Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maeve HIggins Vicar Street

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    People who take comedy so seriously (a contradiction in terms if ever there was one!) should have their arses slashed with a rusty, blunt knife and be forced to sit on a packet of salt 'n' vinegar Tayto.

I've never seen Maeve but if this is indicative of the kind of person who finds her funny then I'm guessing she's pretty low brow.
    Maeve doing her thing + Me laughing=funny. It's a simple equation and it's not debatable. End of story.

A dog slipping on a skateboard might make you laugh, therefore it's funny, but that doesn't mean the dog is a good comedian and should be booked for comedy clubs. If you are not willing or able to engage in the debate about the worth of a comic beyond "me laugh = great comic" then why the hell are you posting? Her worth as a comic quite obviously is debatable, and it's entirely possible to analyse her material beyond a mere "I laughed" perspective.

Also I'm sure Maeve takes comedy very seriously, maybe you should let her know that she deserves to have her *shudder* (Sideshow Bob style) "arse slashed with a rusty knife".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

hotspur wrote: »
    I've never seen Maeve but if this is indicative of the kind of person who finds her funny then I'm guessing she's pretty low brow.

A dog slipping on a skateboard might make you laugh, therefore it's funny, but that doesn't mean the dog is a good comedian and should be booked for comedy clubs. If you are not willing or able to engage in the debate about the worth of a comic beyond "me laugh = great comic" then why the hell are you posting? Her worth as a comic quite obviously is debatable, and it's entirely possible to analyse her material beyond a mere "I laughed" perspective.

Also I'm sure Maeve takes comedy very seriously, maybe you should let her know that she deserves to have her *shudder* (Sideshow Bob style) "arse slashed with a rusty knife".

LOLL LOL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

hotspur wrote: »

i completely agree, well said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

well then you mustn't have seen many comedians in a good while!! :D haha

Actually I've seen plenty of comedians, good and bad and happened to find her very funny.

She has a particular style of comedy, which you may or may not like but she's not a bad comedian as such, if you don't think she's funny then you just don't enjoy that particular type of comedy whereas some do. Simple as, theres no need to be getting into this rusty knife malarky!

The night I saw her she was supporting Dave O'Doherty and she definitely gave him a run for his money, there was slightly less laughter when he came on I thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

People who take comedy so seriously (a contradiction in terms if ever there was one!) should have their arses slashed with a rusty, blunt knife and be forced to sit on a packet of salt 'n' vinegar Tayto. These people, and i'm not pointing the finger here, are tedious. Maeve is funny. That's my opinion. Maeve doing her thing + Me laughing=funny. It's a simple equation and it's not debatable. End of story. I wonder why 'some people' feel so passionately against her when there are sooooo many more absolutely brutal beyond belief(male) comedians out there. Yes, i am using this argument again because from what i've read on this forum so far, a hell of a lot of people out there believe women can't be funny and aren't funny (have a look yourself!) just because not all of us feel the need to get on stage and have our egos stroked. We're in the pubs all around the country making our friends laugh. I'm sure you're not intentionally being sexist but... People who believe this are clearly terrified of women and are incapable of making female friends so they feel the need to vilify them and put them all in the same box. Sad. My rant is over. Good day to you.

Yes, that certainly was a rant and a half...
    Again with the sexism card. I'm sure you've noticed the same people who criticise Maeve Higgins slate other comedians they don't like too, (even male ones, shock shock, horror, horror!) - russel brand... *shudder*

Of course, the reason I REALLY don't enjoy Higgins' sets is because I am in fact a 58 year old frigid who is afraid of women and still lives in his mama's basement whining about the new Transformers movie, StarTrek and will forever be a virgin. Yes, that must be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Galvasean wrote: »
    Of course, the reason I REALLY don't enjoy Higgins' sets is because I am in fact a 58 year old frigid who is afraid of women and still lives in his mama's basement whining about the new Transformers movie, StarTrek and will forever be a virgin. Yes, that must be it!

Stay away from my Bebo!!

:| wrote: »
    She has a particular style of comedy, which you may or may not like...if you don't think she's funny then you just don't enjoy that particular type of comedy...

what type of comedy would that be now, the one that doesnt make poeple laugh? no seriously describe it, because imo talkin about puttin A banana cover over your phone and hopin you dont run into a mugger with a potasium defficiency is just not funny to someone who knows anything about real stand up comedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

She does play up her ditzy/stupid side but imo that makes it even more funny as it suits her, plenty of well respected comedians do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think there's a certain over reliance on the ditzyness on her part. She just comes across as one of those comedians who spouts random jibberish, which can be fun in small doses but gets seriously annoying after a while.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    which can be fun in small doses but gets seriously annoying after a while.

im small doses i think she is still rele annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I saw Maeve for the 1st time a few nights ago on TV, on the Irish Amnesty gig and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed her; actually I thought she was excellent, and I liked her style. Maybe there's a big difference between her showcase material and her other stuff, but there's no way on that viewing that I could countenance the idea that she has no comedic talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Andystoran

Saw her twice coz the missus thinks shes funny..I thought she was terrible. Doesnt time lines well and plays the im from cork like!!! card when things are going badly. On both occassions the warm up acts were much better..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I find her absolutely painful to watch. Her set reminds me of a 6 year old telling me about her day. "And then this happened like and then this happened like and then this happened like" etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Nightwish wrote: »
    I find her absolutely painful to watch. Her set reminds me of a 6 year old telling me about her day. "And then this happened like and then this happened like and then this happened like" etc etc etc
    Qft.

She's absolutely horrific, how she got in the spotlight I'll never understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭,mnb

She's not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

any one who thinks meave higgins is in any way good - needs to get a full time carer cos they are fcuking morons - shes is truly the worst act ive seen in my life.

id rather watch water evaporate than see this abomination again .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

DaDumTish wrote: »
    any one who thinks meave higgins is in any way good - needs to get a full time carer cos they are fcuking morons - shes is truly the worst act ive seen in my life.

id rather watch water evaporate than see this abomination again .

Not all morons need carers. Although it might be a good idea. Carers could prevent morons using internet forums to launch unnecessarily agressive and juvenile personal attacks on people because they don't share their taste in comedy.

I like a wide variety of comedy, from Bill Hicks to Bill Bailey. If I don't like a comedian I don't watch their material or go to their gigs. There really is more than enough comedians around to cater for everybodys tastes. IMO Maeve Higgins is a joy to watch. Like many people I find her charming, witty, and unique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

this may help then

http://www.carersireland.com/

Enough of the thread necrophilia.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement