Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you drink your 2 Litres of water per day?

Options
  • 07-11-2007 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently 2 litres per day is th recommended daily amount for us humans. Pighead would have to say he probably drinks about half that amount. Tried the whole 2 a day thing a couple of years back but it played havok with the old bladder.

Without fail Pighead would wake up at ungodly hours with a bladder fit for bursting. And as everyone knows the last thing you want to do is get out of your warm cozy bed to go for the wee wees. Which is why sometimes, Pighead didn't. Theres only so long a man can wallow in his own urine so eventually brought my water consumption down to 1 litre. No wee wees but mouth started getting dry and sticky. Not a good look.

Anyway, recently Pighead has upped his DWA(Daily Water Allowance) to about 1.375 litres and while the night time wee wees have so far stayed away, the early morning wee wees have started to introduce themselves. Is there a balance where you can get your DWA without having to compromise with your bladder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Mine is approx 0.25 of the daily allowance.

I'm not in good reach of a toilet all day, therefore a sudden urge to urinate would be inconvinenent

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Wasn't there a documentary on the BBC a while ago that said that this 2l a day was a bit misunderstood?

Apparently you get the majority of the 2l normally through your diet (food and drinks) and you don't need that much extra to top it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Drink when you need to drink water, i.e. as soon as you start to feel dehydrated. IMO, science can work out the exact amount everyone needs to drink each day as everyones body is different.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

stop drinking at about 7pm - simple

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

don't forget all the water in tea, and well, anything u consume really.

Plus, 2 litres is a bit vague. It should be different for like, warm temperature vs cold. Whether or not ur sweating. How fat u are.

It's all a load of b0ll0x IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i only drink something if it's caffeinated.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Eat lots of salt and your body will retain more water.

you may eventually die of a heart attack, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

irishbird wrote: »

errrrmmmmmm :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Despite the fact the pubs open until AT LEAST 11:30pm?

Don't be silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Been reading F&D

It's an often quoted 'fact' that we should all be drinking two litres of water a day. However, according to a 2002 review in the American Journal of Physiology, there seems to be little or no scientific basis for this.

The possible source of the two litres claim is a 1945 US study, which concluded that under normal circumstances most people need around two litres of fluid a day. But this can come from other suitable drinks and from food. For example, a baked potato is 70 percent water. *

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Oh yeah very simple. Apart from the fact you're not taking into consideration Pigheads penchant for cream crackers at 9pm whilst watching the 9 o'clock evening news?

Have you ever eaten crackers without water? Are you suggesting Pighead forsakes his water and lives with the dried crackers lodging in the old gullet? Frankly irishbird you don't know what you're talking about. No harm done though. Suppose you weren't to know about Pigheads evening snacking habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

If I'm working, yeah throughout the day I would. Not plain water though, usuaully with lime cordial or something, plus coffee.
    Off work at the minute and all I'm drinking is coffee, tea and diet coke and not in huge quantities. Probably a bit dehydrated.
    I wouldn't subscribe to this forcefeeding yourself a set amount daily; if you're thirsty you drink something, if you're doing something exerting then you know to replenish lost fluid. Your daily needs too would depend on your bodysize, shape and maybe your age.
    Only time I drink a lot of bottled water is with a bad hangover...

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    don't forget all the water in tea, and well, anything u consume really.

Plus, 2 litres is a bit vague. It should be different for like, warm temperature vs cold. Whether or not ur sweating. How fat u are.

It's all a load of b0ll0x IMO
    How much water do you drink a day GaNjaHaN? We all need guidelines in life. Pighead has taken 2 L as his guide. What do you use? That Username is pants by the way. You've a lot of growing up to do boy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've no idea how much water I drink, but it's quite a lot, especially when I'm in front of the computer. Cup after cup. It amazes me how little some people drink

And what about that whole "You can tell if your dehydrated by the colour of your wee wee" thing. Is that true?

Supoosedly a nice pale straw colour is perfect whilst that dark yellow colour means you're about to die of dehydration. Pighead loves when it comes out perfectly clear. Makes him feel like his body is a temple and everything is in perfect working order.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

always make sure to get my 2ltrs in. sometimes have more, which is probably dangerous...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I would drink well over 2 litres a day when I'm in Mammy's house but since I moved to Galway I drink way less. I won't drink the tap water because it tastes really weird. I do have 5 litre bottles of water in the house but it's so much trouble to pick the bottle up, open it, pour it, spill it, clean up, put the lid back on, put the bottle away.....seems like a lot of bother really.

That said, I love water, and drink it, well, like water when I'm back in Cork!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

There must be at least 2 litres of water in 8 litres of beer.

You would have thought so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

a friend of mine tried it once, only the version he heard was 8 glasses of water a day.
    He didnt know most of it is in food already, and he misread and thought it said 8 litres a day.

So for about a month ( i didnt have the heart to tell him, it was just to funny) he went around with a bottle the whole time, between class (this was years ago) he ran to the jacks to refill the bottle and piss streams of crystal clear water.

i think the most he ever got up to was 6 a day before he quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Jigsaw wrote: »
    There must be at least 2 litres of water in 8 litres of beer.

You would have thought so anyway.

In northern beer?
    I'd say it was closer to eight...
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Pighead wrote: »
    Oh yeah very simple. Apart from the fact you're not taking into consideration Pigheads penchant for cream crackers at 9pm whilst watching the 9 o'clock evening news?

Have you ever eaten crackers without water? Are you suggesting Pighead forsakes his water and lives with the dried crackers lodging in the old gullet? Frankly irishbird you don't know what you're talking about. No harm done though. Suppose you weren't to know about Pigheads evening snacking habits.

Pighead needs to harden up. I once ate a full pack of Jacobs Cream Crackers sans any water/fluids whatsoever while watching Saving Private Ryan after coming home from a night out.

That might be weird to you, but it made sense at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I'd say I drink 2+ litres of tea per day. Does that count?

Conor108 wrote: »
    I'd say I drink 2+ litres of tea per day. Does that count?
    Is your wee wee brown? If so, then no, it doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Drink 2 litres a day. Don't drink tea or coffee, I just don't like them.
    So I always have a bottle of water beside me, like how other people have coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Its approx 8 glasses- the hi-ball type. I probably drink more though. Air con and pollution make you dehydrated more. As does caffine. And alcohol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jack300

I tend to drink more than 2l a day, in fact today I must have drank closer to 6 and just now when I got up to come down to the computer i felt all woozy...maybe i should cut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

The fitness forum would be proud to have you lot...:rolleyes:

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    The fitness forum would be proud to have you lot...:rolleyes:
    The giggly spanners and crappy usage of smilies forum would also be proud to count you amongst its members.

Lose the rolly eyes smiley babes. It ain't big and it ain't clever.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

And what about that whole "You can tell if your dehydrated by the colour of your wee wee" thing. Is that true?

Supoosedly a nice pale straw colour is perfect whilst that dark yellow colour means you're about to die of dehydration. Pighead loves when it comes out perfectly clear. Makes him feel like his body is a temple and everything is in perfect working order.

Absolutely true.

If you have too much salt in your system it'll be all dark and thick as your body is trying to expell the salt. Also if you are dehydrated to even things up.

All clear doesn't mean healthy necessarily, Mr. Head, it means you have too much water in your body and your urinary system is addressing the balance. :)

God bless school biology!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

The giggly spanners and crappy usage of smilies forum would also be proud to count you amongst its members.

Lose the rolly eyes smiley babes. It ain't big and it ain't clever.

Pighead...u are a d*ck! Do you normally talk to girls like this....

I used to think you were funny, now I'm a tad upset tbh...

Advertisement