Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wouldn't drive down Leeson St

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

rcs wrote: »
    Cynical I know, but does the fact that she's a literary critic not tell you that most of the story is probably made up.....

This was probably the largest amount of unadulterated ****e I've seen since Roisin Ingle's last article. The fact that she has a car is probably about the only thing coming close to the truth in that 'Triumphant-country woman overcoming adversity in the form of 'D4's " claptrap. (Paul Howard, you've created a monster :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

sounds like fiction to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

There are a few things in the account which don't ring true, leading me to believe that it's wildly exaggerated if not total bull****.
    Firstly, she says that the all-night carpark closed at 1am. No explanation is offered for this but what is more curious is the fact that it re-opened at 4am. Seems a bit odd.

"We had to wait"

I thought you were alone in the car.

"I ran out and snapped open the tail gate"

So the ****faced guy managed to close the boot of your estate from the inside?

"The intruder lurched away from the back of the car. I kicked him, maybe three times. I punched him in the face and felt my fist against his teeth. There was blood on my hand, I'm quite sure he didn't bite me."

So after you kicked him and he was backing away you punched him in the front of his face?

"I drove back to Leeson Street, intending to offer my two cents worth to the guards. But the street was empty."

In the time it takes getting from Leeson St to Donnybrook and back at 4am (maybe 10 minutes tops) the street went from riotous to empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I think most taxi drivers would argue that there is a semblance of truth in the writing, certainly the behaviour of people on the streets after clubbing is very well described. In fact so well described that the author has at least ( in my view ) been on Leeson St. after the clubs close, as a driver or a clubber you're guess is as good as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Maybe you should email her and put those points to her.

Having thought about this, i'm not so sure it's fact either. Would you admit to assaulting someone in a national newspaper? The guy she beat up could think "Chi-ching! Know I know who that was, i'm sueing!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

latenia wrote: »
    "We had to wait"

Her and the other customers of the carpark.
    "The intruder lurched away from the back of the car. I kicked him, maybe three times. I punched him in the face and felt my fist against his teeth. There was blood on my hand, I'm quite sure he didn't bite me."

So after you kicked him and he was backing away you punched him in the front of his face?

He backed away from her by walking backwards. I know you might find it hard to believe but some of us can do that.
    "I drove back to Leeson Street, intending to offer my two cents worth to the guards. But the street was empty."

In the time it takes getting from Leeson St to Donnybrook and back at 4am (maybe 10 minutes tops) the street went from riotous to empty?

Yeah, it always takes me 10 minutes to walk off Leeson Street.

I just re-read the item, can't see anywhere refering to being alone in the car.
    Originally Posted by latenia
    "We had to wait"

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Her and the other customers of the carpark.

He backed away from her by walking backwards. I know you might find it hard to believe but some of us can do that.

Yeah, it always takes me 10 minutes to walk off Leeson Street.

On the first point: she says OUR station wagon in the previous sentence. Not MY station wagon. Combine this with the WE in the next sentence and it suggests that she is not alone.

On the second point: I doubt that a middle aged woman has the reach in her arms or the fighting technique to step into someone with a punch after delivering several kicks.

Your last point is pedantic-no street with a lot of nightclubs on it clears within a few minutes. If she was that eager to find a Garda, Harcourt Terrace is yards away.

Later on she says "the car in front of us." So in fact she's being disingenuous here. She isn't lying directly by claiming she was alone but by omitting any details about the other occupant apart from some stray articles and adjectives she is trying to give the impression that she was.
    How many people after reading that would have presumed she was on her own without looking at it properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

True or not, the moral of the is lock your doors.

Oh and don't go drinking on Leeson street, it's awash with dirty great knobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'm on Leeson St most weekend nights. There are elements of truth to her story but most of it sounds made up. I have never seen anything quite that bad on Leeson St. No one in their right mind would react the way she did. If drivers feel they are under threat or their vehcile they leave the area. Quickly. It's not a great situation and I always clear off if there is trouble but it's not as bad as she describes.

