Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maeve HIggins Vicar Street

Options
  • 09-11-2007 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey just saw she is in Vicar Street tomorrow night.. Anyone seen her live before .. is she worth going to see ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I've seen her live plenty of times, she lives 2 doors down from me.... :)

But in fairness - do you really think she's be any good at standup?!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jackieod

I know... Really wanted to go to Ross O Carroll but sold out have friends visiting and want to go to something before hittin the hot spots !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Saw her at Electric Picnic. Not for me I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

is cause she's a wimen?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

sprinkles wrote: »
    is cause she's a wimen?

No, its because her jokes are juvenille at best. Like watching an 8 year old talk rubbish about banana phones and pick pockets with potassium defficiencies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Saw Maeve at Vicar Street tonight and she was brillant
    Far from juvenille - about time there was some good female comedians
    Didnt do an encoure though which was a bit odd but aparently accroding to my friend comedians dotn do en cours. Thought Des Bishop always did from my memory. I would recommed her show.

Some comedians do encores. I think it just depends on the night I suppose. Maybe they walk off stage and think, "Oh I forgot to mention X, Y and Z!", then go back on. Recently Ive seen Rich Hall, Jimmy Carr and Ed Byrne do encores.

Back on topic: Ive seen Maeve twice, once at my local and once at Kilkenny. Didnt think much of her either time. Bear in mind she was only doing 15-20 minute sets. So maybe she's one of those who takes a while to get into her rhythm or something. I just have yet to find any of her jokes funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

I've seen maeve in vicar street she was supporting tommy teirnan when he did loose. she was AWFUL!!! nobody laughed at her at all,it was more a case that people seemed a little embarassed for her. i know i feltsorry for her. i cant be sure but it even seemed like she left the stage earlier than she should have.... she wasn't too good on ryan tubridy a few weeks back either.

Jackieod, i was at R.O.C.K yesterday for the afternoon showing, it was really funny IMO. pity you couldnt have gotten tickets to that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I am a little bit biased because i know Maeve (but i'm still being objective...she'll never know i wrote on this board) but i went to see her in Vicar Street the other night and she was really, really funny. She has got progressively better over the years as she has found her own style and has got more much more relaxed in her own skin on stage. What you have to understand is that she is trying to make a living in the predominantly male world of comedy...how many female Irish comedians are there on the scene? People have prejudices against "funny women", even if they might not know it. She's doing a very brave and difficult thing and i for one am very proud that she is showing that, yes, females can be funny too. Everyone was in fits laughing the other night, men included and that says it all. She was completely herself on-stage whereas i met Tommy Tiernan in real life and he's a grump bastard as are many comedians out there. This girl is naturally funny...believe me! And she's just going to get better and better.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I am a little bit biased because i know Maeve (but i'm still being objective...she'll never know i wrote on this board) but i went to see her in Vicar Street the other night and she was really, really funny. She has got progressively better over the years as she has found her own style and has got more much more relaxed in her own skin on stage. What you have to understand is that she is trying to make a living in the predominantly male world of comedy...how many female Irish comedians are there on the scene? People have prejudices against "funny women", even if they might not know it. She's doing a very brave and difficult thing and i for one am very proud that she is showing that, yes, females can be funny too. Everyone was in fits laughing the other night, men included and that says it all. She was completely herself on-stage whereas i met Tommy Tiernan in real life and he's a grump bastard as are many comedians out there. This girl is naturally funny...believe me! And she's just going to get better and better.

Oh please, don't play the 'girl tryin to make it in a mans world' card. Thats no excuse for having sub standard comediennes getting hyped out of proportion. Besides, I doubt Maeve's career rests on her own merit. More to do with PJ's influence methinks. Of course women can be funny, the likes of Paula Belle, Wanda Sykes, Shappi Khorisandi (sp?) and Joan Rivers always get me in stitches.

And which Tommy Tiernan did you meet? Ive met taht guy loads of times now and he's a sound bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Galvasean wrote: »
    Oh please, don't play the 'girl tryin to make it in a mans world' card..

i agree using that as an excuse is just as bad as people saying "women arent funny", its just a rediculous excuse for her not being funny, now im not one to really over the top ridecule anyone as i know how hard it is to write material, but come ON folks! i saw maeve in kilkenny and the guy beside me fell asleep! the only people who laughed were rediculously drunk and were laughin at the thing onstage dressed like a lamp!! maeve should not be the poster girl for funny comediennes because she is not funny! i agree with galvasean, you need to look at the likes of paula bell, shappi korsanndi (sp?) wanda sykes and nina contti, now THESE are funny, they dont need the "it's a mans business" excuse, they are up there with the rest and the best of them!

