Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Septico

This thread gets to be my first post.. the album is that good.
    On "pieces of what" he sounds exactly like neil young. Which isnt a bad way to sound at all. Kids is also fantastic. They have riffs and fills flowing through most of their songs that you only hear after bleeding the album dry! Fantastic debut release

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

there are more hooks and riffs and themes going on in Time to Pretend than most bands fit on an entire album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

So is it worth downloading?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

So is it worth downloading?
    Yes.

Legally of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

ianmc38 wrote: »
    Just got a copy of this album today. First time I've been wowed by album in a long long time. Absolutely brilliant.

Highly recommended!
    QFT
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Tom Dunne is continually playing one of their songs on his show. It's the only one i've heard, but it is rather brilliant.
    Kids.

Electric Feel i smy favourite, but Kids brought them to my attention. ++1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

I was full sure (due to the person that introduced me to it) I was going to hate it... I didn't it's actually quite interesting... starts to peter out towards the end though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I will be honest I really wanted to like this following the reviews its been getting, but having listened to it now 2-3 times, I cant warm to it. I had two CD's in my car this morning, I put MGMT first, and after 4 tracks I took it out and put in Nick Caves new album "Dig Lazurus Dig" which I find to be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hagi1513

Good album but agree that it peters out towards the end

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

el_weirdo wrote: »
    And exactly which Flaming Lips covers would they be? Pray tell.

They kind of sound like Flaming Lips circa "Transmissions From The Satellite Heart" but a hell of a lot less intelligent, gonzo rock though the flange modulator on the now de-rigeur synth.

And yeah, you knew what I meant, not specific Flaming Lips songs.

And the vocals are a lot weaker than Wayne Coyne's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

Can agree wholeheartedly with the praise in this thread. I'd got the album a couple of weeks ago but didn't have the time to listen to it yesterday and what an album it was! I've already listened to it once more since then. 'Kids' is my favourite but they're all good more or less. Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I love this album!
    Time to Pretend and Kids are the highlights for me.I can see this being played a lot this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

it's a good album alright. in fairness there hasn't been too many decent releases this year

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

im luvin ''time to pretend'' and ''kids''

good videos too!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Has anyone seen them live? While I've only heard one of the singles (and thought it was ok) I was put off seeing them live last weekend in Edinburgh by reports from people who loved the album but said that live MGMT were one of the worst bands they'd seen in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Haven't seen them myself but got a poor review in the Culture section of the Times the weekend gone, basically their music is not really suited live at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Saw them at the academy the other day, they were pretty good, despite the fact they were first on, the place was half empty and most people had come for CSS.

Electric feel was awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

Ekels wrote: »
    a hell of a lot less intelligent, gonzo rock though the flange modulator on the now de-rigeur synth.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Acquired this album recently given all the positive reviews I'd read and I have to say I'm feeling let down by the hype.

Stuck it on and when I heard 'Time To Pretend' I thought "Oooooh this gonna be quality". Alas, despite the absolutely stunning opener, the album steadily goes downhill and peters out to pretty much nothing. Very, very disappointing.

Agree with whoever mentioned Scissor Sisters btw, 'Electric Feel' sounds like it was lifted straight off one of their albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

'Kids' is a great tune. I think they're kind of the American version of Klaxons. First album though, give 'em time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Really funky videos for their singles, good album too, sounds very like the Sleepy Jackson, band from Oz that tom dunne plays a lot too...

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

this album is amazing, electric feel, time to pretend and kids are excellent songs but there are more gems on the album if you just give it a chance, e.g. the youth and pieces of what

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

ya they're quality.. i'm addicted to 4th Dimensional Transition & Weekend wars at the moment.

i could not think of that song, i knew there was another one that i loved but the name escaped me. it's quality:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

ya i like the album as well. kids is a great song...hope
    to see them in november

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i love MGMT - their songs are great but live they are utter muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Have to say not a great fan of them, one or two good songs but well they didn't blow me away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Ive decided I dont like them. Kids and Time To Pretend aside they really do suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

Cany understand the hype surrounding these??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

The Youth, Handshake and Weekend Wars are my favorite on the album, incredible band, definitely something new... Its funny, most of the people who think they are completely overrated haven't actually listened to the album!

Advertisement