Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a 'Republican'?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

JohnnyStones, your sig makes me feel special...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭KlondikePaddy

It isn't really an issue whether whether a person is a republican or not-under the EU we as a nation can't even fart without Brussels permission-thata fact. So Hans, Jurgen, Francois and their EU mates are running the North!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

Dudess wrote: »
    JohnnyStones, your sig makes me feel special...

Your NOT
    but you really do think you are:mad::mad:

It's "you're not".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It's "you're not".

Defo a Provo/Nazi here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's "you're not".

You lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

It's "you're not".

If you're gonna start correcting JonathanStones for poor grammer and dodgy punctuation - you'll end up like King Canute (probably spelt that one wrong but what the heck...)-And as regards it being unusual for one part of an island to be governed seperately by another power, methinks a geography lesson may be in order - Republicanism - pah, causes/ideologies always end up confusing you and driving you to despair

KIVES wrote: »
    If you're gonna start correcting JonathanStones for poor grammer and dodgy punctuation - you'll end up like King Canute (probably spelt that one wrong but what the heck...)
    Ah I only did that because of him having a go at me.
    And as regards it being unusual for one part of an island to be governed seperately by another power, methinks a geography lesson may be in order - Republicanism - pah, causes/ideologies always end up confusing you and driving you to despair
    Not unusual, but unjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Your NOT
    but you really do think you are:mad::mad:
    You might want to change that sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

People in Ireland associate being a Republican with being a shinner and only concerned about irish unity and I think it's unfair to people who believe in the traditional ideals of a Republic where every citizen is equal and freedom is cherished through the practice of democratic rights, the French national motto is the best way to describe the Republicanism I believe in "Liberty, equality, fraternity".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I would be a lean towards being a "republican". Also we live in the Irish Republic not Éire, Republic of Ireland, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

Yes I am, the older I get the more closely I align with the concept and more grateful I am for those who fought for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I would be a lean towards being a "republican". Also we live in the Irish Republic not Éire, Republic of Ireland, etc...

Wtf?
    What's wrong with Republic of Ireland?
    Republic of Ireland is wrong but Irish Republic is correct?:confused:

And you do know of course that Irish is the first offical language of the state and:
    The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.
    Article 4 of the constitution
    Source:http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/index.asp?docID=243

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

There are worse places to live in the world, so I'm glad I live here.

But why feel proud of something that really has little to do with you? You could just as easily have been born in a different country and would be expected to show pride in it. Its just a system of government on a random piece of earth-nothing to get worked up about.

Its pure chance that I live in a society that treats me decently. The Netherlands is a Monarchy and I can't see how being born into a similiar social class and background there, would result in me being any differrent (other than, say, paying extra taxes for the Royal family, which may be a bit more than the family we elect into the Phoneix Park every few years.;))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

darkman2 wrote: »
    Thought id ask this question. I will start by saying that if you are not a 'Republican' then you dont believe in Ireland (or the Republic of Ireland) being an independent nation state (how could you? You're either a Republican or your not). I ask because of the bad press 'Republicanism' has attracted over the years because of IRA violence. I am proud to live in a Republic and to be a Republican and Nationalist. I dont believe Sinn Fein or the IRA have ever had a monopoly on the term and never will. Many say they are not 'Republican' because of the bad name associated with it. But if you're not - then what are you? (someone who believes Ireland's future is best served within the UK?). Of course not. There is no other term to describe those who believe in the democratic, non monarchy, independent country. Thats what we have. So would you label yourself a 'Republican'? Or do you want to, but feel you can not, because of its association with violence? If so what do you call yourself?

living in a republic, i am going to assume youre already a republican, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

Lump wrote: »
    I don't what a verb is,

think thats bad? i still dont know what a tracker mortgage is

living in a republic, i am going to assume youre already a republican, no?
    Does that make you a monarchist?

think thats bad? i still dont know what a tracker mortgage is
    I think you're in the wrong thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I don't know what to call myself tbh. I don't beleive in a united Ireland and personally I couldn't care less if the Dail or Crown govern it as long as I get to live in my 1st world country. The north is fine as is, we dont' need the crap that would come with bringing it back to Ireland and the people are better off imo.

These feeling stems from the face I have little confidence in Irelands current leadership of old men who clearly have nothing but vested interests and personal gain in their minds. Also, this united Ireland malarke has to stop, were all part of Europe and I hope it will become more centralised and less indepandant over time.

So, pro Europe con Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm a royalist that believes England should be freed from the Scottish ruling class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Would that not be a German ruling class?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Terry wrote: »
    Does that make you a monarchist?

im not entirely sure what the country i live in is.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Republican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Yes and I will vote Sinn Féin too.

So the people in Sinn Féin are scumbags today but the lads back in the 20s weren't? I don't see the difference expect the way they are looked on by the majority of people in this country.

I'm sure they're was a few knackers back then but strong leaders like Adams and Collins in the 20s have/had to do whatever was needed to keep the whole thing together.

I don't agree with what Gerry Adams does regarding the scumbags that killed Jerry Mc Cabe but he is in a tight spot keeping all the elements of the party happy. I think Adams, Mc Guinness and a lot of the party members high up have good intentions and that's the type of person I vote for.

Think what we have to do now is convince the Unionists that the fact that they are Irish too and then we can have a 32 county state.

Hopefully then we could start addressing the issue of language and culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

It's easy for a lot of people to say that they want a United Ireland and that it's the way Ireland should be. Well I work in Northern Ireland and I live in the South and i can assure you all that there will be no 32 county Ireland for a long time beacuse a lot of people up here still do not want it. So whether it's right or wrong it's not going to happen without another war, which may or may not even solve it. People here (mid-ulster) don't really care much about what goes on in the South, even the Nationalists. I would be reasonably happy if the people of Northern Ireland concentrated on reducing the segregation that is still a major problem up here. Protestants rarely play Gaelic football (and generally aren't welcome), a lot of Catholics don't play Soccer because they see it as an English sport. It still wouldn't be advisable for a Southerner like me to go to a match in Windsor Park. These things would need to be ancient history before any thoughts of a United Ireland could be entertained.
    Another reason it wouldn't happen is that all the smugglers in the border areas would be out of business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Jackz wrote: »
    Would that not be a German ruling class?

I was thinking of the Scots in Westminster, not the Germans in Buckingham Palace.

Damn those foreigners running my country, 950 years of oppression:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

why would northern ireland become part of the republic? What's the point?

im not entirely sure what the country i live in is.
    The reigning British monarch is head of state, so it's sort of a monarchy.

Ahh, screw it.
    I don't know what I'm talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Think what we have to do now is convince the Unionists that the fact that they are Irish too and then we can have a 32 county state.

Hopefully then we could start addressing the issue of language and culture.
    Unionists already identify for the most part that they are Irish just that they would feel just a strong if not stronger identification with being British also

Advertisement