Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The EU, in your opinion, Good or Bad for Ireland?

Options
  • 14-11-2007 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Whats your opinion on the EU good or bad for the country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Good.
    Whats your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mike Funnelly

I was reading some of the threads in AH about 'Do you class yourself as a Republican?, and it struck me that although I would class myself as a Republican ie. I believe in the Republic and that we should govern ourselves, we are becoming part of a European "Super-State", but that we are starting to lose some of the advantages that remaining a republic would give us, such as control over Central Bank Interest rates, being obliged to implement laws coming from Brussels which are not in our best interests. That being said there is no denying that we have done extremely well from being part of the EU, but I feel that we should start asking ourselves " is being a member of the EU in the best interest of Ireland as a Republic and us as a people".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I honestly think that even though some parts are good for Eire, there are others which are bad, and what i am referring to is the way the law is enforced. Because of EU law's it's getting harder and harder for the law to be enforced without fear of being sued... We should take a leaf from Americas book and use a "Disable first, arrest, question later" approach, and if they're wrong in their arrest, then a simple "oh sorry, off with ya" reply. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

If we didnt join the EU the Tiger economy would most likely never have happened and we would still be emigrating ourselves.

Whether thats a good thing or not is personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I travel allot around Europe so I think it's great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its great, look at all them hot eastern european birds walking around!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,249 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Id say its not up to question: before joining the EU Ireland was as Pov' as hell: thanks to EU backing its grown into one of the wealthiest countries on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

ScumLord wrote: »

Been to Norway ?

Agree with Mike Funnelly.

Ireland out of EU!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Its great! EU is the reason im now living in Slovenia, with all the hot eastern european birds! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Yeah all the american and foreign multinationals only came here cause we were in the EU, we then offered tax breaks, we spoke english we were educated. thats where most our money came from - the medical and high tech multinational sector - Intel, Dell, Boston Scientific etc and other medical companies. They wouldnt have come here if we werent in the EU.
    Then we got all that money from EU directly to build our roads and infrastructural network .
    Without it Ireland would be a very different country today. We gave up a lot to get all this though - maybe it wont be until further into the future that we will regret what we gave up. Did i SEE THAT in a few years the EU will be competing in the olympics as one state and ireland wont have its own green kit but a kit and flag identical to all other EU competitors ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It has it's good and bad points but mostly good.

Been to Norway ?

Agree with Mike Funnelly.

Ireland out of EU!
    Not yet no, Estonia, Latvia and Finland next.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mike Funnelly

The EU is fantastic as regards travelling and the open borders, theres no doubt about it,however,
    Overheal wrote: »
    Id say its not up to question: before joining the EU Ireland was as Pov' as hell: thanks to EU backing its grown into one of the wealthiest countries on the continent.

and as Overheal makes the point, it has made us one of the wealthiest countries on the planet, not just the continent, however. Although we are so well off in appearance, the amount of debt we have is unbelievable, and this is where the EU is and will fail us in the future. Because we don't have control of our interest rates we are totally at the mercy of our European masters, who will undoubtable act in the best interests of the "big" European countries and to hell with the rest of us, that's where being an independent state monetarywise has its advantages, England's the example, the government has control over the interest rate rises and as such has control over inflation.Along with that, the way they are on about restructuring the EU parliament, we may as well pull our pants to our ankles, because we are going to get a much rougher ride in the future. The larger countries will be doing what suits them in the best interest of their people.

Although we are so well off in appearance, the amount of debt we have is unbelievable, and this is where the EU is and will fail us in the future. Because we don't have control of our interest rates we are totally at the mercy of our European masters, who will undoubtable act in the best interests of the "big" European countries and to hell with the rest of us.Along with that, the way they are on about restructuring the EU parliament, we may as well pull our pants to our ankles, because we are going to get a much rougher ride in the future. The larger countries will be doing what suits them in the best interest of their people.

One of the main reasons the UK refused to "go all the way" with the EU, much harder to get shafted if you're not a fully integrated member.

But a strong united EU works better in the global economy when trading with the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

I tell you, if hunting of whales ever comes back into fashion we're in the wrong place...but until then, and all things remaining equal, methinks we're in the right place...EU - Although like a previous poster, I too, have a sneaky regard for the UK's 'One Foot in/the other Foot out' position on certain issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Studying EU law right now - it would seem most of my compatriots are wary of further integration with the EU central government system e.g. EU constitution and "reform treaty" referendum we'll have next year.

The EU has expanded widely beyond its original mandate - is that a good thing? We as a small nation would be at the mercy of bigger nations anyway (in fact moreso) than if we were not part of the EU. As long as our goals coincide then we have the clout of 300+ million people behind us on the global stage (economic/political etc). Otherwise - we're just a measly country of 4 million who do not have free trade with our neighbouring countries.

I'm very pro-Euro (the coin!) and pro-freedom of travel. I would be much more wary of tax harmonisation though (a major reason the FDI keeps coming into Ireland even though our wage levels are so high). Bertie's getting paid more than the US president because we earn a lot more than our US compatriots (but I think he gets paid more than enough already).

So European Union - I vote to stay in, definitely. But keep a trace of our sovereignty please.

It's late, I'm writing a legal essay and I don't know why I wasted 5 minutes of my time talking about the EU... :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I think it's a good thing, that a little insignificant windy rainy rock like Ireland is involved in something as grand as the EU. Bertie Ahern being EU president ffs, that's the most power any Irish person must ever have had...
    Personally I am so effed off with our government, I'd like to see it dissolved and have us run from Brussels or something, at least they know how to run countries on the mainland, e.g. public transport, healthcare etc.
    Or would it be possible to outsource our government departments/ministers to contractors? We could get some Germans or Scandinavian pros in to do all the management and organisation, something our shower of money grabbing back-stabbing C**TS can't do to save their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i think it's a good thing simply because i think the politicians of France/Germany/Italy/etc. aren't quite as clueless as to how to run a country as ours are.

Oh and the eastern european women!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I honestly think that even though some parts are good for Eire, there are others which are bad, and what i am referring to is the way the law is enforced. Because of EU law's it's getting harder and harder for the law to be enforced without fear of being sued... We should take a leaf from Americas book and use a "Disable first, arrest, question later" approach, and if they're wrong in their arrest, then a simple "oh sorry, off with ya" reply. :D

Brilliant. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Thirdfox wrote: »
    So European Union - I vote to stay in, definitely. But keep a trace of our sovereignty please.

I agree with this, the EU was the best thing to ever happen to us and in it's current form is still very good for us. however a lot of the new proposals have the potential to undermine a lot of what we have worked for, particularly with the regards the tax harmonization. At the same time, full sovereignty or not, regardless of what happens to us it will still probably be better for us to stay in the EU....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Overheal wrote: »

Why is it still such a hole then?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Jumpy wrote: »
    Why is it still such a hole then?
    How many cars are in your driveway?

Come back to me when the shít hits the fan.
    Then you'll know what a hole is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

We've done fantastically well out of the EU. I like to think of the EU as Bertie's babysitter. He and his dodgy friends can't be trusted to run the country by themselves.

Terry wrote: »
    How many cars are in your driveway?
    I don't have a driveway to put my car in, what kind of ****ed up country allows something like that to happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i've always been a little wary of it tbh...unsure of the wiseness of the EUs 'march eastwards' also. i certainly would not like to be part of an EU which included Turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Of course it's a good thing.

The reason Norway is rich is because of their North Sea Oil Reserves. They would lose money by joining the EU and instead have special trade agreements - they might still join in the future though.

Anyone know what this new treaty is about? I was listening to some English lad on Newstalk and he was sounding were arrogant and patronizing saying of course we shud vote yes........

I am happy with the EU but there are few things I'm starting not to like......I don't want Turkey in the EU. We let Romania in too early and I don't want to move towards are united states of Europe.

I am happy with the EU but there are few things I'm starting not to like......I don't want Turkey in the EU.
    That's mean. You made Turkey cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't have a driveway to put my car in, what kind of ****ed up country allows something like that to happen?
    The EHCR will sort you out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Ever since Rod Stewart sang about Young Turks I've been against their inclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

ireland would be alot worse place than it is now without the EU...
    every major piece of infrastructure built in the last 20 years is part funded by the EU..
    we wud still be the s**thole people were fighting to leave in the 80's. The EU has meant alot of jobs in this country...free trade etc.

Advertisement