Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever been to court?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Femmy wrote: »
    i'm just back from court. there's a warrant for my ex's arrest..whoo!

The things that bring people joy eh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Was witness for the prosecution. Had to sit cramped in a pew for around 3 hours. Only when the case was called did I realise that the dude pressed up beside me for those 3 hours was the guy on trial... :rolleyes:

Didn't wait to see what happened to him, just left after giving my evidence. Also, embarassingly, referred to calling the Gardaí as "ringing 911" - the only experience I'd had of courts up to then was watching Law & Order :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Had jury duty, got on a case second day, an Arson attack in a halting site, twas good, got a yummy 3 course meal everyday and a swift pint at lunch with the other jurors, typical ireland!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Rob_l wrote: »
    The things that bring people joy eh

Believe me, he deserves it.and alot more...

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

Believe me, he deserves it.and alot more...

Care to fill us in on our otherwise dull Wedneday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yes, I'm intrigued!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mimi3637

Was first dragged into family court by my money-grabbing mother when I was doing my Junior Cert.

Last year (I'm now 24!!) I accompanied by dad to his divorce hearing from aforementioned money-grabbing mother. Family courts are an absolute joke and are totally favoured towards the wife. Never getting married ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

watna wrote: »
    Yes, I'm intrigued!

Femmy has my 100% attention, concentration span not that good though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

When at school I did work experience in the High Court in Belfast. Tbh, I just wandered about looking at stuff.

Anyway, I was sitting in on some bail hearings one morning and there was a scumbag of some sort up for possession of firearms with intent or something like that. When the judge refused him bail the bloke said, "yer nothing but a f**kin wigged bast**d". Needless to say he didn't endear himself to the judge. I was doing my best to hold in laughter but in the end had to excuse myself and go outside for a bit.

I have never been in court as an accused. This is because I am a pillar of the community and do a lot of work for charity and visit sick children in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I sued somebody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'd love to do Jury duty.

Me: He's guilty
    Judge: But we haven't even heard the case yet
    Me: He's guilty, I know by the look of him
    Judge: We have procedures and..
    Me: Your guilty too! Your all guilty! God will punish you all!!

My 2 year suspended sentence is up in February, soon I can be bold again.

:D:D:D

Well, it would take forever for me to go into the details of which all of this started....

basically , it was a maintenance order that he hasnt been adhearing to since sept 2006. he wont answer his phone, hasnt talked to his daughter in weeks, basically doesnt care atall...

If i go back further i could talk about the times my phone rang constantly with him shouting abuse at the other end, the threats he used to make on a daily basis to me and my family. the night he turned up at my house banging on the door, the time he locked me and my daughter into his house along with his own family and wouldnt let us leave until the guards were called by my father who cleverly enough stayed outside, the time he took my daughter from my home and i had to psychially fight him to get my crying daughter out of his arms....but i wont...
    I could also go back further again to the horrible and sometimes terrifying relationship we had..but i wont.

i wish it was all done with,m and i wish i could tell him to never pay maintenance and to stay out of our lives forever, but for my daughters case...i cant...cos he's her dad, and she loves him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

I was in court once for assualt

I threw a pie in someones face

It was worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Well, it would take forever for me to go into the details of which all of this started....

basically , it was a maintenance order that he hasnt been adhearing to since sept 2006. he wont answer his phone, hasnt talked to his daughter in weeks, basically doesnt care atall...

If i go back further i could talk about the times my phone rang constantly with him shouting abuse at the other end, the threats he used to make on a daily basis to me and my family. the night he turned up at my house banging on the door, the time he locked me and my daughter into his house along with his own family and wouldnt let us leave until the guards were called by my father who cleverly enough stayed outside, the time he took my daughter from my home and i had to psychially fight him to get my crying daughter out of his arms....but i wont...
    I could also go back further again to the horrible and sometimes terrifying relationship we had..but i wont.

i wish it was all done with,m and i wish i could tell him to never pay maintenance and to stay out of our lives forever, but for my daughters case...i cant...cos he's her dad, and she loves him!

:(

/Hugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Terry wrote: »
    Went to Kilmainham court with a friend who was up on an assault charge.
    I would not recommend that place to anyone.

It was funny when the junkie was sent down and his girlfriend started ranting at the judge, so the judge sent her down too. Overall though, quite a scary place.

