Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream immigration policy

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭HollyB

EF wrote: »
    Problem is with the courts really. A plane left Dublin airport last week with only a handful of illegal immigrants on it. Lots more were meant to go but they took judicial review proceedings and the courts prevented most of them from going

Stop providing State aid for appeals against deportations. If you want to appeal, it's up to you to finance it. It'll save a fortune in taxpayer's money, and even if there are solicitors who would be willing to take some cases pro-bono, they'll be leaving themselves liable to pay the State's costs if they lose.

With regard to the October Supreme Court ruling that the principle of family unity, which keeps family units together when they flee from persecution, cannot be used to deport entire families where a parent has had refugee status denied, I see the solution being pretty straight-forward.

When a claim for asylum is made, the individual making the the claim should be asked
    (a) If he or she is accompanied by any children to whom he or she is parent/guardian.
    (b) If so, if he or she claiming asylum on behalf of those children.

If they choose to claim asylum on behalf of their children, then the children's claims should be processed and evalutated as any other claim would. If they choose not to claim asylum on behalf of their children, then they are to sign a declaration stating that their children are not in need of asylum in their own right. Give them a set period of grace in which they may change their minds and choose to apply for asylum on behalf of their children - say ten working days - but after that, those children are not eligible to have an application for asylum made on their behalf, and if the parent's application is rejected, they too will be subject to deportation.

When the children reach the age of eighteen, they may apply as an adult asylum seeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

send all immigants home

except the good looking ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

WindSock wrote: »
    Deport all the lazy scumbags that never have any intention of coming off the dole over to some poor asian country where they will have to learn certain skills, like not being dependant on the state.

Agreed. I'd rather an immigrant who's willing to work and pay taxes than some lazy national who's never worked a day in his life.

Immigration is inevitable, but they need to limit the numbers that can come in. Illegals need to be dealt with swiftly and deported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

Microchip every one of them:D TBH I couldn't give a **** we've gone to other countries and set up camp. All I want to see is that our own are given preference over immigrants when it comes to social ssues. If an immigrant cannot set up here successfully and is a drain on our resources after 2years they get deported.

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    We have exhausted the cash cow in terms of them throwing money at us since we joined. Nice one lads, the dosh really helped our economy get on its feet after 800 years of being thrashed, but now that we have a good economy and the EU is a burden to us, would it be such a bad idea?

em all they'd have to do is throw up trade barriers and see how far that gets us!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Leon11 wrote: »
    Microchip every one of them:D TBH I couldn't give a **** we've gone to other countries and set up camp. All I want to see is that our own are given preference over immigrants when it comes to social ssues. If an immigrant cannot set up here successfully and is a drain on our resources after 2years they get deported.

What's the legal standing on that, does anyone know? I know that EU citizens have to be treated equally, but what about non-EU citizens.

If, for example, I am advertising a job, can I give priority to EU citizens ahead of non-EU citizens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Nermal wrote: »
    All quasi-Stormfronters deported to Zimbabwe, anyone else welcome.

all tree hugging lefty liberals out of the country before their tree hugging ways bury us all

HollyB wrote: »
    What's the legal standing on that, does anyone know? I know that EU citizens have to be treated equally, but what about non-EU citizens.

If, for example, I am advertising a job, can I give priority to EU citizens ahead of non-EU citizens?

Yes your perfectly entitled to. You'll notice for some asian restaurants that they state they will only consider non-eu applicants provided no suitable eu qualified candidates apply.

You can't however turn around and say for example "We will not except Chinese, Mexican, Nigerian applications"

Yes your perfectly entitled to. You'll notice for some asian restaurants that they state they will only consider non-eu applicants provided no suitable eu qualified candidates apply.

Does that extend beyond job applications? Can a school or university, for example, give priority to EU citizens?

That is currently being challenged by an Irish citizen who wants to study medicine. He does not meet the necessary criteria to qualify via the CAO however he wishes to pay the full cost of the course in order to obtain a place. He was told that those places were reserved for non-eu nationals. Basically he's going to court over discrimination.

• Advertisement

That is currently being challenged by an Irish citizen who wants to study medicine. He does not meet the necessary criteria to qualify via the CAO however he wishes to pay the full cost of the course in order to obtain a place. He was told that those places were reserved for non-eu nationals. Basically he's going to court over discrimination.

I'm talking about the other way around - although, if he wins, it could mean that positive discrimination in favour of non-EU nationals will not be possible.

If there was a situation where a school - for argument's sake, a private, fee-paying school outside of the State system - decided that they were going to give priority to EU citizens and that non-EU citizens would only be considered for places if there were vacancies after all the EU applicants had been accommodated, would that be legal?

Morlar wrote: »
    No social welfare until you have paid into the system for at least 6 months.

I'd make it much longer than that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Diceicle wrote: »
    If you could make up your "dream" immigration policy, what would it contain?
    Mandatory basic english?
    Testing for TB and AIDS for "high-risk" countries immigrants?
    I.d for all?
    Fingerprinting?
    Deportation if crime is commited?

Yes, I'm tired of catching TB from immigrants

/sarc

HollyB wrote: »
    I'm talking about the other way around - although, if he wins, it could mean that positive discrimination in favour of non-EU nationals will not be possible.

If there was a situation where a school - for argument's sake, a private, fee-paying school outside of the State system - decided that they were going to give priority to EU citizens and that non-EU citizens would only be considered for places if there were vacancies after all the EU applicants had been accommodated, would that be legal?

Sorry I misread the last post. I would imagine that a school would based here in Ireland would have the right to accept children from EU countries first should they wish. I've no idea of any legal implications it could cause though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Doubt it would be constitutional, in any case it smacks of dehumanising people
    Sigh. How can it be unconstitutional when arrivals to our shores are not Irish citizens, and not governed by the Irish constitution?

AIDs and TB testing should without a doubt be done at point of entry, for a variety of reasons, not least of which is the lack of responsibility we have for the health of other nations, especially considering the banjaxed state of our own health service.

Another very good reason is you don't want to introduce contagion to a vulnerable population. All the PC platitudes in the world won't help someone dying of the latest and greatest strain of whatever, fresh from the third world country of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

Sigh. How can it be unconstitutional when arrivals to our shores are not Irish citizens, and not governed by the Irish constitution?

AIDs and TB testing should without a doubt be done at point of entry, for a variety of reasons, not least of which is the lack of responsibility we have for the health of other nations, especially considering the banjaxed state of our own health service.

Another very good reason is you don't want to introduce contagion to a vulnerable population. All the PC platitudes in the world won't help someone dying of the latest and greatest strain of whatever, fresh from the third world country of your choice.

i don't think that TB/HIV/AIDs test is dehumanising either. the reason its taken (to get residency in new zealand) is to show that you wont be a burden on the public health system. some people blatantly move to a country to take advantage of their adopted country's health care and i understand why they do it, but in ireland where the health system is fecked, they need to tighten entry criteria.
    to gain residency in nz you have to have full blood/urine analysis, chest xray..a full medical pretty much. ireland is different, as it is part of the EU but i dont think there would be any harm in having even a basic medical as a requirement for immigration if you're coming from the EU. i really think that people wanting to move here to have their baby should be discouraged...maternity wards are packed enough as it is.

ellenmelon wrote: »
    i don't think that TB/HIV/AIDs test is dehumanising either. the reason its taken (to get residency in new zealand) is to show that you wont be a burden on the public health system. some people blatantly move to a country to take advantage of their adopted country's health care and i understand why they do it, but in ireland where the health system is fecked, they need to tighten entry criteria.

Is it the UK that are considering denying all non-emergency health care to failed asylum seekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

el tonto wrote: »
    Yes, I'm tired of catching TB from immigrants

/sarc

You have to catch it for a rise in TB to be seen as a problem? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

don't allow roma gypsies in
    don't allow nigerians in pretending to be from a war torn country like congo
    only bring in immigrants who want to work not draw welfare.
    No undercutting
    have a limit to how many we take in so we don't get swamped

Some expert was saying the other day on the radio that in 50 years time irish will be the 3rd biggest population in Ireland behind Africans in 2nd and Chinnese in 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mweelrea wrote: »
    Some expert was saying the other day on the radio that in 50 years time irish will be the 3rd biggest population in Ireland behind Africans in 2nd and Chinnese in 1st

Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

No undercutting

Not the Chinnese?

I hate those bastards.

Edit: **** it. I'll be dead in 50 years.

If they're EU citizens, then they are entitled to come to Ireland if they so choose - by the way, are there any restrictions on EU citizens travelling within the EU, ie. that you have to be able to support yourself, obey the law, etc?
    No undercutting

This probably wouldn't work for EU citizens, but a simple way of avoiding that with regard to non-EU citizens would be to severely limit their access to welfare payments - ie, they're not entitled to any welfare payments, social housing, etc, until they have spent a minimum of five years working and paying PRSI or something along those lines.

I think that's absolutely vital. We may not be able to restrict the numbers of EU citizens travelling to Ireland, but I don't think that work permits should ever be issued to non-EU citizens except in cases where there are no qualified EU citizens available.

Asylum seekers who fail to qualify for refugee status should be allowed legal aid for a maximum one appeal, after which they must pay their own legal costs - as well as the State's, if they lose. Failed asylum seekers should be deported - all of them, not just a tiny handful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Terry wrote: »
    Not the Chinnese?

I hate those bastards.

I'm afraid so Terry:D
    According to that expert fella chinnese would be the most commonly used launguage.
    Time to get studying!

severely limit their access to welfare payments - ie, they're not entitled to any welfare payments, social housing, etc, until they have spent a minimum of five years working and paying PRSI or something along those lines
    Thats a clever idea and one that would certinly work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I'm afraid so Terry:D
    According to that expert fella chinnese would be the most commonly used launguage.
    Time to get studying!

You can start with your spelling ;)

Seriously though they are very hard working.

Advertisement