Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toys 4 Big Boys, would you be bothered?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pablot

im inclined to agree with the rest of you. I went today and i unfortunately did pay the 12 euro booking fee to get in. I kind of thought, for 12/16 euro, it should be all about you experiencing gadgets and "toys" ie hands on (especially considering that the stallls were probably paying heftily to be there too) but there was an almost entirely commercial feel to the thing except for a few dedicated stalls ie. xbox360. most people was trying to push something on you to buy or charging ridiculous money for chips and a burger.

funny thing was... when i was leaving there was a girl at the door doing surveys about it and she had just asked a guy his opinion, he said it was way too expensive for a family day out. hadnt really thought of the place as family friendly up to then considering the crowds and the semi naked girls and gun displays but hey, welcome to the 21st century

verdict: not going back next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

Firstly, this is my first post, so hello one & all!

I went once before, and Toys 4 Big Boys is the biggest load of **** ever, IMO: all gimmicky cheap tacky crap (like these: http://www.reposechair.com/products.html woooooow, it massages you & has a sub woofer in the base!), or else it's just full of large HD LCD setups w/ 5.1 & a PS3; which never fails to wow the suckers, so they'll spend over the odds on a standard home cinema setup.
    I walked by there yesterday, as my wife's Portobello graduation was in the main hall, and as expected, it was just a big queue of knackers coming out the door waiting to get in, and more knackers who were leaving with some cheap looking plastic radio controlled car or helicopter.

I don't understand why you have to pay in somewhere, for the opportunity to buy stuff! If Superquinn tried to charge me €5 admission so I could buy my groceries, I'd tell them to feck off. I guess as long as there's suckers, Toyz 4 Big Boyaz will continue to thrive!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Got free tickets to it and as it's only down the road from me, I went on Friday. It was ****.

At the very least I expected a load of page 3 girl types leaning up against fast cars. They had the cars, but most of the models were munters (save 2, who were hotties if not page 3 standard). Disappointing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Glad to see I wasnt the only person who figured it was going to be crap again this year ! By the sounds of it as long as there is a production line of skangers this exhibition will continue to do well.

The entrance fee to sell you tack sums it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

How did everyone get free tickets? Around 50% of the people on this thread that went didnt pay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

They give away FREE tickets for Friday night only during the Ideal Homes exhibition in the RDS.
    Nobody in their right mind would pay that kind of money to go especially at the weekend.
    Can't figure out how they are allowed to sell air guns though?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Can't figure out how they are allowed to sell air guns though?

They're not airguns they're airSOFT guns. And they're perfectly legal if they're under 1 joule of power.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055003480

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

A lot of free tickets going around. Does anyone actually pay into this event?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

Apparently, Scientologists had a stand. Why? When I think toys 4 big boys, I don't think organised religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They probably threatened to sue if they weren't given a stand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I was there two years ago exhibiting with Creative and I was there this weekend exhibiting with Linksys. It was crap two years ago and it was crap again this year. Had I paid to get in I would have been furious with myself. While there are some good stands the majority of it is rubbish really and it's not a very well organised event.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

went today with the bf, neither of us had been before & i got him tickets cause i thought hed like it, except it wasnt at all what we thought it would be (glad i paid 12.80 online & not 16 but still!)

the part in the back with the cars was alright, he enjoyed drooling over them & had a go at the racing game thing where u sit in the car. but that was about it. i expected it to be more exhibitiony (eg. more like the back bit with stuff to see) than just a bunch of stalls trying to sell stuff. the place was absolutely packed, had to fight to move anywhere. & there was way too many people with buggys to trip over. ideal sunday afternoon for a 1 yr old..

wish id seen this thread before i wasted my money :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pbug21

Went yesterday. Very average. Some really cool stuff, but do they expect normal people to buy all that. Was like a home expo for a premiership footballer. Wasnt enough interactive stuff to take part in, or freebies. I did score 1200 points with one of my penalties on the virtual soccer yoke. Hit the post with last one -spoilt it for me. To many people there too, really annoying especially the buggy's. Highlight for me was either the human beatbox, the miss bebo show, or the arse on the bird in the middle of the stunt motorbike ring. Had to be tall like me to see it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Fuseman

Yeah was very poor this year. Was at it two years ago and I thought it may have got better. I saw the bird in the Motorbike ring !! Very nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Any body know what the name of the teeth whitening crowd were, the girlfrien NOW wants to get some of it, buying it there yesterday was too easy id say!!!
    Cheers. Vinnie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Rant about replica firearms @ the toys4boys thing on Joe Duffy now if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Wertz wrote: »
    Rant about replica firearms @ the toys4boys thing on Joe Duffy now if anyone's interested.

Damn I can't hear this, do RTE have it online anywhere?

Pretty sure you can listen live online at the RTÉ news site and you can defo listen again after the show ends...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

discussion over here too. i think most of the guys involved in the airsoft community expected this to happen at some stage... can't hear the discussion on the air but hopefully some voice of reason jumps in

discussion over here too. i think most of the guys involved in the airsoft community expected this to happen at some stage... can't hear the discussion on the air but hopefully some voice of reason jumps in

Jaysus after reading that other thread you would swear their world was about to end :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Sizzler wrote: »
    Jaysus after reading that other thread you would swear their world was about to end :eek:

if your major hobby or interest was attacked in such a way you'd feel the same in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sizzler wrote: »
    Well I dont think anyone's about to kill themselves over it, but if the guns are made illegal, then the sport ends, and that would suck for those who take part in it (also if you've spent hundreds on equipment).

tis all

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I went to it last year and was a fairly disappointed. I work at allot of shows like the ideal homes and the bigger ones over in Birmingham so I've more or less had my fill of these kind of things but the overall quality of the show was poor.

The only good thing that came out of going to it was finding airsoft.

Nearly everything at the show was ridiculously expensive too. How anyone that has the Internet and a credit card could buy any of the overpriced junk on sale there I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Playing Halo 3 on the 103'' Tv was good fun.

if your major hobby or interest was attacked in such a way you'd feel the same in fairness

True ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Playing Halo 3 on the 103'' Tv was good fun.
    that thing was crazy.... it's HUGE!

that tv, the (good) airsoft stuff and seeing call of duty 4 on the xbox 360 (which made me want to buy an xbox) is all i found good at t4bb this year, and i couldnt have missed anything, i spent 5 days in a row at the venue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

had free tickets, didnt go

was there ~2-3 years ago, and it was pretty awful then (so many knackers and boyracers (why are all their cars for sale?))

Wossack wrote: »
    (why are all their cars for sale?))

It's a rudimentary form of social networking...

Advertisement