Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsoft Doesn't Sleep (Off-topic MADNESS!!) Mod warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Arkslippy wrote: »
    I had to explain that maybe going into a chipper at 10pm on a Friday night wearing a full British army uniform and wearing a tac vest might not be a good idea.
    You've clearly never been to Catterick, North Yorkshire's garison town. Heard a story once of a warrior crew stopping off on the way back from an exersise... Apparently you can't get the smell of Indian out very well.

I see your point, and while i did reply to you, perhaps I used your post as an example. I'm sure the vast majority of people will see this, and already be doing the right thing. After all. It's simply logical. However for those few that might sit on the fence, i hope perhaps they take note. Sorry for singling you out Arky, but you presented such a delicious target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

I
    Firekitten wrote: »
    You've clearly never been to Catterick, North Yorkshire's garison town. Heard a story once of a warrior crew stopping off on the way back from an exersise... Apparently you can't get the smell of Indian out very well.

I see your point, and while i did reply to you, perhaps I used your post as an example. I'm sure the vast majority of people will see this, and already be doing the right thing. After all. It's simply logical. However for those few that might sit on the fence, i hope perhaps they take note. Sorry for singling you out Arky, but you presented such a delicious target.

I'd say that would be normal in a garrison town. I always operate by a simple personal rule when it comes to introducing people to airsoft.

If I think there is any chance that in the future someone say, "slippy is some ****er for bringing that guy into the game" I just don't do it.

In relation to wearing gear appropriately, if some one turned up in your chipper wearing a wearmacht uniform.....

A bloke wearing camo wouldnt raise many eyebrows. A Weirmacht uniform is a SLIGHTLY off example no?

I've turned up to many a petrol station or service station, etc, in dpm trousers and a teeshirt... its a matter of minimising the 'omg' factor. Take the jacket off... and its no more different than normal randomers wearing camo trousers. No big deal.

Every scenario is different, common sense is king. Its the application we need to work on.

Ok, some may see things differently. What is our job, as experienced players?

TEACH the new players so they dont end up as 'that guy'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Coming back from Bellurgan park last night (had to cry off having fecked my back up on an unexpected slide down the Hill yesterday evening) I was so sore and tired that I was debating just jumping into the car in full kit to drive home - but then I remembered that it was midnight on Saturday, there'd likely be traffic corps checkpoints and that I wasn't sure if there was enough fuel left to get me back to Dublin without having to stop off at a petrol station.

The thought went something like this.
    "err, what's yer man at out there" - Petrol station dude #1
    "... you mean yer man in the US woodland camo with knee pads and tac vest on - he's putting petrol in his car, no?" - Petrol station dude #2
    "yeah ... but I mean look at the state of him" - PSD#1
    "hmmm ... yeah" - PSD#2
    "Looks dodgy - should I call the 5-0?" - PSD#1
    "naw - he's probably just some harmless care in the community mental case" - PSD#2
    "yeah .. probably. Hang on - what's US woodland and how did you know that..." - PSD#1

PSD#1 then beats PSD#2 to death with a stapler as he suspects that he's been locked in the petrol station overnight with some lunatic.

Couldn't live with that on my conscience.
    So I changed.

Id never dream of leaving a site wearing full kit...

I shove my kneepads, gloves, belt kit, holsters, and stuff in my daypack, shove my plate carrier or osprey iver my arm, lob the two in the boot. and get in... Its not that much effort... I don't see the big deal in taking it off.

Only time ive been 'out' in full kit was an emergency services theme bar crawl...

Was up in full Armed Response Unit gear (part of an airsoft ARU team at the time)

Had to check my PASGT in to the bouncers at one club, they thought i might hit someone with it lol. Did get to kiss a real copper for my trouble though :D He thought it looked really class. Got his mate to take a photo of us together lol.

• Advertisement

Yeah - generally I arrive/leave a site wearing jeans/t-shirt. My apartment is overlooked from all angles by others and given that I live in god's waiting room (Sandymount) there's always some curtain twitcher waiting to give his/her evening some excitement by calling the cops to talk about some shaven headed freak wearing camo wandering around the place.

Yesterday was great - and I knew that as long as I managed to keep the plate carrier, belt and knee pads on I would be able to keep going. I made the mistake of taking off the plate carrier in the safe zone and knew from the aching muscles that I was done.