Judging by the description of the clothing I would say the night in question was saturday just gone? That was a particularly busy and messy night. Unprecedented levels of messiness going on.

I would think she is describing a fantasy that played out in her head about what she should have done. In reality I would think she got out of dodge. Rightly so.

@latenia

Perhaps she was with a friend who didn't want to be identified?

Whether you believe a middle aged woman has or hasn't the reach or technique (by the way, how being middle aged would reflect her reach is beyond me) to do this is kinda beside the point. It's not impossible. Not even all that improbable unless you're imagining her delivering the punch perfectly. Indeed, on re-reading that part he isn't actually backing away from her; he lurches once and then she delivers the kicks and punch with no indication to us that he's moving one way or another.

And as for being pedantic, well, you're the one picking tiny holes in few hundred word blurb.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have to say I believe the article.

I can sympathise with aggressive instinct kicking in after being broken into as well, cos I've experienced it.

ballooba wrote: »
    I'm on Leeson St most weekend nights. There are elements of truth to her story but most of it sounds made up. I have never seen anything quite that bad on Leeson St. No one in their right mind would react the way she did. If drivers feel they are under threat or their vehcile they leave the area. Quickly. It's not a great situation and I always clear off if there is trouble but it's not as bad as she describes.

Judging by the description of the clothing I would say the night in question was saturday just gone? That was a particularly busy and messy night. Unprecedented levels of messiness going on.

I would think she is describing a fantasy that played out in her head about what she should have done. In reality I would think she got out of dodge. Rightly so.

You mean like the driver of the horse n carriage tried to in your previous post

Thread Hit & Run On Leeson St Last Night Circa 4am
    Did anyone witness this last night? There was a lot of drunk people around, of which I was one. You may not have noticed it even if you were there. One of the Horse and Cart drivers intentionally drove through a small crowd of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

If she was a ''fat ****'' how did she manage to lift her leg up to his stomach?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    You mean like the driver of the horse n carriage tried to in your previous post
    The two gents driving that horse and carriage were not under threat. The street was partially blocked but they were not under threat. They seemed well able to handle themselves anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭JayoCluxton

Eileen Batters Boy's story actually first appeared in the Irishwoman's Diary in the IT on 12 November last for those wishing to put a time on place on events. As they say in IT letters pagespeak - Madam, I await hopefully the written response of Mr Frank Nally to same, Is Mise ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Spook_ie wrote: »
    But this "mad bitch" did, and fair play to her for dealing with the D4's in a way which I wish we were allowed to........

Sorry whats that supposed to mean so your saying you should be able to assault people from D4 who act a bit rowdy :confused:

You didn't even say dealing with scum the way i wish we were allowed to you said D4s

let me quess your not very successful are you hence your resentment for all people that are wealthy.

lifted the tail gate and proceeded to climb into the back of my station wagon. I'd had enough and wasn't scared, just furious.

I am sorry but I have yet to find a car where you can just open the boot without some form of button being pressed.
    one half was telling me to stay in the car and lock the door - the guy was already in the boot space
    So she was thinking about locking herself into the car with the intruder :confused:
    My house had been burgled and ransacked recently and I hadn't forgotten that either. One of my dogs had been viciously beaten during the robbery; she has been left weakened, vulnerable, defeated by some swine who thought he was great, beating a brave young house pet with a cast-iron frying pan.

My tack had been stolen; saddles, bridles as well as computers, files and instruments, music, archive material, my daughter's violin. A disgusting mess of torn papers, letters, books, prints, maps had been left.

All of this surged through my mind and then, crazily, I also remembered I had a new bridle and a new horse rug - replacement tack - in the boot. I wasn't going to lose another horse rug. The rug became monumental.

