Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Day or St. Stephen's Day?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Boxing Day my good man!
    St. Stephen's Day. Its what my parents called it and it seems to have stuck in my head.

Not bothered about others referring to it as Boxing Day, might be a tad concerned when we start calling the 4th July - "Independence Day" though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Boxing Day my good man!
    I kinda think we're missing the point here, you can call it Fred if you want but the fact remains the official holiday in this country is called St. Stephen's Day. What they call it in another country if they so happen to have a holiday on that day is irrelevant. We're all very familiar with the term Boxing Day as it's always mentioned on the British TV channels which most of us have but different holiday (apart from the drinking and eating :)), different country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Interchangable
    It's Boxing day in Donegal and that's the way it is but then we had BBC tv before RTE.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Boxing Day my good man!
    St.Stephens Day. 'Boxing Day' is really only an English term is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Boxing Day my good man!
    vektarman wrote: »
    Not quite correct for Hilly Billy I'm afraid, he left the full stop out after St.
    An.idiosyncracy.I'm.afraid. I.don't.do.full.stops.in.the.middle.of.sentences. But.just.for.you.I'll.make.an.exception.
    I'm.a.Rebel.with.a.Pause

Back on topic...

St Stephen was the first "Martyr". More here: http://www.byzantines.net/StStephen/StStephen.htm

• Advertisement

Meh! Atari Jaguar.
    St.Stephens Day. 'Boxing Day' is really only an English term is it not?

Not really!
    Just for the (wiki) record, who calls it what elsewhere in the world.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Interchangable
    meglome wrote: »
    I kinda think we're missing the point here, you can call it Fred if you want but the fact remains the official holiday in this country is called St. Stephen's Day. What they call it in another country if they so happen to have a holiday on that day is irrelevant. We're all very familiar with the term Boxing Day as it's always mentioned on the British TV channels which most of us have but different holiday (apart from the drinking and eating :)), different country.

meglome, logic doesn't belong in AH...Please take your common sense elsewhere please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

You're all wrong... it's "the day the pubs reopen"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

I call it st. stephens day.

Till I go visit relatives. ;)

Advertisement