Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland: One of the top 5 places to live according to the UN

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭SlinkyToo

The best thing that ever happened to this country was the influx of Polish Women.

No longer do haggard beer soaked ciggie reeking control freaks think they are gods gift to irish men.

For every one of these, there is a hardworking, model looking, man pleasing, Svetlana just waiting for Mister Wrong to chat her up.

I applaud the AIB for printing its leaflets in Polish.

Oh and if other countries are superior to Ireland, off you go then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

As long as you don't need a Mortgage or Childcare and don't get sick,don't mind the ****ty roads, or care about the lack of decent public transport guess it's all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

mucker23 wrote: »
    that data is taken from 2005, now ireland has 3rd highest GDP, with norway and luxemburg above us, got this from the economist annual 2008, they use data thats 2 years old so not very accurate

High GDP sounds fantastic, but we're also up to our necks in personal debt.
    3rd highest GDP but highest personal debt.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sagacity

The point of those indexes is to highlight how much trouble some countries are in, mainly look at the bottom of the table.

Arguing over which rich country is slightly better than the other is missing the point. Any of the top 30 are really all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You don't like Ireland?
    Why are you still here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Terry wrote: »
    You don't like Ireland?
    Why are you still here?

A dog ate my passport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Terry wrote: »
    You don't like Ireland?
    Why are you still here?

Because all my stuff is here!!!

You can use your driving licence for id if your wife ate your passport.

SlinkyToo wrote: »

Took a second to sink in, then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

How dare you! My wife is Polish and therefore stunning. She only eats passports to maintain her figure. The dog who ate my passport is a female Irish friend of hers.

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote: »
    How dare you! My wife is Polish and therefore stunning. She only eats passports to maintain her figure. The dog who ate my passport is a female Irish friend of hers.

Racist

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

galwayrush wrote: »
    High GDP sounds fantastic, but we're also up to our necks in personal debt.
    3rd highest GDP but highest personal debt.:confused:

It's not really a surprise. We have a young population. They're going to have high debts with mortgages. We have interest rates set for Germany, not for Ireland, so credit is or was cheap, encouraging debt rather than savings. We have high GDP and high cost of living because we are in a common currency zone. Our currency doesn't get stronger when our economy is strong, so the only way for us to get richer relative to our Eurozone neighbours is for wages and prices to rise.

All the shenanigans the government has been going through with SSIA schemes and stamp duty\first time buyers grant etc were done for the simple reason that we couldn't increase or decrease our interest rates when required.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If you are like 90% of the Irish people I met when travelling, you have probably been no further than your bedsit and the local Hamburg Scruffy Murphys.

Just seen this now, I take it this was aimed me. I wouldn't know anything about the local Scruffy Murphys as you put it, but you seem to be the expert with your figures and travels.

Stay over there...

I've no plans on returning, so don't worry. I know where I'd rather be if I was to fall ill tomorrrow.

It would also help if we were all anal retentives.

I'll take anal retentiveness over cute hoorism any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

No longer do haggard beer soaked ciggie reeking control freaks think they are gods gift to irish men.

For every one of these, there is a hardworking, model looking, man pleasing, Svetlana just waiting for Mister Wrong to chat her up.
    Surely you mean Mr.Wong.

As for the UN report, I'm sure it was based on exhaustive research watching Derby O'Gill and the Little People and reading Round Ireland with a 'Fridge.

We are a first-world economy with a second-world infrastructure due mostly to the lack of accountability that our politicians enjoy.

We are not a 'low-tax' economy as the Fianna Fail smoke and mirror act would have us believe. We pay roughly 50% tax on gross income when you factor in all the various stealth taxes, that's just a little less than countries with proper education, health and policing services such as Germany, Belgium and France.

We're living on borrowed time as far as the Celtic Tiger goes. What little of the manufacturing base is heading east, the building sector (the second largest employer after the public sector) is gearing down big time and public spending is starting to spin out of control.

We didn't have the foresight to develop small indigenous businesses during the good times and instead threw free money at foreign manufacturing companies to come over and set up shop for a few years.

In short, we lack political capital and visionary leadership, but you could say that about a lot of countries.

Well said Dubwriter.

It has always been the same in this country, we always expect outside investment and never bother to do anything home grown.