Seems to me this is a fictional article and a pathetic attempt by her to make would be intruders think twice about robbing her next time [even though its unlikely it would have any effect]
    "Get out of my car," I repeated, pulling him by his hair. He stopped sneering and screamed in pain. I kept pulling and pulled so hard, a clump of sweaty hair came away in my hand.

Unless he had long hair which I doubt this would be ridiculously hard to do

He shrieked as I grabbed his shoulder and half hauled him out.

Yes because being grabbed by the shoulder is painful
    he intruder lurched away from the back of the car. I kicked him, maybe three times. I punched him in the face and felt my fist against his teeth. There was blood on my hand, I'm quite sure he didn't bite me. I slammed down the tail gate.

Firstly if this did happen, which I doubt, as he was leaving, for her to kick him 3 times then punch him would be assault as she was in no immediate danger.

But I doubt this is true I cannot imagine a middle aged women being able to draw blood from a punch and c'mon shes unsure if he bit her or not you would know right away
    Then, as I turned around his jeering buddies, all middle-class boys with south Dublin accents,

Trying to get a little bitter swipe at the more affluent, but of course many other bitter people will lap this sentence up 'Those poshies deserved it'' etc.
    who had been chanting "fat ugly c**t", roared "mad ugly bitch, mad ugly bitch" back - but they had stopped laughing.

Eh love if this is true however unlikely, they are still ripping it out of you.
    Now they were indignant. Outraged. It was obvious what they thought. How dare I react with such bad temper? Had I not realised I was supposed to be crying and pleading for mercy?

Building her ego, wait till her friends read this, she is a true hero
    I swung round and went to pull open the driver's door. A young fellow - young enough, as they all were, to be my son - kicked it closed. I turned and kicked him. Luckily for him, I kicked higher than I had intended and merely winded him. I could feel my foot landing in the soft pad of his stomach.

Yes I am sure a middle aged women could raise their leg and kick someone in the stomach and be a strong enough kick to wind someone

He fell over,

Oh come on, she must be a karate black belt.
    I drove back to Leeson Street, intending to offer my two cents worth to the guards. But the street was empty.

Its about 2 mins in a car to lesson street how would everyone just vanish
    It's an ugly little story and I'm not proud of acting like a thug. I feel diminished for having been caught up in the sort of moronic, threatening "fun" that is making driving through Irish streets almost as dangerous as walking them.

Trying to get some sympathy even though she knows everyone will be like 'No you did the right thing' this lady is a hero clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

SpAcEd OuT wrote: »
    let me quess your not very successful are you hence your resentment for all people that are wealthy.

Since when was everyone who lived in D4 wealthy? And if this is true, how do i get in? :D

Actually for all the posts saying a middle aged woman cant kick or have any strength.... this journo keeps and rides horses. You get pretty strong, fit and flexible when you are looking after and riding horses every day, no matter what age you are... (no its not just sitting there)

You'd swear women were fit for the nursing home once they hit forty with this board sometimes!

• Advertisement

everyone is D4 is wealthy even those living in the council houses are wealthy they just don't show it, d4 **** bleedin poshie pricks

fits wrote: »
    Actually for all the posts saying a middle aged woman cant kick or have any strength.... this journo keeps and rides horses. You get pretty strong, fit and flexible when you are looking after and riding horses every day, no matter what age you are... (no its not just sitting there)

You'd swear women were fit for the nursing home once they hit forty with this board sometimes!

c'mon shes talking about kicking a young man so hard in the stomach that he actually falls over, I know a lot of lads my age who are in superb shape workout everything and who cant do that [And yes I know this for a fact, drunken karate games :p]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

everyone is D4 is wealthy even those living in the council houses are wealthy they just don't show it, d4 **** bleedin poshie pricks

Dammit! *wants in bad*

I've got the prick thing down, i just gotta work on the posh and money factors!

"My tack had been stolen; saddles, bridles as well as computers, files and instruments, music, archive material, my daughter's violin. A disgusting mess of torn papers, letters, books, prints, maps had been left."

