Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach urges restraint in pay talks

Options
  • 08-11-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1108/economy.html

This just about made my blood boil when I read it - cheeky f**ker takes a hefty 38k extra home per annum but urges the rest of us poor plebs who keep the wheels on the economy to show restraint!!!!!

We should have payed closer attention when Charlie warned that Bertie was far worse than him! At least Charlie tried to cover it up a bit but Bertie seems quite happy to blatently rub our noses in it........ :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

^^^ :rolleyes:

OT.. Tis quiet sickening alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What else do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I've gone from despising him, to nearly admiring him. Purely for the massive set of balls he has. That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

still wondering how they got back into power again, and even more amazed he still holds the leadership....totally outrageous after the hugh payhike he got himself, more than a years salary for the poor old country folk...nothing changes in this country, the rich get richer...yadda yadda yadda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dalfiatach wrote: »
    voted the wee crook back in again.
    Not me. I didn't vote at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

well you get's what you pay for...

sorry...

vote for...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Bertie man of the people believes he is worth his massive pay rise but the plebs may settle for less .so it is no surprise that he wants wage restraint .He has lost all credibility.Has he ever heard of lead by example .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Don't look at me, I didn't vote for him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Bertie man of the people believes he is worth his massive pay rise but the plebs may settle for less .so it is no surprise that he wants wage restraint .He has lost all credibility.Has he ever heard of lead by example .

frankly the man doesn't care. he wont be up for re-election again and his pension is tied to his overall wage so...

don't blame an opportunist for being an opportunist. blame the absolute morons who listen to and believe him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Keth_tgi

I for one did not vote for FF, but what really annoys me are the spineless so and so's who did vote FF, then have the audicity to complain about them when we're suddenly in the sh_t.

Stand by your man you 40% of the nation who are destroying us every 5 years.

Me... I am annoyed but sleep easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Anyone who voted FF should line up in an orderly fashion
    so the rest of us can punch them in the snot.

Bertie appears to have developed a love of money as yesterday he was on again about Consultants earn more than him.What qualifications has he got compared to a consultant .When did he last save a life .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Keth_tgi wrote: »
    I for one did not vote for FF, but what really annoys me are the spineless so and so's who did vote FF, then have the audicity to complain about them when we're suddenly in the sh_t.

Stand by your man you 40% of the nation who are destroying us every 5 years.

Me... I am annoyed but sleep easy.

I agree. If you tolerate that sort of behaviour for any reason they're only going to see it as a licence to continue in the same vain. When I hear people defending FF I feel like vomiting in their faces.

No matter what happens between elections people will again vote FF or FG .Its like you stick with your bank no matter how much they shaft you.

frankly the man doesn't care. he wont be up for re-election again and his pension is tied to his overall wage so...

don't blame an opportunist for being an opportunist. blame the absolute morons who listen to and believe him.

hey, I agree, and well said/spotted. the guy is an opportunist and to an extent you have to admire him in a crude almost masochistic way. What worries me is that the Irish have a very very short memory, and how soon before Darth Dempsey, Darth Martin, or heaven's forbid Darth Hanafin get a taste for blood when Emperor Bertie passes on.

ahh... the days of the old republic are long gone.... 'withered from within they have'.

...did I mention Jabba the Harney?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

:rolleyes:

By not voting, you enabled his victory. You are responsible - to a lesser degree than those who actively voted FF perhaps, but responsible nonetheless.

Slightly off topic but I didnt vote either but not by choice. I was one of the _many_ ppl who mysteriously fell off the register. My dad, who has been in the same house for over 35 years also was taken off the register but they left my mother on it...... That's at least 2 ppl who would have voted other than FF......coincidence that we were taken off the register????

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

By not voting, you enabled his victory. You are responsible - to a lesser degree than those who actively voted FF perhaps, but responsible nonetheless.

Tis simple maths. If all the people who didn't vote had voted, and voted for the Opposition, then Bertie and all his freak-show of incompetent goons would be but an unpleasant memory. By vacating the field you let the muppets win.

I see your point but consider this, no politician of any party or persuasion in the Dail turned down the payrise. None of them. It wouldn't have made any difference who he would have voted for, a greedy politician would still have gotten in.

