Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you lock your doors?

Options
  • 05-11-2007 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭

I was watching Bowling for Columbine not so long ago, and Micheal Moore was attempting to show how fearful American society was (he was presumably trying to justify the large number of guns in the US). To demonstrate this (in a really poor way imo), he went over the border to Canada and was surprised that a good few people he interviewed didn't lock their doors.

He seemed surprised as many people in the US (according to him) locked their doors, even during the day when they were at home.

I thought about this, and it occured to me that I rarely locked my door when I live alone in my family home in the countryside (even at night), but lock it when leaving. However, whenever I've lived in a city, I still kept it unlocked during the day, but locked it at night and when away.

So boardsers, do ye feel safe enough in the part of Ireland ye live in to keep the door unlocked as much as I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

i leave it open during the day but lock it at night and when away, i live in a safe estate thank god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

Oh God yes. I get loads of old businessmen walking into the flat around lunchtime and then getting embarrassed and leaving quickly. I have good reason to believe that my flat was used for the purposes of prostitution.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Our door is unlocked whenever there is someone in the house. It's probably 50/50 when there isn't. When I was living in Dublin during the summer, one of the doors was unlocked 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

always lock the door, when ever i come in or out, regardless who else is in the house, live in the town, and have had experiences of people just entering the house unexpectedly, even one ol doll who came to the totaly wrong house, she didn't even know where the person lived which was looking for, came in and started calling her name

if at my parents, leave the door unlocked unless going to bed or if house empty

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The door is always locked, it's a force of habit to turn the key the minute I step foot in the hallway.

My parents however, live in in the country, and only lock the door at night and when they're out of the house. But they do have 4 cattle dogs and 1 manic little Jack Russell. So I reckon that they're safe enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Oh God yes. I get loads of old businessmen walking into the flat around lunchtime and then getting embarrassed and leaving quickly. I have good reason to believe that my flat was used for the purposes of prostitution.

Really?:eek:Wasn't expecting that when I made this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The door is unlocked and often open during the day for the dog to run in and out. (locked when someone goes out) However If I am at home alone I will close it and lock it if I am having a shower. I will lock it after the dog has finished his tea at around 6ish, now that it's dark.
    Mind you, I have been getting more paranoid recently, ever since I read an article saying more houses get burgled when there are people in them. Damn media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

Yeah they come knocking or sometimes just walk straight in.. Some of them just leave without talking to me; others say they are looking for a hairdressers or a shop, which is ridiculous because it's all residential on this street. One guy went all red and just ran away. Then another day a middle-aged guy was outside for ages, peeping in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

My front door locks by itself when it's closed so the door is always locked. Then latched at night so it can't be opened from outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah they come knocking or sometimes just walk straight in.. Some of them just leave without talking to me; others say they are looking for a hairdressers or a shop, which is ridiculous because it's all residential on this street. One guy went all red and just ran away. Then another day a middle-aged guy was outside for ages, peeping in

Haha. Thats really bizarre. you should put a sign outside or whatever saying the hookers have moved on, or try next door ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

At home, the front door is always locked. In Uni, I've a Yale lock, so it locks automatically, and I'd still lock it if it didn't. When we were in America, however, we never locked our door. Don't know why because we had plenty of valuable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I live in the cc so keep the street door locked but back door is often unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Yes always!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I always lock them, noticed when we moved in that barely anyone on the street had locks on their garage doors (most which lead into the house on the inside) so have had a garage door opener installed to keep it shut tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Back doors always locked but the front door is unlocked while there are people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

let see.

~€5000 worth of guitar/musical equipment
    ~€3000 worth of computing gear.

hell yes i lock my doors.

We lock our doors even when we are in the house. Mainly because you can get a few rough people around our place. I always lock my bedroom whenever I'm personally not in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

We usually lock the doors, we live in the country but we've been more careful since the house got broken into and wrecked during the day last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Very rarely locked - never EVER when there's people here, never during the day even when house is empty, occasionally at night.

Our house is like an open house for visitors and nothing can be stolen that can't be replaced - except maybe my daughter :eek: I'm going to start locking the door I think, at night-time anyways!

Living i the country-side (ish)

When I lived alone with daughter in a city I had door locked at all times (but only because she was small and could open the front door and wander off...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

never locked..no idea in fact where the keys are.....put them somewhere safe lol. no need round here.

No one i know has ever had anyone (well cant say break in!) walk in and steal stuff round here. but its always a possiblity..just a really really bad habit..new year resoloution number one!

sure we wouldint have a leg to stand on with insurance company if it did ever happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I would never forgive myself if my computer/ music gear got stolen because I was too lazy to lock the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Define locked? When I pull my front door shut you need to open it with the key from the outside or turn the knob from the inside. Dont know if that counts as locked, if it does then yes, my door is always locked. The chubb lock and latch go on at night toothough,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

My door used to be unlocked. Some asshole sent her 8 year old kid in to rob my jacket in broad daylight. Always locked now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Locked (the door, that is) all the time, unless I'm just poppin to the letterbox/car/somewhere very nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bloody naive people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Besides the double locks on our front door, I also have a lock on my bedroom door (cause of all the randomers my flatmate brings home at night). And yes, we keep them locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

My front door has always been one that just locks itself when closed, so the first time I moved out of home, I'd just close my new front door behind me and off I'd go.

Was only when the flatmate gave out to me for not locking the door that I realised there are front doors that don't lock by themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Hell yes even when we are home, not a very safe estate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Back door is locked. Housemates keep it locked, I wouldn't bother otherwise.

Front door locks itself, it is left open if someone goes to the shop (30 sec walk) and if there is someone in the house. There isn't really anything too valuable downstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Front door locks itself (like a lot of houses in the city) but if it was a standard handle one I probably wouldn't lock it during the day when I'm in the house. I lock the chubb when I'm in bed or leaving the house. I just hope I can find my keys if the house ever goes on fire :eek:

Advertisement