Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micko's view of the Dubs

Options
  • 13-11-2007 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Anyone see Mick O'Dwyer's interview in the sunday paper the other week? There was a section mainly about Bailey offering his the job before Lyons was finished. Anyway, I thought Micko made a great point when he talked about how Dublin seems to produce forwards that are carbon copies of each other, and that they don't seem to scoure junior/intermediate clubs - the view being that unless you play for a senior club there's no point in looking at you.

Expecting Caffrey to shake up the front row in the O'Byrne and the league...same as last year. I'm sure he will. He aready hinted at it by dropping Quinn in the championship. Any new young players in the running for a call up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

not sure about new players up front but i defo think we'll see diarmuid connolly given another run, a la last year... possibly a return to the half forwards for bryan cullen too? i'd like to see that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭EoimarMuppet

Dublins best chance of Sam is if we field this team
    Cluxton
    Shaughs
    Christie (supposeldy finished the study and will be back) or Ross McC
    Griffs
    Henry
    Cahill
    Brennan.
    Whelan
    Ryan (c)
    Brogan
    Cullen
    Brogan
    Keaney
    Vaughan
    Mossy

Jayo off the bench, Connolly pushing. McGee Ready for 20 mins if neeed. Casey cant seem to put 2 good games back to back. Reminds me of Goggins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kerry On Tour

Dublins best chance of Sam is if we field this team
    Cluxton
    Shaughs
    Christie (supposeldy finished the study and will be back) or Ross McC
    Griffs
    Henry
    Cahill
    Brennan.
    Whelan
    Ryan (c)
    Brogan
    Cullen
    Brogan
    Keaney
    Vaughan
    Mossy

Jayo off the bench, Connolly pushing. McGee Ready for 20 mins if neeed. Casey cant seem to put 2 good games back to back. Reminds me of Goggins.

Surely you have something more in the county in the form of full/corner forwards than Vaughan or Quinn. Being brutally honest, I wouldn't even have them on our panel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

it doesnt matter they will always believe their own hype and go out either quarters or semis!!!!!

Dont write Vaughan off just yet KOT. The likes of Stafford and Sheridan proved how much a fella who even if he can only take frees can be worth. People spent 5 years saying if we had a free taker........now we have one. And he has bags of talent. Vaughan has it all there for him if he keeps the head and takes it. Huge Huge raw talent. But slow tho. In more ways than one ;)
    As for Mossy.....he had a very poor year in 07, but I have faith. Connolly may yet come thru tho and hopefully he does.

• Advertisement

Dont write Vaughan off just yet KOT. The likes of Stafford and Sheridan proved how much a fella who even if he can only take frees can be worth. People spent 5 years saying if we had a free taker........now we have one. And he has bags of talent. Vaughan has it all there for him if he keeps the head and takes it. Huge Huge raw talent. But slow tho. In more ways than one ;)
    As for Mossy.....he had a very poor year in 07, but I have faith. Connolly may yet come thru tho and hopefully he does.

When the chips were down in the big game against Kerry his freetaking was dire. He is not enough of a natural footballer and was marked out of it by Reidy who was given a torrid time in the 2 previous games to that. I can't honestly believe that a county like Dublin hasn't been scoured and torn apart (at all levels of club football) to unearth a gem of an inside forward. It's not the first time I have heard this about Dublin selectors, that if you are not playing with a senior club then forget about playing for Dublin??? SHOCKING!

KOT
    How would u rate the brogans?

KOT
    How would u rate the brogans?

Highly. I think Bernard will be better. Alan is without doubt talented but tends to go on his own a lot. Bernard will be a major player in coming seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭JayoCluxton

Liam

No place for Bonner there? I hear he's taking next season very seriously. He has even given up alcohol - on the coke instead!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rushie

Cullen will play in the fowards next year, possible just behind them so he can operate as an auxiliary midfielder. O Shaughnessy Cahill and Goggins/Brennan at half back. Still too reliant on Keaney and Brogan(s), need another creative forward.

• Advertisement

i'm pretty creative....and i am a better footballer than Declan Lally......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 holymolyHS

KOT - bit harsh to say when the chips were down Vaughan missed his frees, I think he only missed 2 for the whole game, granted one of them was a tap over. Kerry did expose that if they didn't give away frees to Vaughan he's usefulness is limited. But look we've been crying out for a consistent free taker for a long time now, makes me wonder had Vaughan taken the 6 or 7 kicks against Tyrone in the replay in 05, could that game have gone differently.
    Would love to have a Gooch/Stevie Mc type of forward - someone who will consistently score 4 or 5 a game and will always be trouble for the oppositions defence. But these players don't grow on trees, or maybe they do in Kerry!!
    I don't think our problem is in our forwards though, our defence is the first place that needs fixing. No.3 is the best place to start, if Paddy Christie is fit, I'd have him back in a heart beat regardless of the fact he's played no IC football in 2 years. I would also like to see Ger Brennan get a longer run in the team ahead of Casey. I thought he played quite well in the few games I saw him in the league

holymolyHS wrote: »
    Would love to have a Gooch/Stevie Mc type of forward - someone who will consistently score 4 or 5 a game and will always be trouble for the oppositions defence. But these players don't grow on trees, or maybe they do in Kerry!!

Its a pity they don't grow in threes - then we'd have a complete full or hall forward line!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Cluxton in goals (obviously), with Michael Savage as back up.

Griffin is nailed on at number 4, either McConnell or Barry Cahill at full back and a choice between O'Shaughnessy and Henry for right corner.

Ger Brennan definitely deserves his chance this year. I also think it's time to drop Paul Casey. If Pillar decides to persist with Collie Moran, I'd rather see him at right half back, Cullen or Cahill in the centre and Ger at left half back.

Midfield pairing picks itself. I'm not a big fan of Darren Magee and Johnny hasn't done anything to merit his inclusion on the panel.

The forward line is fairly tricky but definitely does need a reshuffle. The players that should be retained there from last year are the Brogans, Vaughan and Keaney. Dermot Connolly deserves his chance and is the most natural footballer I've ever played with/against. Mossie is very underrated aswell and offers a lot more from play than he is given credit for. Bryan Cullen may be switched to centre forward but I still think his best position is at number 6. Also, I think Paddy Andrews should be called up to the panel this year. Has had a very good year for Brigids and is definitely one for the future.

I'm sure there's a few more you can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Forget about Paddy Christie lads...no chance! McConnell got a lot of flack after one of the games last season...can't remember which but he'll get better. I remember a couple of occasions under Tommy Carr and Lyons when Christie was beaten for every ball. He was good, no doubt, but would hardly be up there with Paul McGrath against Italy in the Giant's Stadium.

Agree about Connolly and Brennan - very good in last year's O'Byrne Cup, and I'm sure Connolly will step up to it next year.

Wouldn't be listening to that 'Kerry on Tour' lad....Vaughan is quality. Keaney a good free-taker also. Anyway, Kerry choked a few frees under pressure in that match also - there's no such thing as perfection...and for 'Kerryman on tour' to turn around and say that Alan Brogan "tends to go on his own alot". Get off the stage! Alan Brogan's class isn't even open for debate.

Casey's fearless - a good player to have in any team. Moran I don't know...a useful utility player. Cullen might make a good captain. In general I think the team should stay together, and I do think that the older heads definitely still have something to offer, Cosgrove (stop duffing those chances), Sherlock, and Goggins.

Micko made a great point about how the Dubs are too attack minded, with the backs always looking to get forward. Tighten up at the back and we'll be grand.

I like Mossy but I have to say he does look sluggish. He just never looks like he's gonna get to the ball ahead of the corner back - and he doesn't. He seems to lack pace at IC level - and that's vital for a guy playing in the corner. Re A Brogan - you can't argue with two All Stars in a row but I think we could get a lot more from him in terms of his vision. This should improve as he matures but he defo has taken the wrong option on too many occasions, running into blind alleys without looking at options around him. He is class but if he sorts that out he'd be awesome! Agree Vaughan merits a place - he can also be a goal threat. A few times this year - especially against Derry - he found acres of space and wasn't used. That needs addressing.

Btw last time we won 4 Leinsters in a row we went on to take Sam. ;)

Mossy mightn't be blessed with blistering pace but I do believe that he's the most intelligent forward we have. He brings a lot of other forwards into play with his clever knockdowns and lay-offs. He definitely deserves his place in the squad and can stake a claim for a place in the starting 15. He's also a great finisher and has gotten some vital goals for us in the past few years.

Forget about Paddy Christie lads...no chance! McConnell got a lot of flack after one of the games last season...can't remember which but he'll get better. I remember a couple of occasions under Tommy Carr and Lyons when Christie was beaten for every ball. He was good, no doubt, but would hardly be up there with Paul McGrath against Italy in the Giant's Stadium.

Agree about Connolly and Brennan - very good in last year's O'Byrne Cup, and I'm sure Connolly will step up to it next year.

Wouldn't be listening to that 'Kerry on Tour' lad....Vaughan is quality. Keaney a good free-taker also. Anyway, Kerry choked a few frees under pressure in that match also - there's no such thing as perfection...and for 'Kerryman on tour' to turn around and say that Alan Brogan "tends to go on his own alot". Get off the stage! Alan Brogan's class isn't even open for debate.

Casey's fearless - a good player to have in any team. Moran I don't know...a useful utility player. Cullen might make a good captain. In general I think the team should stay together, and I do think that the older heads definitely still have something to offer, Cosgrove (stop duffing those chances), Sherlock, and Goggins.

Micko made a great point about how the Dubs are too attack minded, with the backs always looking to get forward. Tighten up at the back and we'll be grand.

Please do inform me of the frees Kerry choked for, all I can remember is Bryan Sheehan knocking one over from about 60 yards while Vaughan was kicking 30 yard frees in front of the goal wide. And he did nothing else all that game.

Never said Brogan wasn't class, and it's actually Dubs who have given out to me that he tends to take an extra touch on the ball the odd time. I think Bernard has the potential to be better is what I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Please do inform me of the frees Kerry choked for, all I can remember is Bryan Sheehan knocking one over from about 60 yards while Vaughan was kicking 30 yard frees in front of the goal wide. And he did nothing else all that game.

Never said Brogan wasn't class, and it's actually Dubs who have given out to me that he tends to take an extra touch on the ball the odd time. I think Bernard has the potential to be better is what I said.
    Said it before and no problems saying it again, A Brogan is too tunnel visioned. I think to make him top class he needs to look up more often for other options. If he could do that he would be absolute top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Casey has his on-off games.He seemed to be blowing hot and cold against Laois and in one of the Meath games,the first game.Quality defender but is prone to error.I was nearly calling for him to be replaced after the first Meath game.

Collie Moran has shown himself to be possibly one of the most skilled players on the team but again on some occasions he can skip by 3-4 players with ease and stick it wide but I thought he played well against Laois,Derry and Kerry and he set up the goal for Mossy against Tyrone in 05.However,the captaincy should go to somebody else now.

As for Cosgrove,he is past it.2002 and 2003 were his prime years and he showed shades of past form in 06 against Laois but when it comes to crunch games,he's unfortunate not to take his chances.Interestingly enough,he has never scored as a substitute in big games.I think for the best interest of Dublin he should call it quits.

Goggins has disappeared off the radar.Very tough defender but could give away easy frees and penalties ie against Wexford in 05.Griffin is gone for 08 and Dublin need Shaughnessy in there.He's not afraid to go up front either and score a point.
    My lineup is the following with these positions

1.Cluxton

2.O Shaughnessy 3.McConnell 4.Cahill

5.Casey 6.Henry 7.Brennan

8.Whelan 9.Ryan

10.B Brogan/D Magee 11.Moran 12.Cullen

13.Keaney 14.A Brogan(c) 15.Vaughan

Subs bench

J Sherlock
    M Quinn
    D Connolly
    N Billings
    D Magee
    P Kelly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 holymolyHS