Was in Richmond court on the 3rd of last month on traffic charges.
    Back for sentencing on the 12th of next month.

Most cases were struck out that day.
    The cop in chargeof my case had to turn up though.

Ahh well. You break the law, you face the consequences. No-one to blame but myself.

Was there on the 14th myself, with the OH, failure to produce a licence. Garda didn't do the paperwork properly and my boyfriend never even got called. But... he would have been sent down if he had of been... whoops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Enough said girl..... Sorry to hear that cr*p for you & your girl.... If you want to talk then PM me. I'll be there if you want to off load... I hate that sh*t.... Worked in that environment before so can relate....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

witness for the prosecution 4 times, 2 assaults, one car theft, 1 shoplifter.

Assault 1 was on me, in Kilmainham. Wasn't needed but when the Judge (Gillian Hussey) asked was the victim (me) there up i stood....17 years old and the incident in question was my first time having even given a guard my name!! To say i was kakking myself in front of the Judge is putting it mildly!! She was very nice though, and asked me what i'd like done with the money, when i said to charity she asked who's idea that was. I told her my mothers and she asked would i like it instead!! I said yes, and she grinned, and got it handed over.

Assault 2 was on a mate, down in Athy. Lad pleaded guilty on the court steps. It was fun handing my evil boss the summons though!! He was not impressed until he read it!!

car theft was down in Athy again, sod pleaded guilty and got jail time

Shoplifter ended up in the 4 courts. That was FUN!!!! She alleged false arrest agianst us too!! Think she's due out soon... (if soon was 2 years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

gatecrash wrote: »
    witness for the prosecution 4 times, 2 assaults, one car theft, 1 shoplifter.

Assault 1 was on me, in Kilmainham. Wasn't needed but when the Judge (Gillian Hussey) asked was the victim (me) there up i stood....17 years old and the incident in question was my first time having even given a guard my name!! To say i was kakking myself in front of the Judge is putting it mildly!! She was very nice though, and asked me what i'd like done with the money, when i said to charity she asked who's idea that was. I told her my mothers and she asked would i like it instead!! I said yes, and she grinned, and got it handed over.

Assault 2 was on a mate, down in Athy. Lad pleaded guilty on the court steps. It was fun handing my evil boss the summons though!! He was not impressed until he read it!!

car theft was down in Athy again, sod pleaded guilty and got jail time

Shoplifter ended up in the 4 courts. That was FUN!!!! She alleged false arrest agianst us too!! Think she's due out soon... (if soon was 2 years ago)
    Up in front of Hussey?
    I'd well believe you were crapping yourself.

I remember the bowsies around my way crapping themselves before going up in fromt of her. That was many, many years ago though. She's retired now. They actually gave her address out in the local rag when she retired. I didn't think that was a good idea.

About 15 years ago, five guys I knew got a week in the joy for asault from her.
    To say they cleaned up their acts afterwards would be an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Have ye ever been to court? Any good stories? Obviously don't tell us all about your murder trial :), but any you feel like telling us about, go ahead!

Have been in various courts for different reasons over the years, usually pretty boring places, but have seen a few unusual things.

In the circuit court in the four courts about 2 years ago waiting for my case to come up and some junkie was up before me for sentencing. The judge (Kathy Delahunt) obviously had had to deal with him a few times over the years because as soon as the clerk called the case she just sighed and said "its not looking good for you this time Carl?". Anyways he was up for possesion with intent to supply and got a three year sentence. But he obviously knew he was going down and had set something up with one of his mates in the courtroom and as soon as the judge called out the sentence his mobile went off and the ringtone was I Fought the Law by the Clash, the judge put her head down and started shaking it but you could see her shoulders jerking and her smiling and tell she was laughing away to herself. Then everyone in the court room just started laughing, Gardai and barristers and Carl most of all. Broke the tension up nicely.

