Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Networking Sites - Do you?

Options
  • 09-11-2007 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Facebook, Bebo, High 5, MySpace and probably lots more.
    I missed out on these during my college years. Only in the past year did a cousin try and get me onto Facebook. I sign up, but rarely look at it. I just don't see the appeal for me, and never did. However, looking at his site (and his other mates), it's full of bell and whistles... games, applications and looks like they do feck all work and just make their pages more and more full of useless junk.
    Ok, I see some advantages... keeping in touch, sharing photos, but I do that all via email and just have never seen the real attraction to such sites.

So, do you regularly use them, and how many are you on?
    Did you start off on one, and then progress onto another?
    I'm guessing a huge percentage here do and I'm actually in a minority not being on one. I guess my age is probably a factor (late 20s).
    Just wondering if there's other people like me that just don't see the 'need'. Or are there 'late comers' out there in who've only taken to them recently?

Social Network Sites - Do you? 100 votes

On more than one, and check daily / regularly
    0% 0 votes
    Just got one and check daily / regularly
    24% 24 votes
    On more than one, check now and again
    17% 17 votes
    Just got one and check now and again
    15% 15 votes
    Signed up, but never use it
    13% 13 votes
    Never use them... couldn't be bothered
    10% 10 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    21% 21 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I signed up to bebo about a year ago but I never use it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Just on the one myself, Bebo, I use it to keep in touch with college mates, share pics etc, the only 'friends' I have on there are people I actually know in real life I'm not one of these people who accept invites from random people who want to be my 'friend' so I can have a bigger friends list and more views, nor do I send invites to random people :rolleyes:

I dont buy into it too much, just a site to see what antics my mates are up to really and express a little about myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i'm on bebo and facebook... log in whenever my emails tell me i've got a message or someone adding me... which is probably no more than once a month these days...

they were very handy when i was traveling over the summer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I was loathe to use them at first, but Bebo and Facebook have been handy for keeping in touch with friends who are overseas.

I also like to troll on bebo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Starmix

I've got a Facebook account, and it is a bit of fun, most of my "friends" on it are people & family I see every other day or so, but it's still good to get a new message on your wall (getting with the lingo) I have some friends on it that I met in Australia etc but I lost touch with and had no address for them, so that aspect is good, to get back in touch.

I went travelling to Australia back in 2001 / 2002 and I wish there was something back then like this to keep in touch, the most advanced thing we had was the new Hotmail. The idea of logging into a remote e-mail address was incredible!

I am also not one of these people who add random friends cause they are from the furthest end of Chile and have the same name as me!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I check Bebo fairly regularly... great way to keep in contact.

Im on Facebook too, but dont check it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I use Facebook quite a lot and have managed to get back in touch with people I haven't seen in 10 years since my undergrad days. It's been very useful for getting new business too.

I also use LinkedIn, a more professional networking site. It's boring but good for business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i'm on bebo and myspace, myspace has gone to ****e, so i rarely use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

There's a boards.ie group on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

Bebo and facebook....both pages are private (no desire to meet randomers through the internet :rolleyes:).
    Caught up with a few ppl I knew years ago, but mostly it's just me and my (real life) friends takin the p1ss out of each other n sharing photo's n stuff....beats workin anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I'm on Bebo though I very rarely use it any more.

Same with Myspace, I used to have a really well designed page there but a few months ago I deleted all the codes and pictures and stuff coz I was just sick of it and it had gotten really sh!t!

Have a Facebook account also but the only time I ever log into that is when I get an e-mail telling me somebody has added me as a friend!

Think that's about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

I met my current missus on Bebo. Although I will say that you can come across some distrubing exercises in self gratification on Bebo. But its good for keeping in contact with friends (Its how I keep in touch with my friends from school)

But yeah, teh interweb iz kool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Never use them... couldn't be bothered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I'm on Bebo and it's great for keeping in touch with relations abroad and former college mates! I use it every day,.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm on Facebook, only cause its the only way of keeping in touch with certain people. Its a bit stupid in ways (poking, applications etc) but it is handy for keeping up with people's lives. The privacy settings are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

member of myspace because i wanted to help out a mates band and give him friends, then got in touch with other friends... but now all it does is sit there and spam my email with "some band wants to be your friend" crap.

member of facebook because a friend added me, have yet to login since joining.

member of bebo. use this a few times a week to keep in touch with people i don't get to anymore, plus a few boardsies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I use them alot and im on Bebo, Facebook, MySpace, Nimble, Tagged, WAYN, Yahoo! 360° and a few more but I only use the 1st 3 though.

But in saying that everyone I know is on one of the 1st 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭daniel3982

Im on myspace, facebook and bebo though hardly use the former these days, facebook is great for my english friends and bebo for my irish friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

None. Never so much as seen a bebo or facebook page and the only time I'm on myspace is to rip off someone's flash mp3s...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Facebook ftw.

Cant' stand myspace, not a bebo fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

bebo rarley check it..... don't see the point really if I want to keep in touch i'll ring ya or talk over msn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I am on Linked-in which is boring professional thing that someone added me to. Not on Bebo nor Facebook nor myspace.

What about boards.ie? Could that be counted as a social network? Like it does have that Social.ie thing on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I hate them. About 2yrs ago I was made get a Bebo account, it wasn't long before I deleted it.
    All a pile of steaming horse ****

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Just Myspace.

It's not for my business, but I've gotten a few jobs out of it, and made a few friends from it.

Don't much like anything else.

I guess Flickr.com has a social networking side to it too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

What about boards.ie? Could that be counted as a social network? Like it does have that Social.ie thing on it....

Boards is an old-skool bulletin board and isn't designed as a social networking tool in the same way that Facebook, Myspace, Flickr etc are. All these are part of a new interlinked, social networking way of using the internet called Web 2.0. Although boards is going a bit in that direction (e.g. with RSS feeds, youtube clip embedding) I reckon social.ie will be aimed squarely at fitting in the Web 2.0 bracket. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Although I like the way boards is just aimed towards talking, plain and simple. None of this friend-whoring, poke war crap.

I check Bebo every day... great way to keep in contact.

Im on Facebook too, but dont check it all the time same with myspace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

I'm signed up to loads of them but I really only use Bebo and forums etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead and Miss Piggy started up facebook accounts about a year ago. After 6 months she had about 40 something friends and Pighead had 2(including her). Obviously this was a huge blow to Pigheads ego so since about May of this year Pighead has stopped using Facebook and has declared the whole social networking scene pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Pighead wrote: »
    Pighead and Miss Piggy started up facebook accounts about a year ago. After 6 months she had about 40 something friends and Pighead had 2(including her). Obviously this was a huge blow to Pigheads ego so since about May of this year Pighead has stopped using Facebook and has declared the whole social networking scene pants.

Sounds vaguely similar to my Facebook experience, except i have about 10 friends and i still have trouble with navigating the site. Have a habit of posting replies on my own msg board somehow.
    Just a sign that i'm not cut out for social networking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Just signed up with Facebook recently, to see pics of a mate's party I was at.

Already come across a few people from college I used to know well but lost touch with years ago when they moved abroad.

Definitely handy for keeping in touch with people abroad.

I can see how people can get sucked into these things, it got a lot more going for it than I though, although there's a lot of crap apps on it too.

Again, I'd only add people I (or the gf) know as friends. Can't see it taking over my life. (Unless she gets more friends than me, which I can't allow to happen).

Advertisement