Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fredzeppelin

Does anyone what instrutment they use with the guitar picking at the start of time to pretend? Is it just a synth with some effects? What's the effect? Or what instrutments they use in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Zangetsu wrote: »
    The Youth, Handshake and Weekend Wars are my favorite on the album, incredible band, definitely something new... Its funny, most of the people who think they are completely overrated haven't actually listened to the album!

'Most'? Bit of an exaggeration there I think. How do you know that they haven't listened to it?

I've played it 10 times at the very least and it's still crap apart from 'Time To Pretend' and maybe 'Kids'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Sorry I didn't account for those with no taste in music :pac:

Sorry I didn't account for those with no taste in music :pac:

It's ok, your posts will still be here when everyone's forgotten about them by this time next year.

Jaysus, too early in the mornin for a joke is it? Moooooooooooooodyyyyyyyy

Honestly I don't see them fading out over a year, the music is new and unique to say the least, if they can follow up on that album I'd say they have a very long career ahead of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's ok, your posts will still be here when everyone's forgotten about them by this time next year.

As much as i likeOracular Spectacular, there is an incredible amount of truth in this statement

Jaysus, too early in the mornin for a joke is it? Moooooooooooooodyyyyyyyy

Sorry I was actually messing as well :o I'll use the :pac: next time.
    Honestly I don't see them fading out over a year, the music is new and unique to say the least, if they can follow up on that album I'd say they have a very long career ahead of them.

Is it unique though? Synth has made a comeback long before them.

The second half of the album is extremely weak.

I wouldn't put it down to the synth tbh, I'd say more his style of writing is completely new and his approach to the psychedelic genre in general. He's put a modern spin on something that died out long ago imo, he's bringing it back to the mainstream which I know people will disown a band for doing but is really the only way to take music out of the hands of pop 'stars' that we've been polluted with for over 10 years.

Even if they don't do a follow up album I'd say they will at least be remembered for being part of the revival of decent music.

As for the second half of the album I wouldn't say weak but in comparison to the first half it is lacking a bit of umph. The Handshake is one of my favorite songs on the album, Future Reflections is something I'd happily go asleep to every night for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Xavi6 wrote: »
    'Most'? Bit of an exaggeration there I think. How do you know that they haven't listened to it?

I've played it 10 times at the very least and it's still crap apart from 'Time To Pretend' and maybe 'Kids'.
    :eek: Surely you like Pieces of What. It's a cracking tune. One of the best on the album. It's in my head right now. It won't leave. I'm happy with that! It can stay as long as it likes.

As far as i can see the only thing that has been brought into the mainstream thus far is Kids, and to a certain extent electric feel. I sincerely doubt they will be remembered as having played any part in a revival of decent music. Certainly if they dont follow up with another album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

As far as i can see the only thing that has been brought into the mainstream thus far is Kids, and to a certain extent electric feel. I sincerely doubt they will be remembered as having played any part in a revival of decent music. Certainly if they dont follow up with another album.
    Would have thought "Time to Pretend" had been their most popular tune to date?

Pighead wrote: »
    :eek: Surely you like Pieces of What. It's a cracking tune. One of the best on the album. It's in my head right now. It won't leave. I'm happy with that! It can stay as long as it likes.

It sounds like a bad Rolling Stones b-side. Average at best.

Pighead wrote: »
    Would have thought "Time to Pretend" had been their most popular tune to date?

Surely kids would take that slot. The reception it gets in clubs and stuff these days in fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

That wasn't too good I'm afraid, and I love Justice.

Advertisement