Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you lock your doors?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Front door locked about 95% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Well we nearly always come home through the back door (cos we put our bikes in the back shed) but I suppose a rule unlocked during the day when someone is there and locked at night and when we're out during the day.

Live in the country at home and its pretty much the same except for the fact that someone is nearly always at home so it's not really locked during the day. There are also about 3/4 keys for the back door and 1 for the front door hidden poorly at various intervals around the outside of the house.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

yes, But i have a Thing about making sure doors are closed, so that Explaines it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Next door neightbour from 'the country' and was not in habit of locking doors. Both their cars were stolen along with handbag while they were in sitting room.

Being from Dublin (ahhh Dubliner) I lock my doors all the time. I would not be able to leave a room if the window was open.

Paranoid, maybe
    Senseable, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Locking your door stops thefts of oppurtunity, something you don't really see in low population densitys. Do you really think that if your house has been targeted by a proper thief, a locked door would stop him/her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

I cant leave my door open.Its operated by keycard.Can't even leave it ajar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sremowt

You know, I do. But I was living away from home during the summer and while the front door was always locked the back was about 50/50. It's extremely irresponsible to do that though. It's worse than leaving your car unlocked.

>> I would not be able to leave a room if the window was open.
    That's overkill. I don't like leaving my house with open windows. But while I'm in the house I'm generally not all that much concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Our house has been robbed 3 times in the last 3 years - so definately yes i would lock the doors (we have double locks we're that scared!!) However at home in Cork, the front and back door are always open as the neighbours pop in and out. They are only locked going to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

What kind of doors do you people have?

If i close the door, its locked, and will only open with a key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well it's a chubb type lock - as in you open in from the inside, but only a key will open the outside.
    At night the alarm goes on.
    during the day if noones going to be in the house - alarm & dead lock go on.
    Dad says that way if they get in - they won't get out easily with stuff (because they wouldn't be able to open the front door)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

unreggd wrote: »
    What kind of doors do you people have?

If i close the door, its locked, and will only open with a key
    older houses tend to have doors in which you have to turn a key to lock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

In my Dads house the door is never locked when there's somebody there.

I'm my mams it just locks automatically when you close it and has to be opened with a key!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Cremo wrote: »
    older houses tend to have doors in which you have to turn a key to lock it.

Not just older houses/doors we put in new front and back doors about 3 years ago and they have to be locked by a key. PVC ones with proper door handles probably more common in estates rather than city centre

Advertisement