Whats worse is, the outsourcing trend will shortly hit Ireland in a much bigger way than previously and it will be good bye Dub based execs, hello Jaun from Argentina.

Jester77, having travelled and lived in over 25 countries on 4 continents I think I can give a valid opinion.

Frankly its embarassing to arrive somewhere and have the foreigners advise me on the best pub, just because I am Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

We are clearly not a great place to live. On top of the other reasons such as poor healthcare, infrastructure (roads/rail/broadband), high cost of living etc..., our towns and cities are filthy.

Seems it wouldn't hurt the councils to hire people to clean them. I think the excuse that everyone should clean up after themselves is nonsense because I do but what about all those that don't and won't! Should we all have to suffer living in their filth? Most of them aren't learning their lesson either as I've never seen someone get fined for littering in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

DublinWriter's right.
    Still, though, once all the foreign investment dries up because the global companies can get the same thing made cheaper and faster the Far East, it'll make the "Oh noes, Ireland should be Irish - there's too many feckin' forridners here" clowns happy.

Before they emigrate to somewhere they can get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Ok I've seen a few people here who don't believe Ireland is one of the top places to live (obviously looking beyond GDP) can I ask then for all the people who DON'T think Ireland is a great place to live....

Why are you still here? What keeps (or brought you back here) you in Ireland? Family, Friends, significant other? Lack of a second language?

And are you planning to amscray in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Ok I've seen a few people here who don't believe Ireland is one of the top places to live (obviously looking beyond GDP) can I ask then for all the people who DON'T think Ireland is a great place to live....

Why are you still here? What keeps (or brought you back here) you in Ireland? Family, Friends, significant other? Lack of a second language?

Family, friends, I could become fluent in French if I had to but there are plenty of English speaking countries I could move to.

I'm gone as soon as the economy goes down the crapper which due to the present governments incompetency should be within the next 5 - 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

<southpark>If you don't like it, then git out!</southpark>

I think its extremely difficult for any single person to judge whether Ireland is a better place to live than somewhere else. Even if they have lived and worked abroad for years, everyone will always have a different perspective based on their own lifestyle and preferences.

Personally I don't think Ireland is a bad place to live. There is loads wrong with the place, the weather, the stagnancy/lack of vision of our political system, awful infrastructure + health system etc. But we mostly live fairly comfortable lifestyles, are free of war and hunger, have plentiful jobs, and are unlikely to be involved in any world conflicts any time soon. I plan on living and working abroad for an extended period soon however, its the only way of getting perspective on the whole thing and even then no-one is going to get a 100% objective view on things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I plan on living and working abroad for an extended period soon however, its the only way of getting perspective on the whole thing and even then no-one is going to get a 100% objective view on things.

+1

Fully agree...looking for work abroad myself at the moment with the same goal in mind.

No matter what country you are in, you only get out of it, what you put in.
    After 17 years away and 25 countries I can say hand on heart that Ireland has moved on from the Catholic Church Controlled, Xenophobic, Rural backwater it used to be.

Ireland is where the UK was 10 years ago in terms of infrastructure, broadband, TV etc... but in many ways it is closer to our american cousins. New US style housing estates with dedicated recreational facilities, new road links, shopping malls (even in athlone).

Ok we have a long way to go before the 6 1 news doesn't have shaky sets or RTE gets rid of the wornout old fogies presenting shows.

For those of you who are not happy and blame everyone from the government to the pollacks, I urge you to take a look at yourself and your contribution to the country. Governments come and go but people make a country. People far and wide.And the Polish have filled every job going because their ethic is to survive, not to prosper mind, but to survive.

Many of us have lost this will to survive because we now expect to prosper and are happy with nothing less.

By all means leave the country, decry the woeful state and experience the world... perhaps one day after many years you or your children will return to Ireland with a new found understanding and willingness to make this land better through hard work rather than expect your open hand to be crossed with silver.

New US style housing estates with dedicated recreational facilities, new road links, shopping malls (even in athlone).
    New US style housing estates with dedicated recreational facilities?!?

Maybe you can give us an example of such a place?