Pretty high brow burglars there. I'm sure there's a roaring trade in knocked off 'archive material' down the local

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭JayoCluxton

"A disgusting mess of torn papers, letters, books, prints, maps had been left."

I hope she handed over the prints that had been left to the forensic people. Also the fact that they never took the maps may indicate they were local and knew their way around the area.

"

Pretty high brow burglars there. I'm sure there's a roaring trade in knocked off 'archive material' down the local

Saddles generally cost around a thousand euro to buy new. I paid 500 last year for a good second hand one.
    Losing a computer can also be pretty upsetting, I'm sure many users will empathise with that.

I really dont get what your point is anyway.... Coming home to find your house ransacked and dog beaten up is pretty rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

The author is a brain dead fantasist. I'm actually embarrassed for her. What a silly little yarn.

Another wonderful anecdote of how we're all a nation of evil, drunken, racist thugs (well, everyone except the storyteller/protagonist of course!) This is the kind of sh1t that should feel right at home on Boards.ie.

God, I hate some of the self-righteous dicks in this country. But imagine actually making something like that up!

Seems to me this is a fictional article and a pathetic attempt by her to make would be intruders think twice about robbing her next time [even though its unlikely it would have any effect]

Yeah, because she printed her name and address along with the article. They'll never go near her place now.
    Unless he had long hair which I doubt this would be ridiculously hard to do

No it wouldn't. Grab a clump of hair and yank hard enough and it'll come off.
    Yes because being grabbed by the shoulder is painful

He may have shrieked in surprise or he might have been taking the piss with the shriek.
    But I doubt this is true I cannot imagine a middle aged women being able to draw blood from a punch and c'mon shes unsure if he bit her or not you would know right away

She doesn't say how much blood. Quite easy to draw blood from the gums or if his face was already cut (e.g. from shaving).
    Oh come on, she must be a karate black belt.
    c'mon shes talking about kicking a young man so hard in the stomach that he actually falls over, I know a lot of lads my age who are in superb shape workout everything and who cant do that [And yes I know this for a fact, drunken karate games :p]

A young man with a belly full of drink. Again, not as difficult as all that.
    Its about 2 mins in a car to lesson street how would everyone just vanish

I think the 10 minutes suggested earlier in the thread is more reasonable. Also, if the street was a messy as she described perhaps the Gards came along in the meantime and moved everyone on. We'll never know.
    Laslo wrote: »
    The author is a brain dead fantasist. I'm actually embarrassed for her. What a silly little yarn.

Another wonderful anecdote of how we're all a nation of evil, drunken, racist thugs (well, everyone except the storyteller/protagonist of course!) This is the kind of sh1t that should feel right at home on Boards.ie.

God, I hate some of the self-righteous dicks in this country. But imagine actually making something like that up!

I've seen the article posted on thumped.com and anfearrua.com (from the OP in this thread) and boards is the only place where it's been greeted with scepticism. Everywhere else it's been welcomed with the harty round of applause it deserves.

Honestly, I have no idea why people think she would make this up or that it's unbelievable. Have ye never been in town before? Never met some drunken lads looking for trouble? I have no idea how racism comes into it either.

A definite pinch of salt is required with regard to her tackling the unruly mob. I've no doubt that a motorist could get hassled like that on Leeson St though. So, I'd say there's an element of truth to her story. The slighest sliver of truth.

As for D4 being full of wealthy people. It's not. People don't refer to those from Ringsend as D4 heads the same as they refer to those from Foxrock as D4 heads even though they are Co. Dublin. D4 in this sense does not have geographical boundaries.

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote: »
    A definite pinch of salt is required with regard to her tackling the unruly mob.

I don't know about that. They were three guys dicking around that got more than they bargained for. They were never any serious threat to her though I doubt it felt that way at the time. She only really needed to say "boo" to scare them off. Still, for acting the maggot the way they did the c*nts got what they deserved.

Advertisement