Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanksgiving

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

No these are actual Thanksgiving parties, I assume they are hosted by ex-pat Americans, but last year a few of the pubs/ Restaurants got into it, showing the American Football Game, Flags and stuff.

Anyone know which pubs or restaurants in Dublin are showing the games and might do a half-decent Thanksgiving dinner? My wife's an American and she'll probably be all nostalgic tomorrow and missing her family, so a dinner out might cheer her up. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

another american that knows I'm Irish wishes me a 'happy turkey day'.

They are not joking either. Ensues usual conversation.

Me: you know we don't celebrate that right
    Them: no :confused:

etc.

I'd guesstimated this happens with 8.5*/10 Americans I've ever spoken with.

*shudder.

*conservative estimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Slow coach wrote: »
    How come it's the day after tomorrow then, cazzy? :rolleyes:

Cause they all mke a mistake in American
    I blame Bush

(or maybe you re just right)

In the United States, Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day is an annual one-day holiday to give thanks to God[1][2][3] for the things one has at the end of the harvest season. It is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November (i.e. the Thursday falling between November 22 and November 28. The period from Thanksgiving Day to New Year's Day is often collectively referred to as the "holiday season," and the holiday itself is often nicknamed Turkey Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

cazzy wrote: »
    Cause they all mke a mistake in American
    I blame Bush

(snip)

The period from Thanksgiving Day to New Year's Day is often collectively referred to as the "holiday season," and the holiday itself is often nicknamed Turkey Day.

Jeez fancy that, the Mericans named a day after GWB....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

jebuz wrote: »
    I got sent over to our Chicago office from Dublin until Christmas, and the feckers are making me work thursday and friday while the rest of the country is enjoying Thanksgiving. i'll be the only one in here "in case the phone rings" and because "I'm still on Irish public holidays when over here" bol!x

That sucks, you got to be more assertive with them. When I spend a few months abroad with a client I take their public holidays as well as my own :) I know some places will only give you a choice of taking one or the other. Best to do there is take the local holidays and then use the allocated free flights home any time there is a public holiday at home so you end up getting them as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Jeez fancy that, the Mericans named a day after GWB....
    No I'm afraid you're confusing it with Monkey Day. Typically the last Tuesday in January.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I'd guesstimated this happens with 8.5*/10 Americans I've ever spoken with.
    *conservative estimate.

I met a wonderful young couple in an Irish bar by Madison Sq Gardens in New York this summer with whom we had a great conversation ,but still asked us if we had St Patricks Day in Ireland too.

Advertisement