Blackbelts team
    1.Cluxton
    8.Whelan 9.Ryan

Wouldn't go along with the same team as yourself. A new no.3 and no. 6 are needed. If Griffin is gone for 08 (I'd be hoping he makes a dramatic return by May, tsunami danger in the pacific or something) then Shaughs is the automatic replacement. Unless we have another natural corner back to come in then I wouldn't be moving David Henry. If we did then he would come out to 5 for me. Barry Cahill was outstanding at no.7 this year so I wouldn't be moving him at all either. Cullen has been far more successful as a forward than as a center half back, he looks destined to be a half forward.
    This of course leaves a massive hole through our spine. Like I said, if Paddy Christie was fit, I would have him back in at no.3. Nothing against McConnell, thought he did ok, but I think he would be much better used out the field. He should get a run at no. 6 in the league, see how it works.
    But realistically we need to start unearthing some new talent, what we have in the backs isn't good enough so new blood is needed, badly.
    Up front, Collie Moran, in my book, doesn't deserve a place ahead of Mossy Quinn. Mossy, can still get the odd score every now and again, scored 3 goals in 06. I know why Moran is in the team and I think he must be popular with the rest of the players since he's been captain for some time now, but he offers very little. Thought he did ok in a couple of games this year but nothing worth talking about. I'm hoping Diarmuid Connolly can come good and be the half forward we hope he will be. But again, it wouldn't hurt to have a few new players coming through.

blackbelt wrote: »
    Casey has his on-off games.He seemed to be blowing hot and cold against Laois and in one of the Meath games,the first game.Quality defender but is prone to error.I was nearly calling for him to be replaced after the first Meath game.

Collie Moran has shown himself to be possibly one of the most skilled players on the team but again on some occasions he can skip by 3-4 players with ease and stick it wide but I thought he played well against Laois,Derry and Kerry and he set up the goal for Mossy against Tyrone in 05.However,the captaincy should go to somebody else now.

As for Cosgrove,he is past it.2002 and 2003 were his prime years and he showed shades of past form in 06 against Laois but when it comes to crunch games,he's unfortunate not to take his chances.Interestingly enough,he has never scored as a substitute in big games.I think for the best interest of Dublin he should call it quits.

Goggins has disappeared off the radar.Very tough defender but could give away easy frees and penalties ie against Wexford in 05.Griffin is gone for 08 and Dublin need Shaughnessy in there.He's not afraid to go up front either and score a point.
    My lineup is the following with these positions

1.Cluxton

8.Whelan 9.Ryan

Subs bench

J Sherlock
    M Quinn
    D Connolly
    N Billings
    D Magee
    P Kelly

Blackbelt, were you drunk last night?! :p

Wholesale changes aren't called for this year. Pillar has been building the team and this will be their third year together. 2 AI semis in the past 2 years. Barry Cahill would be wasted at corner back and is a much better option in the half back line. David Henry at centre back is like a lesser version of Cullen. They talked about a lack of leadership and Cullen going missing last year, Henry is 10 times worse. He can't even mark his man at corner back! Agree on Ger Brennan at wing back (and not just because I'm a Vinnies man! ;) ).

I'm happy with the midfield pairing and they seem to have built up a great partnership with Whelan in the air and Shane Ryan mopping up the breaking ball.

If that half forward line ever starts together in a championship match (with Darren Magee), I'll do the unthinkable and don a Meath jersey! :eek:

In truth, I just don't rate Darren Magee and there are far better players in Dublin who offer more than 20 minutes a game. Bernard Brogan has earned his place there. A half forward line with both Collie Moran and Bryan Cullen is far too defensive imho. If Cullen is moved to centre forward, it'll be as a link man between defence/midfield and attack and to help out in midfield when needed. If that happens, I don't see any need for Collie Moran there aswell. Mossie or Dermot Connolly could both do a job there.

In the full forward line, I'd switch Keaney and Alan Brogan but I wouldn't give the captaincy to Brogan. Cullen, Whelan, Shane Ryan, Cluxton or Cahill would be better for me.

The subs are what led me to believe you were drunk! :D Pat Kelly is from Mayo and Neal Billings will be lucky if he gets a call up to the 21's. He's a converted defender and although I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the setup in the future, that certainly wont happen this year. Paddy Andrews might be worth the punt and I'm sure he'll get his run out in the O'Byrne cup (if the GPA end their strike).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Point taken about Cosgrove, although he always looks a cut above the rest at club level. Goggins is a rock lads - always makes an impact when he comes off the bench. He's a hardy fecker. Surprised he doesn't get more starts. Anyway, what became of O'Shaughnessy - is he out of favour or has he been injured?

I don't think the captaincy is a big issue with the dubs. Plenty of leaders on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

How did you know I was wasted last night?

I did drown the sorrows last night when I found out my thesis subject had already been done 3 years ago.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Cullen based on what I have seen last year (not so much the year before when he was given a bit of a roasting by McDonald) would be a good bet for your captain. He drove the team forward when Kerry were having a purple patch in the 2nd half and in threat of going out of sight and kicked a massive score towards the end which nearly left a damp patch in my jeans. Also for honesty in his performance and consistency over the last 2 years Shane Ryan surely deserves consideration for your captain.
    Galvin our captain for next year, more incentive. . . probably nobody outside Kerry wants to see Paul lift sam :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I tend to view Alan Brogan and our own John Mullane in the same light: both are undoubtedly talented, can score amazing points and are potential match winners on their day. However more often than not however, they tend to wander down blind alleys and tend to be somewhat self indulgent in their play, going for the more complicated, flashy scores when the simpler option of finding a team mate in better position is the better one. Both players need to mature i a big way and do so fast if they're ever to realise their undoubted potential.

blackbelt wrote: »
    How did you know I was wasted last night?

I did drown the sorrows last night when I found out my thesis subject had already been done 3 years ago.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Take your pick! The inclusion of Darren Magee in the starting line-up was one reason, 4 of the 6 subs from Vinnies including Pat Kelly from Mayo. Best of luck with the thesis anyway, luckily enough I got that over with last year. :)
    Galvin our captain for next year, more incentive. . . probably nobody outside Kerry wants to see Paul lift sam :D

And you'd be right. I can't stand Paul Galvin, possibly stemming from that waterbottle incident a couple of years ago. I'd have much more respect for the O'Se brothers and wouldn't begrudge any of them the captaincy.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    I tend to view Alan Brogan and our own John Mullane in the same light: both are undoubtedly talented, can score amazing points and are potential match winners on their day. However more often than not however, they tend to wander down blind alleys and tend to be somewhat self indulgent in their play, going for the more complicated, flashy scores when the simpler option of finding a team mate in better position is the better one. Both players need to mature i a big way and do so fast if they're ever to realise their undoubted potential.

There are some similarities between the 2 but I still think people are being a little harsh on Alan Brogan. He has won 2 consecutive All Stars and is a vital player for Dublin. Some of his link-up play with brother Bernard was top class aswell.

An Citeog wrote: »
    Take your pick! The inclusion of Darren Magee in the starting line-up was one reason, 4 of the 6 subs from Vinnies including Pat Kelly from Mayo. Best of luck with the thesis anyway, luckily enough I got that over with last year. :)

And you'd be right. I can't stand Paul Galvin, possibly stemming from that waterbottle incident a couple of years ago. I'd have much more respect for the O'Se brothers and wouldn't begrudge any of them the captaincy.

Entirely the fault of John Toal who caming on and knocked him over, had no business getting involved. I was right there that day and Galvin initially just ask for a sup of water (which is common place, I play in the full forward line and often ask the keeper for a drink or the guy who runs out with the bottle for a sup, no problems). Galvin was STUPID that day to get involved and I was cursing him, should have just let him off! I think he has improved though this year, doesn't get stuck in half as much stupid stuff. And he will have to improve again if he is to represent his county as captain.

Entirely the fault of John Toal who caming on and knocked him over, had no business getting involved. I was right there that day and Galvin initially just ask for a sup of water (which is common place, I play in the full forward line and often ask the keeper for a drink or the guy who runs out with the bottle for a sup, no problems). Galvin was STUPID that day to get involved and I was cursing him, should have just let him off! I think he has improved though this year, doesn't get stuck in half as much stupid stuff. And he will have to improve again if he is to represent his county as captain.

He's just one of those players I don't like. I'm not doubting his ability or importance to the Kerry team, I just don't like his attitude and some of the cynical crap he does (and gets away with) on the pitch. The cynical rugby tackle he made on Paul Casey this year as he made a break forward was the final straw for me.

• Advertisement

An Citeog wrote: »
    He's just one of those players I don't like. I'm not doubting his ability or importance to the Kerry team, I just don't like his attitude and some of the cynical crap he does (and gets away with) on the pitch. The cynical rugby tackle he made on Paul Casey this year as he made a break forward was the final straw for me.

Can see where you are coming from. I have similar reservations about Dooher in particular and others alike while not doubting their performance absolutely cant abide him.
    On Galvin, yes he is niggly and still rougish but has cleaned up his act to an extent. He's North Kerry anyway so hes bound to be rough! :D

Advertisement