-gaming part; its about 50/50 between Europeans and Americans, there are exceptions, but in general, the Americans on the site have a totally, totally different view of the world.

They CANNOT understand the worldview of most Europeans on a range of issues. they cannot udnerstand how we dont percieve the US as "protecting" us from the likes of Iran... can't understand how we can rule out creationaism... keep trying to find ways to justify racism, all the while claiming they arent racist they just have a totally different outlook in general. I know this dosent go for all Americans by any stretch of the imagination, but I have to say, I think the country is headed in a really bad direction. True, Bush is going to be gone soon, but I suspect that wont actually make a huge difference, they are sort of on a pth thats its not that easy to get off

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

The reason it is a big deal in the US is pretty straight forward. Ameriaca is partially the result of people moving away from Europe to practice their religion free from persecution. As a result religious freedom is a big thing to the country from its inception.
    A large uneducated population entered the country. Many were home sick and pretty miserable. Religion thrives with uneducated miserable people as its basic premise is listen to me and follow me and you will get a better life if not now when you die. You will ultimately get justice
    As with any immigrant population many criminal elements come in at the same time (regardless of race or country of origin). Such people set up their own scams and ways of manipulating people. Hey presto you have scam artists and people who will follow religion.
    So now you have religion with little or no connection to the original orders they came from. Some are truly following a religious belief and others are in it for the money. The leaders become "dedicated" with the one tangible thing they have, the bible. The preachers are not educated people from religious orders so they follow the whole thing blindly with out any guidance. Populations increases and time passes on with the churches getting bigger.
    The political elite stick with the power which is the church so the church have financial control in areas. They set-up schools and colleges specifically with their way of teaching. It then just keeps going.
    There was no counter to the religious beliefs for such a long time they ran wild and grew. Now they try to ship this religious belief to us. The belief that you were born at a specific time where you happen to get the bible in the correct translated language in its correct form to me seems so incredibly arrogant and not a faith based leap.
    Mormons, Nation of Islam and The Church Of Scientology are prime examples of religious scams in my opinion.
    Evolution makes sense to me where as the bible as a accurate document does not. I really don't know enough about evolution to say it is accurate but I know enough about the bible to know it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

womoma wrote: »
    Yes, exactly.

an argument based on fact. i like your style.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

bonkey wrote: »
    Crawl some more...I'm no creationist.

I was talking about Dr Dino, the bloke who I was slagging off in my original post. So embarrassing.

Advertisement