A bloke wearing camo wouldnt raise many eyebrows. A Weirmacht uniform is a SLIGHTLY off example no?

I've turned up to many a petrol station or service station, etc, in dpm trousers and a teeshirt... its a matter of minimising the 'omg' factor. Take the jacket off... and its no more different than normal randomers wearing camo trousers. No big deal.

Every scenario is different, common sense is king. Its the application we need to work on.

Ok, some may see things differently. What is our job, as experienced players?

TEACH the new players so they dont end up as 'that guy'

My point is that as an Irish person, I would avoid the possibility of some idiot who has had a fill of beer possibly seeing me in a full dpm outfit with a tacvest on, start asking why I'm wearing it and possibly making a scene.

I was pointing out to the noobs that what happens in airsoft stayed in airsoft and not to do anything that may draw attention to you. I often wear my tigerstripe to the chipper on the way home. But like you said, trousers only with a t-shirt.

I love my dpm but I only wear it to outdoor sites.

The wearmacht is a deliberate comparison to your eyes to what some people of less brain function might see here. Rare but you just don't leave the opportunity open.

Yeah, you do get a bit of that over here sometimes arkslippy - not as much these days, but there are still a few. I don't wear dpm - not for this reason, just because I'm not overly fond of the colours. That said the site for the Rionegro Mandate (Bellurgan) has shown me the value of dpm/woodland etc - multicam-ers stood out like sore thumbs in the woods, whereas myself and the two others in our 'recon' section, wearing woodland and 'fern-assisted-helmets' were able to avoid a fair few patrols on the trails while sitting within a few feet, completely unseen. I have a new found respect for woodland after the weekend - just goes to show that your camo needs to suit your surroundings.

He finally learns :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Airsoft getting dragged through the dirt on FM104 atm :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

Airsoft getting dragged through the dirt on FM104 atm :rolleyes:

What are they saying? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

Missed it. I'm sure people will be able to mention what was said later tonight or in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

It was just some auld lad saying ""oh it should be banned, etc, etc".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Every Saturday there's a neighbour down my street who is leaving for work, when im heading out skirmishing. Goes something like this...

"Hey Sean" *neighbour
    "Well" *me
    Im loaidng the kit into the boot at the time wearing camo trousers (no top)
    "Going fishing again?"
    "Um...yea..."

Everytime someone sees me wearing camo they assume i'm going fishing :confused: I don't even have any rods... People are weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Leftyflip wrote: »

Apparently some aul wans son was shot at and she was on the start of the show. No biggie.

swiftblade wrote: »
    Every Saturday there's a neighbour down my street who is leaving for work, when im heading out skirmishing. Goes something like this...

"Hey Sean" *neighbour
    "Well" *me
    Im loaidng the kit into the boot at the time wearing camo trousers (no top)
    "Going fishing again?"
    "Um...yea..."

Everytime someone sees me wearing camo they assume i'm going fishing :confused: I don't even have any rods... People are weird...

Amen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I am currently drinking the absolute finest ale I have ever tasted (and given the amount of weird and wonderful things I've had in the past, that's saying something). God bless you Scotland, and all that you produce, however limited the run may be.

Not on the Tennants are you? :P
    have some standards...

Leftyflip wrote: »

The usual I see.
    Apparently some aul wans son was shot at and she was on the start of the show. No biggie.

No body hurt or Gardai called though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Not on the Tennants are you? :P
    have some standards...

Tennants? They still make that? I thought the solely supplied B&Q for own-brand paint stripper and rat poison these days?

• Advertisement

Still very much in production, and Glasgow's favourite... as per.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

NakedDex wrote: »
    I am currently drinking the absolute finest ale I have ever tasted (and given the amount of weird and wonderful things I've had in the past, that's saying something). God bless you Scotland, and all that you produce, however limited the run may be.

Tonight I'm going to begin the process of making 25 Liters of Cider :D
    Hopefully it will be ready to drink in about 20 Days and wont poison me.
    Fingers crossed it wont be cloudy and look and smell of hamster piss!

