Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the Steak

Options
  • 04-12-2007 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

I notice when people post their daily meal plans (whether bulking up or bulking down) there is no mention of big juicy steak anywhere in there.

There is nothing more wholesome or healthy than a big plate of pulsating t-bone after a tough workout. It is a full of protein and nutrition.

I will have a giant t-bone for dinner tonight. Does anybody else share in my love for the sacred steak?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I love steak. I prefer it mostly well done with just a hint of pink at the centre.
    Then some nice pepper or mushroom or redwine sauce, mmmmm

I do have it sometimes, not as much as I'd like to but then I'm not paying for the shopping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I only started eating steak about a year ago - sacriligeous, I know :o I still don't know all the different 'types' of steak, but it's great fun learning (eating) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Huge portions of red meat are not good for you. It would be better to have a small to medium sized portion of steak once a week or so, and get your protein from a combination of meat and plant-based sources.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

A big steak can take up to 8 hours to digest. Other than that I can''t see much wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

daveirl wrote: »

Sirloin is €10 per kilo in tesco ATM. Though many will not touch supermarket meat...

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I thought chicken had more protein than steak

then again, I think alot of things...:confused:

daveirl wrote: »

I am not decrying red meat. I love it and eat it myself on a weekly basis. A lean portion of steak should be about 4-6oz (100-150g). However the steak I ate in Eden last night would have been about 8-10oz (200-250g) which would be fairly average for a restaurant and that is far too large a portion. Eating large portions of red meat on a regular basis can contribute to heart disease, high cholesterol etc.

I am simply saying moderation is the key,that's all.

Also afaik chicken and beef have about the same protein levels, but chicken is much lower in saturated fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I am simply saying moderation is the key,that's all.

Absolutely agree. But...
    Eating large portions of red meat on a regular basis can contribute to heart disease, high cholesterol etc.
    It's the proportion of saturated fat in your diet that matters. If you eat much more sat. fat. than unsat. fat then yes, it's a bad thing to eat too much meat. But if you eat lean red meat alongside plenty of nut and seed oils, oily fish and oily fruits then you can happily eat red meat in abundance without too much fear.

• Advertisement

Then why are people with high cholesterol instructed to strictly avoid red meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Because doctors have a huge blind spot when it comes to cholesterol. Most of what's in your blood stream was made by your liver, not derived from your food.

Saturated fat is not bad for you. In every study carried out on humans where the type of fat eaten was compared with the outcome, the group eating the saturated fats had the best health and the longest life. The group eating the polyunsaturates had the lowest cholesterol levels, but were more likely to have a heart attack or die.

Oh yeah, I eat eggs and steak every day, and have done for years, and my cholesterol is perfect. The only odd thing is the very high ratio of HDL to LDL. My doctor scrathes his head and tells me to keep doing whatever I'm doing.

Where is the steak

In ma belly

*burps*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Then why are people high cholesterol instructed to strictly avoid red meat?

Cos a lot of them eat it with butter sauce or cream bases sauses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I notice when people post their daily meal plans (whether bulking up or bulking down) there is no mention of big juicy steak anywhere in there.

There is nothing more wholesome or healthy than a big plate of pulsating t-bone after a tough workout. It is a full of protein and nutrition.

I will have a giant t-bone for dinner tonight. Does anybody else share in my love for the sacred steak?

I loooooove my steak. I will only eat fillet tho so its only once a week because of the price of it. Sometimes I indulge myself and have it twice lol. Well done, with a sprinkle of basil, olive oil and chili. MMMMM!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Also afaik chicken and beef have about the same protein levels, but chicken is much lower in saturated fat.

Free range chicken cuts are more nutritious than beef but the chicken that most people consume today (non-organic ) is just as bad as beef for cholesterol.
    *a well-trimmed three-ounce sirloin steak has 185 calories and 75 milligrams of cholesterol; a three-ounce piece of boneless chicken breast has 140 calories and 72 milligrams of cholesterol.

* Department of Agriculture data

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1985/11/25/66658/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Cos a lot of them eat it with butter sauce or cream bases sauses.

That makes no sense.

If this was the case presumably they would be told to avoid the sauces, not the meats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

If you live anywhere near Dublin 15, go to Branagans Meats in Rosemount Business Park. It's a wholesale butchers, but they have a trade counter with the best value meat I have ever seen. It's all top quality too.

For about €10 you will get two massive fillet steaks, tastier than anything I've ever got in a supermarket or regular butchers. You can buy an entire fillet for about €60, which would do for about 15 big steaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Lothaar wrote: »
    If you live anywhere near Dublin 15, go to Branagans Meats in Rosemount Business Park. It's a wholesale butchers, but they have a trade counter with the best value meat I have ever seen. It's all top quality too.

