Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheists using phrases with God in them

Options
  • 05-11-2007 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Just curious:
    Do atheists use phrases like:
    God only knows, Thank God, God love you (i'm guessing not that one)
    Oh my God/OMG!!, Heaven-sent, Heaven's above etc etc.

Wouldn't a committed atheist have banished these from their lexicon altogether.

BTW i didn't put this in the Atheism forum because it's more a trivial musing than anything else.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If they do it's more a force of habit than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Just use them like Bender in Futurama-

"Oh...your...god!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

What he said.

I was rasied a catholic like most people here. Sayings and phrases get stuck in every day use.
    No harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

A bad habit for them you would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

as long as the phrase "holy mary, mother of god" is banished i'll be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Generally young people in Ireland are brought up believing in Jesus, God, Holy spirit etc and so are used to using the words "God" in such phrases like the ones above. So when they are able to decide whats right for themselves, phrases like that don't really matter in the religious sense. So I agree it'd just be a habit they grew up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I also say "Inshallah" occasionally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

well holy god!

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Generally young people in Ireland are brought up believing in Jesus, God, Holy spirit etc and so are used to using the words "God" in such phrases like the ones above. So when they are able to decide whats right for themselves, phrases like that don't really matter in the religious sense. So I agree it'd just be a habit they grew up with.

But would a fellow atheist frown on this habitual use.
    Say Atheist 1 said "God bless you" or "God love you" to Atheist 2 would Atheist 2 be a bit embarrassed and give him a funny look.

There must be some phrases that atheists would not use that believers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Nah I wouldn't say so, unless they were Fundamentalist Athiests or something crazy like that ! Its just a normal thing to say IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

tech77 wrote: »
    But would a fellow atheist frown on this habitual use.
    Say Atheist 1 said "God bless you" or "God love you" to Atheist 2 would Atheist 2 be a bit embarrassed and give him a funny look.

There must be some phrases that atheists would not use that believers do.

They'd probably laugh about. I can't see anyone getting pissed off at something so stupid and is obviously a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

well since none of these deities actually exist its pretty inconsequential whether someone uses their name or not. its not like its a blasphemoy against the atheist overlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I am an Irish Protestant. Using the word God is just through habit for God's sake.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Nah I wouldn't say so, unless they were Fundamentalist Athiests or something crazy like that ! Its just a normal thing to say IMO.

Is there any other kind (well leaving aside the crazy bit..).
    I thought Atheism was Atheism.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd be prone to a 'fer christ's sake' from time to time....

It's just a common phrase.. doesn't mean anything... I don't think there are any other phrases I'd use though...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Shouldn't it be the believers whom are more concerned with using phrases like the above, what with the whole "thou shalt not take thy lord's name in vain" thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what a godawful thread

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

tech77 wrote:
    As somebody over in A+A said recently, atheists will stop invoking deities they don't believe exist, when christians stop calling the days of the week after Norse gods that they don't believe exist.

Having said that though, It'll be a cold day in hell before I'll go back to christianspeak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Was the use of the word hell there intended to be ironic?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I say oh my god all the time but I'm referring to Thor.

• Advertisement

Anyone here ever use the expression "For the love of Science!" or similar expressions. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

surprised nobody has mentioned the south park episode "go god go" - where the atheists replace god with the word science in these phrases "praise be to science"

edit: damn tech77 kinda beat me to it

Fair enough.
    But I wonder do people who are born and reared atheist tend to avoid the use of religious terms in a given culture's language as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

surprised nobody has mentioned the south park episode "go god go" - where the atheists replace god with the word science in these phrases "praise be to science"

edit: damn tech77 kinda beat me to it

lol i love that one.
    OH...MY...Science.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Fair enough.
    But I wonder do people who are born and reared atheist tend to avoid the use of religious terms in a given culture's language as much as possible.

im sure they do but that could be as much to do with how people would always annoying say but you dont believe in such and such after every one of those expletives they said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'm an atheist and I do use phrases like "God only knows" and some others from time to time, purely just as a common way to express myself. I do sometimes kick myself when I realise I've used such terms.

I am of course refering to Robbie Fowler when I mention God though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

What's next? "Vegetarians looking at animals"?

Silly, silly, smartarse thread: It's a habit- end of.

karmabass wrote: »
    What's next? "Vegetarians looking at animals"?

Silly, silly, smartarse thread: It's a habit- end of.

No, wasn't intended that way at all TBH.

I'm just interested in the connections between religious belief/atheism, culture and cognition/language.

What i've gathered is:
    Many posters here who were raised catholic (but later became atheist) say, it's a habitual thing only.
    In other words ingrained through culture growing up and retained in language albeit only semantically vestigial (ie without any real meaning for them).

So then we move onto those reared atheist:
    Semantically God/Heaven etc would have no meaning for them from the outset so i guess they would still not use phrases with religious terms in them even if the pervasive culture around them was religious

I'm still waiting to hear their view to confirm this.
    But If they did start using religious terms, It'd be a bit like a Christian using phrases with Allah etc in them after spending time in a Muslim country wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm a big fan of using a Miley inspired and in thick accent "O Holy God!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I was brought up Catholic, but I wouldn't call myself an Athiest.

I don't believe in any form of higher being, but I don't like to be lumped in with one group or another.

I also use christian teminology in every day use.
    It helps when people understand what you're talking about.

Advertisement