Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cockroaches... and dirty shops. WTF?!

Options
  • 12-11-2007 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

So I was reading in the paper that a certain sandwich chain has a problem with cockroaches in one of their stores.

I find this weird because Ireland doesn't really have any cockroaches.

I don't get it.

Why don't clean shops have them? How do cockroaches somehow end up in dirty shops? How do they get there? How do they know the shop is dirty?

:confused::confused:

/Actual serious question

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

dublindude wrote: »

We don't have property crashes either ;) Of course there are cockroaches in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 wotisthere

Ye a big sandwich bar group on the green in dublin. I ate in there a few times. I feel sick, wont be going back. Bring my own sambos these days.dirt and filth = vermon !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

wotisthere wrote: »
    dirt and filth = vermon !

OK but how do the cockroaches get there though.

Are they always there, but just can't breed properly due to lack of food?

Or do they smell rotting food or something and migrate towards that shop?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

In fairness anybody who buys sandwiches from one ofthese palces is taking abig risk.The ingredients are rubbish,they can easily be cross contaminated by dirty hands etc,people can sneeze and slobber all over them and anything with coleslaw or salad needs to be kept refrigerated or it'll go off very quickly.I used to work in a place that had a salad bar and it was disgusting the way the stuff was exposed to germs and fluctuations in temperature.Cockroaches are also VERY difficult to get rid of,the place is probably infested with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Cockroaches probably first turned up in Ireland in the 17th century. It is believed that they were brought in on ships carrying cargos from the far east. It was around the latter part of this century that tea drinking began to become popular, along with china wear... which originally, as the name suggests... came from china. The genus of cockroach here is an Asiatic one. There were a number of archaeological excavations in the Coomb/Cork Street area of Dublin in recent years where the shell remains of cockroaches were found dating from this period.

The explosion in numbers of cockroaches though, according to environmental archaeologists and enthomologists, occurred in the first decades of the 19th century. I hope this helps the debate!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You seem to know an awful lot about cockroaches. A little too much. Quick! Someone turn on the lights and see if he runs away. I'll get my giant slipper...

humanji wrote: »
    You seem to know an awful lot about cockroaches. A little too much. Quick! Someone turn on the lights and see if he runs away. I'll get my giant slipper...

Worse... I know too much about environmental archaeology... don't get me started on latrine pits!! :p

By the way, does anyone actually know if 'roaches spread germs? I wonder if the are just getting bad press because they look so ugly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

dublindude wrote: »
    So I was reading in the paper that a certain sandwich chain has a problem with cockroaches in one of their stores.

I don't get it.

Why don't clean shops have them? How do cockroaches somehow end up in dirty shops? How do they get there? How do they know the shop is dirty?

:confused::confused:

/Actual serious question
    Which place is it? Why the secrecy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Environmental Health Officers employed ,wait for it by I believe by the HSE are supposed to inspect all food premises on occasion to make sure premises are fit for food prep and sale etc. This is Ireland ,it does not happen a lot in practice ,so businesses can do as they like . eat out at your own risk.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I have never seen a cockroach in Ireland.

However, extermination's too good for them. It's like a holiday camp for them scumbags. It's the bleeding heart liberals at Rentokil who I blame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

insects like cockroaches are having a huge resurgence all over the developed world, primarily because of the ease of travel these days and unwitting travelers bringing them back with them.

cockroaches are cool though. they can survive for up to 9 days after being decapitated. also they were the only creature able to survive the nuclear blasts in Japan apparently. if there ever is a nuclear holocaust only cockroaches and Keith Richards will survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

They just drive around town in their little van and when they get a call that there's a dirty place with plenty of food for them, they step on it (pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Which one? If the news paper printed it just quote the news paper, or even a link!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

humbert wrote: »
    Which one? If the news paper printed it just quote the news paper, or even a link!

Yeah, name and shame ffs :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

A quick search on google will tell you which one

"sandwich chain dublin cockroach" into google and there ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

danke viel :) Thankfully I've never eaten there. Hate cockroaches, nasty, nasty looking insects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Like most insects, spiders and ants, cockroaches use chemical trails for ground navigation. So when a couple find some dirty des res somewhere (usually under appliances or near water/waste in/outlets) some more will follow that trail, then more again when they sense all the trails...as long as there's food, no predator and no attempt to cull them, they'll hang about and start breeding.
    Cockroaches can also fly (not sure if both sexes can) , meaning they aren't restricted to scuttling distance. Presumably since they have collective/hive intelligence, they probably also use some form of scouting system to find food sources for the masses.
    Cockroach lairs are just like restaurants; it's all about location, location, location...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

For some reason I want to go there and see a cockroach in my sandwich. Just so I can slam the sandwich down on the counter and say "What THE F*CK is this?!"

not exactly the same complaint (not enough cheese in the cheese sandwiches)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

boneless wrote: »
    Cockroaches probably first turned up in Ireland in the 17th century. It is believed that they were brought in on ships carrying cargos from the far east. It was around the latter part of this century that tea drinking began to become popular, along with china wear... which originally, as the name suggests... came from china. The genus of cockroach here is an Asiatic one. There were a number of archaeological excavations in the Coomb/Cork Street area of Dublin in recent years where the shell remains of cockroaches were found dating from this period.

The explosion in numbers of cockroaches though, according to environmental archaeologists and enthomologists, occurred in the first decades of the 19th century. I hope this helps the debate!!

Ah! Amybe you can tell me if it's true or a myth about standing on a female and all her eggs squirting out and hatching? I was going to do my own myth busting on it, but couldn't find any cockroaches to do it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I used to work in said shopping centre on the same floor and side as that branch is. There is no reason for them to have had any kind of dirt problem as the centre provides waste disposal so there should never have been any bags of rubbish lying around. If memory serves me right there is a coridor which runs behind all the shops there maybe thats where they got in from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

DonJose wrote: »
    We don't have property crashes either ;) Of course there are cockroaches in Ireland.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Perfect.

boreds wrote: »
    Ah! Amybe you can tell me if it's true or a myth about standing on a female and all her eggs squirting out and hatching? I was going to do my own myth busting on it, but couldn't find any cockroaches to do it with.

Sorry... my knowledge of cockroaches is purely from the archaeological record, as stated in a post above.

Any entomologists or sadistic wee buggers here to confirm what this poster wants?? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 DICK FINGERS

I once found a cockroach in my fridge.

He was sitting on the butter

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Poppy Cock wrote: »
    Which place is it? Why the secrecy?
    Do not name and shame here.

If someone wants to link to the newspaper article, that's fine.

Do not name the place here without proof though.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Article here in SBP confirming O'Briens are taking legal action against this franchisee
    in St Stephen's Green Centre.

O’Briens sues franchisee after cockroaches found at outlet
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 - By Ian Kehoe and Dick O’Brien
    O’Briens, the sandwich chain run by Brody Sweeney, is taking legal action against one of its franchisees after its outlet became infested with cockroaches.

O’Briens has obtained a High Court order preventing businessman Mark Smartt from using the O’Briens name and branding at his sandwich outlet on the first floor of the St Stephen’s Green shopping centre in Dublin. Smartt is also the joint operator of the basement cafe at the Brown Thomas store on Grafton Street in Dublin. He previously ran the cafe at Habitat in Dublin.
    The shop in question is on the first floor of the shopping centre and has no connection with a separate O’Briens franchise on the ground floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Not so Smartt now.........:D

Not a case of one being smart but rather believing it's best if people are
    aware of outlets that are health risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

The amount of tuna melts I spent having in there is unreal...I actually feel sick thinking about it. Pity, I loved the seat overlooking the people waking by on the top... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

A place does not have to be dirty to get cockroaches.They can be in imported foodstuffs such as rice and other products and can emerge with right conditions heat , candlelight etc and infest a place

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    A place does not have to be dirty to get cockroaches.They can be in imported foodstuffs such as rice and other products and can emerge with right conditions heat , candlelight etc and infest a place

And surely it is the food outlet's responsibility to contact pest control and
    take all necessary steps to stop the infestation immediately?

Advertisement