Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q+A on Import Duty+Tax [Do Not Ask How to Avoid!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

jor el wrote: »
    They are not. Play.com is based in Jersey, outside the EU and no VAT applies.

thanx for reply, just seen it on their website just after i posted

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

Hi,
    I am a company with a valid VAT number, I know from previously ordering items myself (for my own use) that when it comes through UPS they actually charge you as much as they can (they actually estimated a shipping charge to be double what it actually was when it said the real shipping charge on the box).

I'm ordering a product from HongKong, for company use and I have a VAT number, What I'm wondering is do I give the HK company a VAT number (as you would inside EU) or do I send it through and deal with UPS (which I really dont want to do as they are liars and give you false charges).

Also what charges would I still be liable to pay?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

depending on what you order, (i sometimes order fishing and outdoor gear) if you get the sender to mark it repairs, you shouldn't have to pay any import charges

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

TweekeewT wrote: »
    Apologies if this counts as asking how to avoid duty & tax, but a question presents itself. As stated on that page on Revenue.ie:

However, does anyone know what exchange rates the Revenue uses at any given point to calculate if something is over or under the limit?

Customs guy told me today that they get a montly rate

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

are you charged on second hand items? i.e. stuff from ebay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

How close to real world figures would xe.com be? It's quoting me AU$35 : €20.39. Cutting it close for the €22 cut-off point.

Edit: What would I owe in tax for €35 worth of DVDs (inc. post/package/ins).

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

ball ox wrote: »
    are you charged on second hand items? i.e. stuff from ebay

Yes, from the states anyway. Once again it depends on how it's shipped(see above). Best factor it in to yer budget anyway.

What's the import tax % on DVDs (or is it the same for all imported products)? Looking at some box sets from aussie?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Ordered a camera from the US for $999,dhl arrived this morning looking for e249. He had no bill with him and said i should have heard from customs about it, so he's comin back with the print out tomor. Its stil cheaper that what i'd buy in Ireland, but I would have rather not have paid it. Bad times:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭The Failed God

i bought something on ebay from the states. Package was shipped 12 business days ago, and delivery was ment to have been made in 3-5 days. Its a fairly bulky item so im pretty sure i will be charged customs. My question is, is it normal for customs to hold an item, as im gettin worried the item has been lost in transit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Hi all,

I bought a digital camera on ebay from the states, it was delivered this morning by An post and I paid €34.61 (Vat €29.61 + Post office clearance €5).

I bought a few things from the states and I expect to pay duty, Vat etc.

My question is why no duty was charged this time.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've never seen a duty charge on anything coming through An Post, only ever seen VAT and An Post handling charge. Maybe they aren't too bothered about it, as long as they get the VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Does anyone know what the situation with Fedex etc. charging and additional €10 (plus 21%) "admin" on top of the Duty and VAT?

They are charging for a service (paying the fees) you didn't ask for - I know this is being successfully contested with Parcelforce in UK now, but why do we have to pay this extra charge?
    When you buy something online you are given a shipping total that you agree to, but then they can simply add to it when the item arrives!?

Why aren't we given the option to pay the fees and avoid this extra charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

I am sure "avoiding" tax is perfectly legal and its only tax evasion that is illegal?? Maybe you should change the thread title;)
    Im feeling rather cheeky this evening :p

Bang on.

If I buy something in the EU I just pay the VAT rate of that country, right? There's no "balancing" of the VAT rate up to the Irish rate, or anything like that? e.g. from UK I just pay the 17.5% at the point of sale and that's it?

As the sale is to Ireland is it the done thing that the seller will charge the Irish rate and not their country's rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I just got hit with a bill from Fedex for 32 Euro on an item that cost $75 (approx 50 Euro, for the sake of argument). I think that's crazy. Although there was a shipping charge, I don't think it was included in the figures (VAT figure is given as being around 17 Euro)

What infuriates me off is that Fedex have charged a tenner, so one third of the amount is free money for them, and that after adding duty (which was a small amount admittedly), VAT and the admin fee together, VAT is charged AGAIN on this amount. It's a complete rip, really taking this p!ss!! :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Silver Serpent

Hi,

I've just purchased a component cable from the States. The total value was $50 (postage included), which is roughly 33 euro.

It was sent via USPS, so will be delivered by An Post here I presume.

Do you think I'll get away without a customs charge (as it's not too far away from the 22 euro limit), and if not, how much do you think I'd have to pay?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You should be fine. Low value items sent thru USPS tend to slip thru the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Am i mad to consider buying a $300 item (a beanbag) off a US site? reading through the posts it seems to be roughly a third of total price charged by customs so am i right in adding $100 to the total cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

25-30% would be a good guess alright, so it all depends on how much it would cost here. If it's going to work out cheaper overall, then import it if you're going to get it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 breener

Just got in Today to find a Customs bill from UPS for a Camcorder I bought in the States. Camcorder was bout E300 ($479 using 1.55 exrate) and got charged E87.07 Customs, to be paid in Cash ONLY!...

Ah well ...Ya take a risk every time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,233 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

What's the deal with ordering multiple things from the same place?
    Is the tax charged on each item separately or as the whole package?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Hi All,

I purchased a Nokia E71 on Ebay. It's coming from Singapore - arrived in Dublin this morning - awaiting clearance with Fedex in Dublin at the moment.

Purchased it for €330 - so i'm wondering if i'll get hit with Customs Duty? I contacted another guy in Ireland who purchased a phone from the same seller a month ago or so, and he didn't have to pay any customs fee - so hopefully it'll be fine.... but what do you guys think??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Cupcakes

King Mob wrote: »
    What's the deal with ordering multiple things from the same place?
    Is the tax charged on each item separately or as the whole package?
    the whole package. :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Cupcakes

Hi All,

I purchased a Nokia E71 on Ebay. It's coming from Singapore - arrived in Dublin this morning - awaiting clearance with Fedex in Dublin at the moment.

Purchased it for €330 - so i'm wondering if i'll get hit with Customs Duty? I contacted another guy in Ireland who purchased a phone from the same seller a month ago or so, and he didn't have to pay any customs fee - so hopefully it'll be fine.... but what do you guys think??
    Depends,i bought a digital camera worth over 100 euro from the US and didnt have to pay customs fee because the seller marked it as a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Dang, got a letter in the post this week off the revenue :(

I'll post up my experience with them as it happens. I've attached a scan of the letter.

The package in question is from dealextreme, and I can only imagine the undervalued the package(they always do). The total value of the package is just short of $70 USD so i'm expecting to have to pay something in the region of €20 but we'll see.

I've been buying off Dealextreme for a year now and this is the first time to be charged customs :(

You were unlucky. I got a $100 package thru this week unaffected from the USA. The revenue seem to always be targeting Hong Kong. They know there is good valued stuff coming in and they don't believe the declared values.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Bought 4 different things in the USA over last few months:
    1st parcel was €180 worth via FEDEX (no charges)
    2nd+3rd parcel was €221 worth via DHL (no charges)
    4th parcel was €270 worth via UPS (just over €70 in charges)
    VAT, Duty, + Other Charges of 13.50.
    I ended up paying VAT on the whole amount which is VAT on VAT :mad:
    does that make any sense to anybody?

Yep, it is double taxation and the sad thing is it is all legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 kentwo

Dear friends,
    I am going to buy some goods via UPS from outside of EU saying € 1000 cost, how much will I have to pay totally,
    including purchases costs, intertax and VAT, and who is cheaper UPS or DHL for delivering from non-EU, please ?
    Thanks in advance
    Ken

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement