Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Day or St. Stephen's Day?

Options
  • 12-11-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how most of you refer to the day after Christmas Day? As with most Irish people (I assume), I refer to it as St Stephen's Day but I do have a friend in Cork who insists on calling it Boxing Day. He's not English or anything he just calls it Boxing day...what about you?

Public poll added :)

Boxing Day or St Stephens' Day 177 votes

St Stephens Day of course!
    0%
    Boxing Day my good man!
    85%
    StephenmeglomeFunkyChickenazezilSangrenesfMossy Monkmike65StarkgurramokkaimeradazberryShamoCreaturestarman100Chad ghostaljustsomeblokevorbiswilliambRobertFoster 151 votes
    Interchangable
    9%
    _Kaiser_chumpjimmycrackcormPonsterFwaggleziggyrobinphxabidirtydressPaul TergatMarksieOverhealFratton FredwatnatimmywexbuilttospillTheB 17 votes
    Meh! Atari Jaguar.
    5%
    PropellerheadJackzPythiaTrojan911demandobsdave[Deleted User]Gran Hermanokeefg 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boxing Day my good man!
    St stephens day.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Boxing Day my good man!
    mike65 wrote: »
    St stephens day.

Mike.

That was quick! In before the poll! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Boxing Day my good man!
    St. Stephens day. boxing day sounds wrong to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Boxing Day my good man!
    St. Stephens Day for me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Interchangable
    I say boxing day, and before you all have a go at me, my dad is Welsh. I went to Wales every Christmas for as long as I remember, they don't know what St. Stephen's day is there, I got used to calling it boxing day. This girl I know used to always go on and on and on about me calling it that. She decided that because I'm a protestant (again, Welsh father) that it was a "proddy thing" and proceeded to give me a lot of ignorant abuse about it. Therefore, it's a touchy subject. Really, who cares what you call it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Boxing Day my good man!
    I don't particularly like the class connotations of boxing day... so St. Stephen's day for me please...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Boxing Day my good man!
    i was brought up calling it st. stephens' day so that'll be how i refer to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Interchangable
    I don't particularly like the class connotations of boxing day... so St. Stephen's day for me please...

Boxing day, because 35 years of calling it that is hard to change.

Not sure it is anything to get wound up about though, they are the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Stephenseseses Day.

Boxing Day my good man!
    Oh yeah, its Nov 12th.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Boxing Day my good man!
    Oh yeah, its Nov 12th.

Mike.

St Stephen's Day.

In before lock.

r3nu4l - There's a ban a-coming! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

bloody prods

Boxing Day my good man!
    Not sure it is anything to get wound up about though

Definitely not something to get wound up about but as I'm now living in England and am staying here this Christmas I get a lot of blank looks when I mention to friends that we might visit them on St Stephen's Day :)

Growing up in Ireland I always heard people on BBC and ITV referring to 'Boxing Day' and thought it was strange...I guess I'm the strange one now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Boxing Day my good man!
    watna wrote: »
    I say boxing day, and before you all have a go at me, my dad is Welsh. I went to Wales every Christmas for as long as I remember, they don't know what St. Stephen's day is there, I got used to calling it boxing day. This girl I know used to always go on and on and on about me calling it that. She decided that because I'm a protestant (again, Welsh father) that it was a "proddy thing" and proceeded to give me a lot of ignorant abuse about it. Therefore, it's a touchy subject. Really, who cares what you call it?

You may call it Boxing day... but you're the only other person in the thread to type St. Stephen's Day correctly... well done.

EDIT: Well done as too, Hilly Billy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Interchangable
    You may call it Boxing day... but you're the only other person in the thread to type St. Stephen's Day correctly... well done.

Thanks, I am also a fan of apostrophes in the correct place!

Boxing Day my good man!
    Oh yeah, its Nov 12th.

Mike.
    Hill Billy wrote:
    In before lock.

r3nu4l - There's a ban a-coming! :D

This thread won't be locked...it's not a Christmas thread in any way shape or form, this thread is about December 26th, not Christmas. It's just a day that happens to fall near to Christmas. Terry said he would lock threads about Christmas, therefore this one is safe! :D

<-<
    >->

Boxing Day my good man!

I'm like a guy with an orthopedic shoe!*

Corrected for both of you wonderful luvvies :D

*I stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Boxing Day my good man!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyfudge

Not quite correct for Hilly Billy I'm afraid, he left the full stop out after St.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Boxing Day my good man!
    I call it St. Stephen's Day. Saying Boxing Day just sounds a bit weird to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Stephenszzzzzzz Day. My most hated day of the year. A mountain of food + cupla gallons alcohol + scatter of sweets the day before= Not fun when you have to work Stephenszzz Day.

• Advertisement

Boxing Day my good man!
    Definition wiki style

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

Mike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Boxing Day my good man!
    It's St. Stephen's Day of course, because it's the Feast of St. Stephen.
    What does Boxing Day mean? It must be a cultural thing in Britain but it has no real meaning for us here - maybe it would if we knew what it's about.

I just saw the Wikipedia explanation for Boxing Day, it still means nothing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Boxing Day my good man!
    Oh yeah, its Nov 12th.

Mike.

Surely it's the 26th of Dec:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Boxing Day my good man!
    Called Boxing Day over here thanks to all the bloody Poms. Stephen's Day it is for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Boxing Day my good man!

a proddy and a grammar nazi, I'm starting to see why your friend gives you abuse:D

me, as I have the day off work don't really give a flying feck what it is called once I don't have to get out of bed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Boxing Day my good man!
    I call it the same thing me father and his father before him called it.. "Dec 26th"

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Boxing Day my good man!
    I've always called it "St. Stephens' Day"! I've always had the (probably wrong) view that only the English called it "Boxing Day". what I find amusing though, is that my EXTREMELY catholic and republican friends from the North of Ireland always call it Boxing Day. I would've thought they'd call it St. Stephens' Day like us Republic of Ireland dwellers seeing as they're so Irish. Oh well....

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

hangover day

Meh! Atari Jaguar.
    Just for the (wiki) record, who calls it what elsewhere in the world.
    Holidays and observances
    December 26 is a public holiday in most Christian countries of Protestantism tradition but is not in many Roman Catholic countries. It is not a public holiday in the United States unless Christmas Day falls on a Sunday like it did in 2005 and will again in 2011, in which it is the observed federal holiday. In Germany, the Netherlands, Poland, Suriname and Scandinavia, Christmas Day and the following day are called First and Second Christmas Day. In Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Norway, Iceland, Poland, Slovakia, and Sweden, the 26th is known as the Second day of Christmas: Stefanitag in Austria, der zweite Weihnachtsfeiertag in Germany; Δεύτερη μέρα των Χριστουγέννων in Greece; Annandag Jul in Sweden; Anden Juledag in Denmark; Antroji Kalėdų diena in Lithuania; Andre Juledag in Norway; Tweede Kerstdag in Belgium and in the Netherlands; Annar dagur jóla in Iceland; Tapaninpäivä (St. Stephen's Day) in Finland; Karácsony másnapja in Hungary; drugi dzień Świąt Bożego Narodzenia in Poland. In some of these countries it is also a public holiday. This day is also known in Spain as San Esteban, and in Italy as Santo Stefano.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

Interchangable
    I am Irish but it's Boxing Day to me.. but I read no race/religion/any other signals into it.. it's just what I grew up with ..

Advertisement