~B

bullets wrote: »
    Tonight I'm going to begin the process of making 25 Liters of Cider :D
    Hopefully it will be ready to drink in about 20 Days and wont poison me.
    Fingers crossed it wont be cloudy and look and smell of hamster piss!

~B

Something like this? I'm tempted to try and make cider in college out of interest, but it takes about a month overall if not more depending on how quick the rate of fermentation is.

Got a Coopers Kit with a huge drum that works with a burb system instead of an airlock. 6-7 days to ferment all going well, then ya bottle it and do a secondary ferment for a further 14 days before finally chilling in the fridge.
    shelf life of 3 months. 18-20 Euro's and a bag of sugar will get ya 23.5l

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I made my own mead a while ago, and after establishing that it tasted much better after getting mad drunk on something better first, it worked out well enough.

Even cheaper, too, although my flatmate wasn't mad about having a massive, uncorked container of yeasty honey water in the middle of the kitchen for three months.

Keep us posted on the cider. Where did you get the kit?

I made my own mead a while ago, and after establishing that it tasted much better after getting mad drunk on something better first, it worked out well enough.

Even cheaper, too, although my flatmate wasn't mad about having a massive, uncorked container of yeasty honey water in the middle of the kitchen for three months.

Keep us posted on the cider. Where did you get the kit?

This is the Kit I bought, (But I got it from the local offy and was charged 125 Euros)

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=813

Had the mixture stirred up last night but only had a really crappy stick on
    thermometer like you see on fish tanks. for ages it said the temp was over 30 until finally when it felt coldish it was decided that it had to be under 30 after sitting for 2-3 hours in the Kitchen so the little packet of yeast was added.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

This is the Kit I bought, (But I got it from the local offy and was charged 125 Euros)

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=813

Had the mixture stirred up last night but only had a really crappy stick on
    thermometer like you see on fish tanks. for ages it said the temp was over 30 until finally when it felt coldish it was decided that it had to be under 30 after sitting for 2-3 hours in the Kitchen so the little packet of yeast was added.

~B

I used to brew wine years ago and only recently chucked out all the gear I had for making it
    Not sure if it is the same for cider but the yeast was always started in a small container of warm water for an hour or so to allow it to get going before adding it to the rest of the Liquid

I had to give it up after a few months as I was getting way to fond for sampling it at all and any occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Just wondering, are under 18's allowed use pyro when playing in the UK ?

DeBurca wrote: »
    I used to brew wine years ago and only recently chucked out all the gear I had for making it
    Not sure if it is the same for cider but the yeast was always started in a small container of warm water for an hour or so to allow it to get going before adding it to the rest of the Liquid

I had to give it up after a few months as I was getting way to fond for sampling it at all and any occasion

From reading I was getting a lot of mixed instructions so hopefully everythings ok. Some said sprinkle yeast over the top after everyhing was full and not stir,
    others said stir like mad! and others said warm the yeast in water in a cup before you add it.
    ALso Not sure why light would affect it as it says keep it in the dark. Maybe UV rays might kill yeast?
    seeing bubbles slowly rising to the surface now that its day 1.

If all goes well, I'll bottle it and bring out a few bottles for a thirsty looking fellow Airsofter
    who was in my house the other night watching me stir the brew! (Yes I mean you Shaun if your reading)

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

From reading I was getting a lot of mixed instructions so hopefully everythings ok. Some said sprinkle yeast over the top after everyhing was full and not stir,
    others said stir like mad! and others said warm the yeast in water in a cup before you add it.
    ALso Not sure why light would affect it as it says keep it in the dark. Maybe UV rays might kill yeast?
    seeing bubbles slowly rising to the surface now that its day 1.

If all goes well, I'll bottle it and bring out a few bottles for a thirsty looking fellow Airsofter
    who was in my house the other night watching me stir the brew! (Yes I mean you Shaun if your reading)

~B

I also made beer but that was never as successful as the wine and I used to also start the yeast in some warm water before adding it to the main mixture which had to be stirred on a daily basis
    Anyway as it is starting to give off bubbles then that shows that the yeast is starting to convert the sugar to booze
    I bottled the beer at first which was OK, later I used a barrel to have it on tap which was pressurised with CO2 which improved it a lot
    It was WAY to handy to have on tap and so it had to go

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement