Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanksgiving

Options
  • 21-11-2007 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

A few Questions;
    Is it the last Thursday of the month or the third Thursday?
    Every American I speak to here (Dublin) says the last. but a Hawain I asked last week said the third,
    A Canadian said October but he was a nutter.

will any of you celebrate it ....How? I notice over the past few years the night is getting busier (Last Thursday) in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

22nd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

It's the 4th Thursday I think. So it's usually the last, unless, like this year there are 5 Thursdays in the month.

And Canadian Thanksgiving is in October, so he wasnt a nutter. He was just talking about Canada, not America.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

A few Questions;

will any of you celebrate it ....How? I notice over the past few years the night is getting busier (Last Thursday) in Dublin.

No, I am not American. Surely Christmas has more to do with town getting busier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭roy123456789

No, I am not American. Surely Christmas has more to do with town getting busier

No these are actual Thanksgiving parties, I assume they are hosted by ex-pat Americans, but last year a few of the pubs/ Restaurants got into it, showing the American Football Game, Flags and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's always the 4th Thursday in November in the USA, and the 2nd Monday of October in Canada. So now you know!

Handy website for this type of info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,249 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A few Questions;
    Every American I speak to here (Dublin) says the last. but a Hawain I asked last week said the third,

the same hawaiians that thought nobody would ever commit to a surprise attack on a Sunday?

Pfft.

Its the 4th thursday.

thanksgiving is important: its the holiday where the whole family gets together and kills eachother - "I had sex with your dog!" "I stole your credit cards!" "Mom, Dad; Im a lesbian." "Oh god can we hurry this up so i can go smoke some pot?"

Everyone gets it all out so we can have a pretentious, happy Christmas. The system works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

In USA its the last Thursday in November

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Slow coach wrote: »
    Handy website for this type of info.

Good tip, bookmarked.

cazzy wrote: »

How come it's the day after tomorrow then, cazzy? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

I'll be celebrating with a day off work! Work for a US company so we get their holidays. Also taking Friday off as I can't be arsed going back in for one day. Only problem is they don't have December 26th as a holiday so it's back to work that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

A few Questions;

Why the fúck would I want to celebrate something that marks the beginning of the decimation of the native people of another continent?

will any of you celebrate it ....How?

Yep. Turkey dinner and watch the match on the tellyvisionny thing in the corner. Might get in some bevvies, too. No pumpkin pie, though.

Terry wrote: »
    Why the fúck would I want to celebrate something that marks the beginning of the decimation of the native people of another continent?

That started in 1492. And it was much more than mere decimation (which mean to kill every tenth person/soldier/man).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I get off work this Thursday for it and thank god, I'm about to go mad at work. :/ *rattatatatata-ratatatata*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Ruu wrote: »
    I get off work this Thursday for it and thank god, I'm about to go mad at work. :/ *rattatatatata-ratatatata*

your an extermnator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

cazzy wrote: »

It's the 4th Thursday of the month, which is often the last, but not always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭JayoCluxton

Overheal wrote: »
    thanksgiving is important: its the holiday where the whole family gets together and kills eachother - "I had sex with your dog!" "I stole your credit cards!" "Mom, Dad; Im a lesbian." "Oh god can we hurry this up so i can go smoke some pot?"

QUOTE]

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

qft

I hope we can all forgive and forget so easily with the nazi's in a few hundred years, I wonder how the world would feel now if Germany had a 'railroad adventure' day to commemorate the holocaust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Hahaha, bingo, its the simple truth. And by the way if you ever wonder why the USA is overrun with fundie nutjobs and creationists, its because thats where they all went after Europeans got sick of their shit and started disposing of them wholesale.

yeah, europe's got a great record for wholesale human disposal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Mordeth wrote: »
    yeah, europe's got a great record for wholesale human disposal.
    Europe is not a country, nor do the countries that make it up celebrate genocide.

well the british killed lots of people in the middle east, the french in africa.. the germans.... well....

and let's not forget the wholesale murder that were ww1 and ww2, not quite genocide but still murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭roy123456789

Just thought if we had Thanksgiving it might de-xmas November and we could do with a Bank holiday in the dreariest month of the year as well

I suppose we could make peace with the dubliners and then kill them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Hey, now. No need to be combative. The actual day is a mark and celebration of when the native people on the continent shared their knowledge and goods with the immigrants(white europeans mostly). Not all of us of Native American blood frown upon the holiday, or hold it as a place card for the onset of our genocide(thoiugh it is a reminder). The actual original efforts were acts of good faith towards the first few Europeans that landed, and perhaps needed what assistance the locals could provide. Many of the first few were in America due to fleeing persecution, and hoping for a better life. That is the day we celebrate, both as Americans and as Natives. Not all the Europeans were directly responsible for the events that followed. And, certainly, very few in modern day America are not regretful of this part of their past.

Happy thanksgiving,

Wes Keller
    Southern Confederate Cherokees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

wyk wrote: »
    Hey, now. No need to be combative. The actual day is a mark and celebration of when the native people on the continent shared their knowledge and goods with the immigrants(white europeans mostly). Not all of us of Native American blood frown upon the holiday, or hold it as a place card for the onset of our genocide(thoiugh it is a reminder). The actual original efforts were acts of good faith towards the first few Europeans that landed, and perhaps needed what assistance the locals could provide. Many of the first few were in America due to fleeing persecution, and hoping for a better life. That is the day we celebrate, both as Americans and as Natives. Not all the Europeans were directly responsible for the events that followed. And, certainly, very few in modern day America are not regretful of this part of their past.

Happy thanksgiving,

Wes Keller
    Southern Confederate Cherokees

Thank you. As another poster with Native American blood (the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma and the Western Band of Cherokee), I agree. And I also agree with the poster who stated that 1492 marked the beginning of the decimation of Native Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The annual Smackdown! Thanksgiving women rolling around in some kind of sauce match must be this week then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

I got sent over to our Chicago office from Dublin until Christmas, and the feckers are making me work thursday and friday while the rest of the country is enjoying Thanksgiving. i'll be the only one in here "in case the phone rings" and because "I'm still on Irish public holidays when over here" bol!x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Most of General Philip Sheridan ("..the only good indian is a dead indian") men were first generation Irish. Sheridan was a monaghan man. So it would seem unfortunately the Irish had a big role in decimating the native americans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The last thursday in November this year is 29th (tomorrow week), so I guess its the 4th thursday... or if there are 5 thursdays, its the second last :D

I cover the states with my company, so thursday and friday are going to be quiet i reckon...

Advertisement