Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland: One of the top 5 places to live according to the UN

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Problem with that is it measures GDP, but not cost of living seemingly. Ah well, to Iceland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

No its not its sh!te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm well travelled & for the most part I'd agree.

But the problems in the health service geniunely scare me.

I don't think there's any honour in Irish politics, and its getting worse. I think that has begun to impact upon people's quality of living too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

togster wrote: »
    No its not its sh!te
    Course it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

although are health systen is crap we do have a good standard of living. Yeah the cost of living is high but so is the minimun wage

Ireland, craic an

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭SlinkyToo

I dont know where you travelled but no country I have ever been, has honourable politicians.

Having just come back from 17 years of travel, I can see Ireland's biggest problem is the people.

Heads and Arses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

it's an incredibly flawed index.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Everywhere u go has its ****s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

top 5!! you got to be kidding... its a sh!thole! well where i live is anyways,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I love ireland nearly as much as cake!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

No its not its sh!te

so youve lived in other countries to give such a well constructed answer.

i think it takes a few things into account but id agree that its one of the best places to live.
    nowhere is perfect and sure weve got our problems but overall i think its good.

All countries have their faults and I think when you travel dont see half the flaw of your temporary abode.

What I have found coming back after 17 years is this -

Good -

Meat tastes amazing, good quality
    The views
    The major property slump on the horizon
    The country finally has broadband and shopping malls
    The hot (Polish) women

Bad -

The BMW driving, overvalued house living, overborrowing, baby fashion talking, Pat Kenny Watching, Brass Neck Bertie Loving Social Climbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

prendy wrote: »

i think it takes a few things into account but id agree that its one of the best places to live.
    nowhere is perfect and sure weve got our problems but overall i think its good.

I have, Ireland ranks pretty low tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

I have, Ireland ranks pretty low tbh.

ok...in what ways and compared to where?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

SlinkyToo wrote: »
    Good -

Meat tastes amazing, good quality
    The views
    The major property slump on the horizon
    The country finally has broadband and shopping malls
    The hot (Polish) women

Bad -

The BMW driving, overvalued house living, overborrowing, baby fashion talking, Pat Kenny Watching, Brass Neck Bertie Loving Social Climbers.

That is brilliant!! Fair play to ya - super list there :D

I wouldn't like to swap my life in Ireland - love it here and have travelled far and wide only to be damn glad of what we have going here. Yes there are faults - but overall.. I think it's incomparable with any other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Compared to where I live, health service is better, decent broadband at a decent price, public transport is better and runs on time, roads are better, cost of living is cheaper, property is affordable, drink is cheap, people are not falling around the streets at 3am every weekend.... and those are just the ones from the top of my head!!

Eh yeah i live in Sweden now. Have lived in the states too, france germany, italy. I meant its **** in relation to things that bother me, traffic, health, prices, pace of live. Its just my opinion

Yes and I think if Dublin was bombed to the ground and rebuilt, the population would have a chance to deisgn it properly. It would also help if we were all anal retentives.

If you are like 90% of the Irish people I met when travelling, you have probably been no further than your bedsit and the local Hamburg Scruffy Murphys.

Stay over there... Ireland is finally coming of age and those who believe will ride the wave of relaxed living that our forefathers lived for, nay, died for, all those years ago... wake up boys theres a light at the window, there are men coming down from the hills.... oh wait thats Chris De Burgh.

Anyway my point is.... One Mans ****e is another Mans Manure

Can I have my money now, me Mammys calling me in for Dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I work with a lot of people not originally from Ireland - here is what they say when I ask them in order of what they see as important.

1) Very safe here. We may debate this but compared to India or Africa we have a utopia.
    2) Fresh air and not too crowded. Compared to india for example they have very bad air quality problems. Also much more crowded.
    3) Friendly people. Most people in Ireland have a if you do ok by me I will do ok by you attitude. Even though we are not the community based country we used to be there are still a lot of vibrant communities and friendly people.
    4) Politically stable - we dont have a great government but we have an ok one.
    5) Opportunity - Ireland for the last 10 years has been a place of opportunity. If you want to make money you can simple as that.

These are not my views but I think overall apart from the weather its a pretty damn good country.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ireland: 150,000 Poles can't be wrong...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

kmick wrote: »
    I work with a lot of people not originally from Ireland - here is what they say when I ask them in order of what they see as important.

1) Very safe here. We may debate this but compared to India or Africa we have a utopia.
    2) Fresh air and not too crowded. Compared to india for example they have very bad air quality problems. Also much more crowded.
    3) Friendly people. Most people in Ireland have a if you do ok by me I will do ok by you attitude. Even though we are not the community based country we used to be there are still a lot of vibrant communities and friendly people.
    4) Politically stable - we dont have a great government but we have an ok one.
    5) Opportunity - Ireland for the last 10 years has been a place of opportunity. If you want to make money you can simple as that.

These are not my views but I think overall apart from the weather its a pretty damn good country.

Well first off most countries in Afriaca are developing countries so to compare their standards of living with Irelands is naive tbh. This is the point, Ireland is OK, but its not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Ireland. nice in parts, not in others but I think we're one of the nicest groups of people in the world and many others do also.

Poor health
    Poor education
    Major social problems
    Public transport is terrible
    Roads are badly designed
    Overdevelopment without infrastructure.

Compared to Australia and England.

For a 'rich' country, I can see no evidence at all that any is being spent in the right places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Everytime this Ireland is sh1t/great argument comes up I always state the following:

Every metric is flawed, no one takes everything into account.

Everyone has different expectations or hopes, you cannot please everyone.

However I think it is fair to say we are in the top tier of countries in the world. This tier consists of maybe 20 - 30 countries. Consider there are ~200+ countries in the world and thats pretty good.

IMO the top tier consists of (in no particular order): USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, UK, Ireland, Scandinavia, most of Western Europe

Yeah England is a real nice place. Chav hoodies, schools closing, crime rife, I left there because it was so awesome.

Australia has major issues, racism, alcohol abuse, outback murders, Paul Hogan

Yeah England is a real nice place. Chav hoodies, schools closing, crime rife, I left there because it was so awesome.

Australia has major issues, racism, alcohol abuse, outback murders, Paul Hogan

Paul Hogan rates have dropped considerably in the past few years.

Either way, from my experience, both those countries are superior to here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I can see Ireland's biggest problem is the people.

Heads and Arses.

Stop talking nonsense people all over the world have heads and arses. Unless you are talking about people who have arses for heads. But it's not right to abuse people who suffer from Torsonic Polarity Syndrome.

http://www.southparkstuff.com/content/images/epiguid/season5/episode510.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭mucker23

that data is taken from 2005, now ireland has 3rd highest GDP, with norway and luxemburg above us, got this from the economist annual 2008, they use data thats 2 years old so not very accurate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Good -

The hot (Polish) women

Hear hear!

Advertisement