Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Table baby food!!!

Options
  • 25-11-2007 3:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

My younger sister has just had a baby boy (7lb8oz) and its really great everybody's very,very proud.

But my problem is the breast feeding at the dinner table.OK years ago i wouldn't mind having a look, but now am older and more mature i just don't want to see that when eating my chips.

Maybe am being a bit harsh but....can she not feed the baby in private?

It's not much too ask is it?

Opinions welcomed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

It's a bit reminiscent of 'The Royale Family' episode where Denise is breast feeding and Darren and Anthony have this purile discussion about it in the back kitchen - maybe take your chips upstairs or off each shoulder might be a workable solution - it is the noughties remember - in Saudi Arabia they would behead you sister for such behaviour at the dinner table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭davejones

KIVES wrote: »
    It's a bit reminiscent of 'The Royale Family' episode where Denise is breast feeding and Darren and Anthony have this purile discussion about it in the back kitchen - maybe take your chips upstairs or off each shoulder might be a workable solution - it is the noughties remember - in Saudi Arabia they would behead you sister for such behaviour at the dinner table

There would be no complaints from me if that happened.
    Only joking i really.really love my sister.
    but seriously why can't she feed the baby in the toilet or something?(the toilets fairly clean BTW).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

KIVES wrote: »
    in Saudi Arabia they would behead you sister for such behaviour at the dinner table

You really do have a thing for all things Middle Eastern, don't you? Troll or are you just bored?

zaph wrote: »
    You really do have a thing for all things Middle Eastern, don't you? Troll or are you just bored?
    I'm neither troll nor bored - just miffed at your glib little response to my 'things that tick you off' thread...didn't see you responding to 'davejones' breastfeeding dilemna...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well if I have to respond I'd say that a) it's probably inappropriate for his sister to be feeding the baby at the table when people are having their dinner. Neither of my sisters who have kids did that; but b) if she's going to insist on doing it he should just get used to it, it's not going to go on forever.

What I was more curious about was the fact that you felt it necessary to throw something in about Saudi Arabia that really has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

• Advertisement

In fairness, I've 2 sisters also, neither of whom breast fed, never mind while sitting at the kitchen table - I would come down on the 'inappropriate' side on this one I'm afraid - I think tact and common sense are lacking in this instance...

The Saudi Arabia comment was done in a light hearted 'things could be worse/look on the bright side' way...no offence intended

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

They're just tits for f*cks sake... they're not jump out and smother you!

zaph wrote: »
    Well if I have to respond I'd say that a) it's probably inappropriate for his sister to be feeding the baby at the table when people are having their dinner. Neither of my sisters who have kids did that; but b) if she's going to insist on doing it he should just get used to it, it's not going to go on forever.

What I was more curious about was the fact that you felt it necessary to throw something in about Saudi Arabia that really has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

No way am i gonna that used to that!!
    why should i?
    It's her baby she should look after it and keep it out off my face.
    That may sound a bit harsh but thats how i feel, my mothers not very impressed either-but what can we do?
    Throw the two off them out on the streets?(i have no problem with that)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how in the hell does that offend anybody?

jesus christ

They're just tits for f*cks sake... they're not jump out and smother you!

But you just never know!
    Can you guarantee my safety?

I thought not!

• Advertisement

Mordeth wrote: »

jesus christ

It offends Jesus
    he wasn't breastfed, to my knowledge(maybe he was my mamiers are a little bit hazy).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

jesus christ

I remember a few posts along the same lines in Cool Pic's after you kicked up about a photo of a baby... Different things offend different people and their sensibilities.
    davejones wrote:
    It offends Jesus
    he wasn't breastfed, to my knowledge(maybe he was my mamiers are a little bit hazy).
    Go check that with Christianity; I'm not sure - maybe you're mixing up Hitler and Jesus like I do sometimes...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

a photo of a slimy, red thing is very different from a child breastfeeding.

babies are disgusting when they are born, and when they are ****ing.. neither should be done at the dinner table. Sucking on a nipple for some milk is about the least disgusting thing they do at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

davejones wrote: »
    years ago i wouldn't mind having a look

At your own sister??? Wtf???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I breastfed all my babies, and I was so discreet onlookers wouldn't realise what I was doing. They were hungry babies so it was a case of listening to them scream the place down or feeding them. I think my brothers were a little awkward when my first baby was a newborn, but got used to it. They had no other choice! Anyway, the only way they'd know I was feeding was because baby's head would be hidden onder my jumper.