For about €10 you will get two massive fillet steaks, tastier than anything I've ever got in a supermarket or regular butchers. You can buy an entire fillet for about €60, which would do for about 15 big steaks.

Thanks for that, I can get there alright, do they do any deals with chicken breasts or anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

*mops drool off keyboard*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Their chicken breasts are also the best value I've ever seen. It's €20 for 20 large breast - very large! You can get packs of five for a fiver, but the net weight is slightly less than one quarter of the pack of 20. Still great value. I get the packs of five because there's less packaging so I can freeze them. I roast five at a time and it does me for lunch for a few days.

All the meat is vacuum-packed too, so it keeps longer in the fridge.

It's not just steak and chicken... everything in there is excellent value. I can't recommend this place enough. It's one of those places that you feel obliged to tell everybody about.

Actually... you can read a bit about it here: http://www.youandyourmoney.ie/content.asp?contentid=768

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Eating large portions of red meat on a regular basis can contribute to heart disease, high cholesterol etc.

Eskimos might disagree with you on that one.

I've never tried Eskimo.

EileenG wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I eat eggs and steak every day, and have done for years, and my cholesterol is perfect. The only odd thing is the very high ratio of HDL to LDL. My doctor scrathes his head and tells me to keep doing whatever I'm doing.
    You're either really sensitive to insulin or don't eat much in the way of high Glycemic-load carbs. or both (barry sears, michael eades would be the lads to ask about this, I ain't going to try to explain it off the top of me head because I'll get it wrong.)

I've spent years eating the recommended high carb, low fat diet, and the end result was that I had all the classic signs of metabolic syndrome: inability to lose weight, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pregnant belly even when I wasn't pregnant. I was definitely headed for type 2 diabetes. Oh yes, and I had gallstones.

When I cut out the processed carbs (I still eat massive amounts of veggies), the weight dropped off and my health improved dramatically. My gallstones have disappeared (the hospital keeps ringing me up asking if I want that operation yet, but I haven't had an attack since I started keto) and everything is on the good side of normal.

Low carb is not necessarily the ideal diet for everyone, but I do feel that most people would benefit from reducing processed carbs, and that meat and eggs have been unfairly demonised.

I've spent years eating the recommended high carb, low fat diet, and the end result was that I had all the classic signs of metabolic syndrome: inability to lose weight, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pregnant belly even when I wasn't pregnant. I was definitely headed for type 2 diabetes. Oh yes, and I had gallstones.

When I cut out the processed carbs (I still eat massive amounts of veggies), the weight dropped off and my health improved dramatically. My gallstones have disappeared (the hospital keeps ringing me up asking if I want that operation yet, but I haven't had an attack since I started keto) and everything is on the good side of normal.

Low carb is not necessarily the ideal diet for everyone, but I do feel that most people would benefit from reducing processed carbs, and that meat and eggs have been unfairly demonised.

That makes sense then. I was pointed in the direction of this by a mate, you might like to give it a read. It seems to be one of the first to outline the principles on why this whole low-carb/adequate protein/adequate fat jazz works, with some light biochemistry thrown in.

If anyone gives me an Amazon voucher for Christmas, I'm going to buy "Good Calories, bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. I believe it is a really well researched book on all this stuff, and why the food pyramid was the biggest fad diet in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If anyone gives me an Amazon voucher for Christmas, I'm going to buy "Good Calories, bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. I believe it is a really well researched book on all this stuff, and why the food pyramid was the biggest fad diet in history.

Sounds interesting, especially as many people discrediting diets like atkins will point to the food pyramid as being set in stone and perfectly OK and "common sense", as though straying from it is like challenging the laws of thermodynamics or something

• Advertisement

They have just revised the food pyramid in America to include more protein and veg, but there is still more carbs than the experts originally recommended.

I've just read a piece by Damian Maher recommending a food pyramid with 4-8 servings of green veg a day, 2-3 servings of animal protein, 2-3 servings of healthy fats, a daily serving of raw nuts or seeds, 1-5 servings a week of whole grains or whole beans, 0-4 servings a day of raw fruit (less if diabetic etc), as little as possible refined grain, bread, cereal, popcorn, bagels, sweets, coffee and alcohol, and no soy ever.

Actually, the Atkins food pyramid makes a lot of sense too. It starts, as you would imagine, with lots of meat, veg and fats, and has smaller amounts of fruit, grains and very little bread or sugar. But it has another inverted pyramid linked to it, which shows the effect of exercise in your diet. In other words, if you do very little exercise, you eat the basic meat and veg diet. But if you work out hard, you add in extra carbs, not extra meat.

Advertisement