Unless I've been on bad acid trip for the last ten years, I do believe the problem *all* new greenfield developments in this country has been the builders' greed to make as much of the site footprint as residential as possible? (including the Government imposed level for social housing)

Adamstown - the population of Drogheda put into an area the size of an 18-hole golf course. Now tell me there won't be problems with that in 10 years' time.

As for shopping malls? Don't come crying to me when all your local shops get closed down because of big UK-multiple retailers beaming down. If you measure progress in terms of the numbers of shopping-malls then you really need to reassess your values.
    I urge you to take a look at yourself and your contribution to the country.
    Last time I looked, it was about 50% of my gross salary.
    perhaps one day after many years you or your children will return to Ireland with a new found understanding and willingness to make this land better through hard work rather than expect your open hand to be crossed with silver.
    Try telling that to the poor schmuck with a young family living in Meath/Drogheda right now facing negative equity and having to spend five hours a day commuting in and out of Dublin for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

Its all relative- Jack Johnson
    the world is what you make it baahby- Paul Brady

Dublinwriter has proved my case, with a classic example of the 'waaah waaah waaah' mentality.

Blame everyone and everything for their problems.

Life for me in Ireland is... a good wage, recreation, convienience to facilities (malls, transport) and family and friends.

I have all of these because I worked for them and sacrificed for them over the years.

If you dont have these things, don't complain take some action to get them.

If your job is crap, educated yourself and move up.

If you are in negative equity who have you got to blame? only your poor investment skills. No one forced these people to live miles from their work or to buy houses they can't afford. Indeed no one forced them to bred and then moan that they have a young family.

If local shops close because they can't compete with big chains, they have only themselves to blame and their inability to provide a unique service to compete. I won't be crying for them.

Its time people stopped whinging about their lives and started living their lives.

Dublinwriter has proved my case, with a classic example of the 'waaah waaah waaah' mentality.
    Blame everyone and everything for their problems.
    I don't blame everyone, just politicians and senior Civil Servants.
    Life for me in Ireland is... a good wage, recreation, convienience to facilities (malls, transport) and family and friends.
    Well that's all fine and dandy until the recession bites and you find yourself without a good wage, unable to meet your mortgage repayments and/or struggling to secure health services for you or your family.

I find that if you want to know what will be happening in Ireland in ten years' time all you have to do is look at what is currently happening in the States.

I can tell you that all this 'Land of Opportunity' talk is so much BS when the economic tide turns against you and you find yourself living in a country without must social infrastructure.

I have all of these because I worked for them and sacrificed for them over the years.
    If you dont have these things, don't complain take some action to get them.
    If your job is crap, educated yourself and move up.
    Without wanting to personalise the argument, I'm self employed, draw down a salary just shy of six figures, have a newish BMW, two houses and a Masters Degree.

Now, I'm alright Jack, but it's not me I'm worried about. I'm worried about where Ireland is going as a whole. There's too much me-feinism.
    If you are in negative equity who have you got to blame? only your poor investment skills. No one forced these people to live miles from their work or to buy houses they can't afford. Indeed no one forced them to bred and then moan that they have a young family.
    Yes, your right, no one forced those people to buy houses they couldn't afford. Perhaps it was the fact they fell in love and wanted to start a family, or just couldn't hack the shame of still living with their parents after 30.
    If local shops close because they can't compete with big chains, they have only themselves to blame and their inability to provide a unique service to compete. I won't be crying for them.
    You will be crying in ten years' time when you turn around to find that the grocery multiple in your super-dooper mall now has the monopoly in your area and that you have to drive to a pay-carpark anytime you might need to pop out for a loaf of bread or a litre of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

I find the most positive way to deal with how the countries going is the sustainability movement, rather than depending on the giant tortoise ,white elephant government
    resources:
    http://www.localplanet.ie/
    http://www.cultivate.ie/
    http://www.sustainable.ie/
    http://www.feasta.org/
    http://www.sustainability.ie/home.html

lol BMW owner and caring person - impossible. If this was to happen the space time continuum would collaspe.

• Advertisement

lol BMW owner and caring person - impossible. If this was to happen the space time continuum would collaspe.
    Gimme a break, it's Diesel!

What's all this negativity towards BMW drivers?

We all know that it's really Merc drivers that are the spawn of satan.

Advertisement