Another time in the Dun Laoighre district court a while ago and some traveller fella was up for theft. Anyways he was asking the judge to grant him bail because his wife had gone into labour the night before (obviously making it up, I thought) and he wanted to be with her. So the judge grants him bail, but he for some reason kept arguing the point thinking she wasn't granting him bail, and she kept trying to tell him that he was granted it and to go. But he kept on at her saying how unfair it was and pleading with her to grant him bail. This went on for about 10 mins with even the arresting Garda in the case trying to tell him he was free to go and lead him out of the court room. Eventually the judge (not sure of her name, the usually Dun Laoighre dj) lets out this massive screech "Mr XXXXXXXXXX, for the love of god, you are free to go, you have your bail, go be with your wife, now before I change my mind!!!!!" So after all that your fella jumps up and says "Grand judge, why didn't you just say that 10 mins ago, I'd be in the hostpital by now" and then to the court in general "ahh now ya see boys, i knew shed give in if I argueed it for long enough".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭roy123456789

Speeding ....in the old days long before penalty points and fixed fines, when I was a sales Rep, now that I'm a Taxi Driver I own the bleedin' road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

That's life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Terry wrote: »
    Up in front of Hussey?
    I'd well believe you were crapping yourself.

I remember the bowsies around my way crapping themselves before going up in fromt of her. That was many, many years ago though. She's retired now. They actually gave her address out in the local rag when she retired. I didn't think that was a good idea.

About 15 years ago, five guys I knew got a week in the joy for asault from her.
    To say they cleaned up their acts afterwards would be an understatement.

Terry, I was on the side of Law and Order, Justice and truth and all that and I was still crapping myself!!!

In fairness to her though, she was consistent, tough when she needed to be. And I know of a few lads who have been the same, had the same from her, and done the same.

Have to say, hats off to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Up in front of a 'Driving Commission' (FR) many many years ago, for speeding (in style :o 96 instead of 50 mph)

Civil-type panel (not Judicial), composed of the local Superintendant, a Gay Byrne-type "Road Security special advisor", the local Sheriff ("Préfet") and a sworn note-taker.

My shiny new driving license wasn't 1 year old yet, so needless to say my defense ("late out of previous business meeting, late for next meeting, no time for lunch") flew about as well as a solid lead brick with the drag coefficient of a chest of draws... The Road Safety advisor was a Gandalfesque figure, with the gravitas to match, and when his first two questions were answered (how old are you again? long have you been driving?), my fries were about as done as can be.

Took my 2-months suspension and largeish fine like the man I was fast becoming ;)

That's life

Is that so....

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Got a parking fine, and forgot to pay it. Got summonsed to the district court. Put on me best suit, took the day off work and arrived at court. There are always some gas characters coming in and out, a family of overweight travellers (about 10 of them) kept coming in to the lobby and out for smokes en masse. They seemed to know the score.

Was there about an hour, waiting in the lobby. A guard comes out and says to everyone "mumble mumble... struck out". Eh what? Turned out the court was running late, all minor offences were being struck out. I got to see the free birds flying for another day. ;)

gatecrash wrote: »
    Terry, I was on the side of Law and Order, Justice and truth and all that and I was still crapping myself!!!

In fairness to her though, she was consistent, tough when she needed to be. And I know of a few lads who have been the same, had the same from her, and done the same.

Have to say, hats off to them.
    I had forgotten that I know you and know of that first case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

wriggled out of a credit card debt on a slimy legal technicality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

accompanied my brother to the family law court. took about 5yrs to get everything sorted

put me right off marriage after what i saw there. trust me lads, we dont ever come out of that place well.

Join the club, been in family court every month since april, criminal court every second month for crap she made up, (have been let off each time so at least the judges do seem to be able to see the wood for the trees) Was a bit taken aback also my first time with how little respect everyone showed the court, but the judges dont seem to mind.
    Family court is the worst, 60 people waiting around outside the court(30 of whom wont speak to or even make eye contact with the other 30) being herded around by various solicitors. But having said that the system does seem to work, even though Ive had to jump through hoops, and the burden of proof has been with me all the time, I seem to be getting to where I need to be!

Word of advice lads......Dont get a family law solicitor, get a GOOD family law solicitor. There is a big difference.

Femmy,please dont think I am saying you are a liar or that I have not the utmost sympathy for you and your daughter, But that is exactly what my Ex said when she decided not to let me see my kids, hence the court appearances etc, problem for me was it was all lies (as the courts seem to have now figured) out.
    Again I am not saying you are not telling the truth, Im just using your text as its circumstances are remarkably similar to my own.

Oh yeah. I went as a witness once for a chick who was being stalked.
    I ended up not having to give evidence. She had taken notes, so the guy was given a barring order anyway. Not that he obeyed it. He ended up in jail after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I was in court recently for some semi-serious summary charges. The old i'm not foreign/i'm a middle-class student defense works again!

Advertisement