Opinions welcomed
    Please don't ask her to do that- it means she would be hidden away 75% of the time as newborns feed about 20 times a day! You'll get used to it, I assure you.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

FFS , Get over it !

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

OK years ago i wouldn't mind having a look
    Ew?
    now am older and more mature
    Older, definately. Not too sure on the maturity thing. She's not flashing her breasts in a sexual manner, or trying to make you uncomfortable. She's feeding her baby, get over it.

Back to the main questions/points of the matter..
    • Is she hawt?
    • Pics or it didn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

It makes me feel sick actually to see babies being breastfed. I'm sure I'll get a lot of flaming for that statement but I can't help how my stomach turns over at the sight. Perhaps it's because I hate milk!

Btw I fed my babies myself too but did it discreetly, knowing how I myself always felt at the sight of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

But my problem is the breast feeding at the dinner table.OK years ago i wouldn't mind having a look, but now am older and more mature i just don't want to see that when eating my chips.

Opinions welcomed

Yes - you are being harsh. Grow up. Get used to it. It's the most natural thing in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ask her if there's any going spare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    At your own sister??? Wtf???

Thats the part that jumped out at me too....you would have taken a look at your own sisters breasts..thats disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

but seriously why can't she feed the baby in the toilet or something?(the toilets fairly clean BTW).

if you're so offended, why dont YOU go and eat in the toilet?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Look breastfeeding it the most natural thing in the world

Breast feeding mothers need to eat, at this more then ever in their lives, why should they have to eat alone? or eat their dinner when it is cold ? you should learn to be more supportive and respectful to your sister.

its not like she has her tits out in front of you, i am sure she has a blanket or the suck like over the baby and her shoulder.

you have two choices here: -

1. Grow up or;

2. Eat your chips in the toilet, btw they are very clean

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

jesus christ

Agree, but perhaps eating chips whilst the mother is breastfeeding is well eh not on?

I mean the potential risk of mixed signals with all that Salt n Vinegar?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭echter

jesus what was she thinking!!!! feeding her child!!!!! what an idiot!!!! does she not realize that davejones wants to eat his chips in peace!!!!! i mean she wouldn't want to give the perverted sh1t a stiffy now would she.

for gods sake grow up and keep your eyes on your plate!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

irishbird wrote: »
    Look breastfeeding it the most natural thing in the world

So is having a dump, but there is a special room for that ! :D

I would be more concerned with why OP would perve on his sister when he was less mature ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

Babies aren't second class citizens. They have every right to eat at the dinner table. The OP is a c*nt.

And I too, am intrigued by his revelation that perving on his sister was something he highly enjoyed as a youngster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

ryanairzer wrote: »
    Babies aren't second class citizens. They have every right to eat at the dinner table. The OP is a c*nt.

And I too, am intrigued by his revelation that perving on his sister was something he highly enjoyed as a youngster.

Banned again. You're just not worth the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I think breast feeding is a great thing and should be be done by more, but if it were me doing it I would understand that there are people not used to it and it makes them a bit uncomfortable, which is not their fault, it's just a matter of it becoming a social norm.
    I would certainly be discreet and/or leave a dinner table, because I don't think it's fair on other people to have to hear and see a baby suckling on a breast. I think it is a Mother/Child moment and maybe should be left to it.
    I don't know, I think a lot of the time its an attitude of 'Just because we can, means we should.'
    It's like trying to prove a point but at the same time table manners and consideration are what separates us from animals.

Breast feeding in public places, I have no problem with. Just not at dinner, please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Femmy wrote: »
    Thats the part that jumped out at me too....you would have taken a look at your own sisters breasts..thats disgusting.

if you cant stick it in ur sister who can you stick it in?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

as for breast feeding, it doesnt bother me the slightest.
    except when i saw a 3 year old being breast fed.

sitting on a park bench, some kid was running around. he went to his mam and said, "mammy i want nummies" i half expected her to pull a mcdonalds bag out.
    NO! she whipped her tits out and sat him on her lap.

didnt take 2 seconds for us to move away.

Advertisement