(And yes, I did vote.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭slinky

Unshelved wrote: »
    I see your point but consider this, no politician of any party or persuasion in the Dail turned down the payrise. None of them. It wouldn't have made any difference who he would have voted for, a greedy politician would still have gotten in.

(And yes, I did vote.)

Not entirely true: I believe Joe Higgins gave his TD salary to his party and was paid the average industrial wage in return (he was voted out so greed must be the new black:D) and possibly Sinn Fein TDs do so also, not sure about Labour. The fact that Bertie is the highest paid leader in the world is ridiculous and cannot be justified especially at a time when he's calling for pay restraint for Joe Soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

The thing I thought was hilarious was that his supporters were using the Celtic Tiger's successes as a justification for Bertie's big pay rise, as if every extra job, extra company started and all the extra income that was created in the past ten years was all personally created by Bertie, rather than by people starting businesses, through employees hard work and through foreign multinationals.

Yet yesterday when he comes under pressure over the health service he says he can't be held responsible for every one of the 120,000 people that work in the health service.

So what he is saying is when through the work of over 2 million workers the economy booms that is down to him and he deserves credit(for what others do) and a hefty pay rise, but when there's a problem, sorry nothing to do with me, I'm not accountable for what others do ! Unbelievable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm sure the SF'rs have their retirement money well in hand after the bank job a few years ago...

Nicki123 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I didnt vote either but not by choice. I was one of the _many_ ppl who mysteriously fell off the register. My dad, who has been in the same house for over 35 years also was taken off the register but they left my mother on it...... That's at least 2 ppl who would have voted other than FF......coincidence that we were taken off the register????

Nicki123... deliberately takne off the reg... thats too scary a thought... we're not there yet. Same happened to a friend of mine... hopefully just a mess up.... still perhaps better to be cynical than naive.

is it just me, or does Bertie actually winge when he comes under pressure? My dad does the same.... comes with old age.

Thing is we should build a big huge mammogram machine to see if Bertie really is the cancer killing this country, but I for one think that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

:rolleyes:

loadahmebollix. :)

Until we are given some decent options, or they put a 'none of the above' option on the poll, I won't be voting.

It's like been told to vote between a kick in the head and a kick in the balls.

Erm, no I'll abstain from the voting thanks, SURPRISE ME!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I see your point but consider this, no politician of any party or persuasion in the Dail turned down the payrise. None of them.
    Actually, two people voted against their pay rise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

I don't expect anything else from Bertie and FF TBH.
    Amazes me how people keep falling for it.

But more depressing is the silent partners Gormless Gormley and the Greens suddenly losing their backbone since entering government.

Haven't heard any criticism from them about FF's shenanigans since they went into power and when they were in opposition you couldn't hold them back.

It's all just a power game.
    Admittedly though FG couldn't possibly be worse than FF i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

It's an important point this - the latest payrise was only for office holders, not ordinary TDs. Just the Cabinet and a couple of others, basically. And the Dáil never got to have a vote on it, IIRC. It "just happened" because some "independent review body" decided Bertie and the lads should get an extra €38K a year each.

And John Bruton's FG/Lab/DL government actually did turn down pay increases and refused to take them, back in 1994 or 95.

"All politicians are just as corrupt as us so you may as well just vote for us anyway" is one of those lines FF want you to believe.

I fully accept the Opposition weren't exactly full of vision and ideas and plans and were a bit anonymous really. But anything is better than a smirking wee bandit gloating, taking the piss, and rubbing your face in it being in charge of the whole country. No?

Bertie is just like Charlie who advocated belt tightening as he was living it up on others money and buying £300 shirts at the time ,now Bertie gets his wad and tells others to restrain .Charlie would be proud .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

the_syco wrote: »
    Look at the massive amount of non-FF people who got shafted to see what I mean.

A bit like calling the GE for a thursday despite opposition from everyone bar FF. By doing so he excluded people from voting, a lot from the younger generation, a lot of whom (including me) have nothing but contempt for FF and Bertie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Thank god FF invested in a world class infrastructure and public transpost system during the boom years, thus using the floods of Celtic Tiger money wisely.

Oh, wait a minute......

Advertisement