Okay, fair enough, the "women aren't funny" card is pretty weak but the fact that everyone at her gig was pissing themselves laughing says something? Is comedy, like all art, not a matter of taste? Just because you don't find her funny doesn't mean she isn't funny, does it? She's been gigging for the past 4 years and was doing the Edinburgh Comedy Festival before her stint on Naked Camara. Naked Camera has given her the platform to get her comedy heard by the masses but you can't blame her for that. It's hard to make a living from comedy in Ireland and Naked Camera was her bread and butter and you have to admit, she was brilliant on it. If' you haven't seen her for a while, maybe you should. She's getting better every time i see her. Watch this space! By the way, she's lovely and desrves to do well.

By the way, she's lovely and desrves to do well.

firstly i have nothing against her as a person, im sure she is nice but being a really nice person does not mean you "deserve" to do well!
    and was doing the Edinburgh Comedy Festival before her stint on Naked Camara.

secondly: ANYONE can do edinburgh fringe, you dont need to be a big or recognised name, you can just book a venue no bother! people go to those shows coz they are in the area, she advertised "comedy and cakes"......so at least she was half truthful, there was cakes!

and you have to admit, she was brilliant on it.

she was the third funniest person on that show, (forth if you count jake as a seperate entity) oh look at me, im in a wedding dress askin randomers to marry be, how original and funny!!
    If' you haven't seen her for a while, maybe you should.

i saw her 3 months ago, i doubt she has gotten drastically better in that short period of time so i can safely say i will not be going to see her, by choice, any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

"women arent funny" ...... "it's a mans business"

I really couldn't agree more! :D

6th wrote: »
    I really couldn't agree more! :D

hahaha disgraceful misuse of the quotation feature....nicely done!! :D

Grand grand, fair enough, it's a matter of taste, "Grames Bond" (I see what you've done there...James rhymes with Grames...very good...hilarious...guffaw guffaw etc.).

She really is a dreadful comedian. I saw her last year and walked out half way through, her jokes and observations were the sort you'd expect from an illiterat 6 year old with ADD. She has no comic timing and a general lack of talent.

Grand grand, fair enough, it's a matter of taste, "Grames Bond" (I see what you've done there...James rhymes with Grames...very good...hilarious...guffaw guffaw etc.).

actually my name is graham, put an s on the end of it and it's grahams (grames!) f*ckin hell, im gettin comic advice from a maeve higgins fan.....forgive me if i choose to ignore you! i have nothing against your opinion....it's just wrong!! i 100% agree with darkos post above me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Iain

Not sure why there is so much Maeve bashing going on. Just wanted to say that I have seen her a couple of times in the International bar and at Kilkenny, and really enjoyed her show both times.

Iain wrote: »
    Not sure why there is so much Maeve bashing going on. Just wanted to say that I have seen her a couple of times in the International bar and at Kilkenny, and really enjoyed her show both times.

did you see her in kilkenny 07?! i saw her as part of a gig with colin murphy, mike wilmot and frankie boyle.....she was BRUTAL! like i said before, the guy beside me fell asleep and another one of my mates just got really angry!

• Advertisement

did you see her in kilkenny 07?! i saw her as part of a gig with colin murphy, mike wilmot and frankie boyle.....she was BRUTAL! like i said before, the guy beside me fell asleep and another one of my mates just got really angry!

Interesting... I was at that gig (in the front row no less) and the guy next to me elbowed me! You don't suppose???? :eek:

Galvasean wrote: »
    Interesting... I was at that gig (in the front row no less) and the guy next to me elbowed me! You don't suppose???? :eek:

front row? left hand side? thats were we were, near the guy with the crazy hair?!?!

front row? left hand side? thats were we were, near the guy with the crazy hair?!?!

That was the guy who elbowed me!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

I saw her recently and thought she was excellent, funniest comedian I've seen in a good while.

:| wrote: »
    I saw her recently and thought she was excellent, funniest comedian I've seen in a good while.

well then you mustn't have seen many comedians in a good while!! :D haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

well then you mustn't have seen many comedians in a good while!! :D haha

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

She's very bad. Very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I'm a fan, I think she's great.

People who take comedy so seriously (a contradiction in terms if ever there was one!) should have their arses slashed with a rusty, blunt knife and be forced to sit on a packet of salt 'n' vinegar Tayto. These people, and i'm not pointing the finger here, are tedious. Maeve is funny. That's my opinion. Maeve doing her thing + Me laughing=funny. It's a simple equation and it's not debatable. End of story. I wonder why 'some people' feel so passionately against her when there are sooooo many more absolutely brutal beyond belief(male) comedians out there. Yes, i am using this argument again because from what i've read on this forum so far, a hell of a lot of people out there believe women can't be funny and aren't funny (have a look yourself!) just because not all of us feel the need to get on stage and have our egos stroked. We're in the pubs all around the country making our friends laugh. I'm sure you're not intentionally being sexist but... People who believe this are clearly terrified of women and are incapable of making female friends so they feel the need to vilify them and put them all in the same box. Sad. My rant is over. Good day to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i saw her once & found her boring, couldnt really wait for her to finish. to be fair it was about a year ago, but i wouldnt be in any hurry to see her again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement