Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archbishop unleashes attack on recreational drug use... that means YOU, scumbag!!!

Options
  • 05-11-2007 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhmhojkfmhoj/rss2/

Archbishop unleashes rage at recreational drug users
    04/11/2007 - 19:59:53

Archbishop Diarmuid Martin today unleashed a scathing attack on recreational drug users, accusing of them of being inherently connected to gangland violence.

The most senior Catholic churchman in the country insisted anyone taking illegal substances could not sanitise their role in spiralling gun crime and murder that has gripped the state.

“Violence and the drug trade belong intrinsically together,” he told an active citizenship service, led by his Church of Ireland counterpart Dr John Neill, in Dublin’s Christ Church Cathedral.

In what will be viewed as a thinly-veiled reference to the growing culture of cocaine use by Irish middle-classes, Dr Martin was adamant there could be no moral ambiguity about involvement with the drugs trade. “Illicit drug consumption cannot be sanitised out of that equation,” he said.

“I find it particularly difficult to understand how in a society which rightly abhors any expression of double-standards in public life, there are those who attempt to make germ-free the bond between the sordid network of drug trafficking and violence and the socially accepted use of certain drugs as ’recreational’.”

He added: “Double standard about the drug trade can never be made politically correct. It is certainly not socially correct. It is not correct for society.”

Dr Martin said society as a whole needed to take a stand against the gangland and drug culture.

“That is what citizenship is about. There is no room to be complacent in the face of wanton disregard for human life,” he told the congregation.

“Too many lives have been lost. Violence is a blind alley that in the long term achieves only grief. Vengeance only rebounds on those who practice it.

“The drug trade is in its own right violence, a trafficking in death and the ruination of lives, many of them young and vulnerable.”

`

That's right, another one lines up to take a shot at drug users! He was probably sipping on a Guinness as he made those remarks.

“Double standard about the drug trade can never be made politically correct. It is certainly not socially correct. It is not correct for society.”

What a gem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i'm eating peanuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

wrote:
    “I find it particularly difficult to understand how in a society which rightly abhors any expression of double-standards in public life, there are those who attempt to make germ-free the bond between the sordid network of drug trafficking and violence and the socially accepted use of certain drugs as ’recreational’.

And there are those who practice paedophilia and those who cover up for their colleagues.... Double standards.... Hmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

We all need to take up arms and rid Ireland of the bishops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

and instead of spending our money on drugs, lets go to church on sunday's and make over large donations!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He is of course correct in what he says, he just forgot the bit about legaliseing the drugs to remove the criminals from the situation. Only problem then is that we would all be too out of it to be bothered turning up to watch him on a sunday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Regardless of what ones opinion is of the church or of the person making the statement, it's a 100% valid point and has been made by many others before.

Lads.He is correct in what he is saying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Let's not miss an opportunity to lay into the church though?

He makes some valid points. Yes, the medium may dilute the message in your eyes, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Legalise. Cannabis dealing is a gateway into dealing stronger things. Legalise cannabis and them pesky kids wont start dealing it.

PS God sucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It's mainly the fault of the law tbh. People use drugs and will continue to do so regardless of their legal status, anti-drug campaigners should get over it. As long as they're illegal, gangsterism will prevail, and due to the highly illogical nature of our drug laws, I place very little blame on drug users.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

He is right though, and i dont go to Church unless its a Wedding, Funeral etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

he's shooting himself in the foot though, people are way more open to bull****r when they are out of their mind on drugs... attendance on sunday would sky rocket if they had a smoking/shooting up area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Mordeth wrote: »
    he's shooting himself in the foot though, people are way more open to bull****r when they are out of their mind on drugs... attendance on sunday would sky rocket if they had a smoking/shooting up area.

hey if holy bread was xtc i'd be there in a shot, as long as organ music was replaced by 2manydj's or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Yep, I also say he is 100% correct. Go on the Catholics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭boss^is^dead

robinph wrote: »
    He is of course correct in what he says, he just forgot the bit about legaliseing the drugs to remove the criminals from the situation. Only problem then is that we would all be too out of it to be bothered turning up to watch him on a sunday morning.

haha true true! Legalizing certain drugs would hit them really hard.But heroin would need to stay outside of that little deal methinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He's right.

And I was pilloried from pillar to post and had a mod destroy a thread with idiotic YouTube videos when I was saying it on here a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Bishops are bad mmmkay.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    It's mainly the fault of the law tbh. People use drugs and will continue to do so regardless of their legal status, anti-drug campaigners should get over it. As long as they're illegal, gangsterism will prevail, and due to the highly illogical nature of our drug laws, I place very little blame on drug users.
    Are you for real?

You put little blame on the drug users?
    They're the ones using the drugs. How the fúck are they not to blame?

Also, DaveMcG, I see what you did there with the title.
    Play on the bad name the church has in order to garner support for your side of the arguement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Archbishop or mot he is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DaveMcG wrote: »
    “Double standard about the drug trade
    So he is allowed use a recreational drug as a "sacrament" in his ceremonies while anybody else wishing to use other drugs for spiritual purposes is thrown in jail.

Oh, I forgot, anybody who uses illegal drugs always takes them to excess, ruins their lives & ruins society.
    You put little blame on the drug users?
    They're the ones using the drugs. How the fúck are they not to blame?
    Yes, they are as much to blame as drinkers were during prohibition lawlessness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

The Cleric is correct. Like it or no, recreational drug use paints the blood red skies over gangland.

And you thought you were doing no harm having yer pinch of charles whilst on leave from your sporting pals in Doneybrook loike !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if the government want's to stopthe criminal gangs having a monopoly on drugs they should just decriminalise it. Two birds, one lovely stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

The Cleric is correct. Like it or no, recreational drug use paints the blood red skies over gangland.

completely off topic but...what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

While what he says makes sense, will it have any affect at all?

Are recreational drug users going to say 'Hey, the guy in the big hat reckons I've contibuted to many deaths. I should stop dabbling and take up GAA again... or go to mass'?

I don't think so.

Well meaning, but falling on partially deaf/partially cynical ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Forget about cannabis its a playground drug aimed at 15-20 year old students. The real source of wealth and power comes from cocaine. Every corner of society dabbles in this drug at the weekend. everyone is bloody at it.

Of course what the bishop said is true but it a bit rich coming from a member of the church. No one will listens. Politicians are always harping on about the links between drug users at ground level and those at the top. No one listens. Gardai are continuely providing evidence that gangs get there power from / wealth cocaine sales. No one listens. Grieving mothers, family members stories are flashed all over the papers when innocent people are killied from members of these gangs. No one listens.

What will it take? What needs to happen? Who will people listen to?

Legalise cocaine, ketamine, extacy, heroin ? I dont know. If it did happen it wont be long before some idiot mixes every drug together and dies. It'll be easy to make it ilegal again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Terry wrote: »
    Also, DaveMcG, I see what you did there with the title.
    Play on the bad name the church has in order to garner support for your side of the arguement.

Damn, you got me!

ORRR, I paraphrased the header used in the article, which iiiiiisssssssss.....

Are they trying to garner support for my side of the argument too?

The article is about the Archbishop condemning recreational drug use, why would I not use his position (and/or name) in the title of the thread?

I think you need to stay out of the conspiracy theory forum. It'll f*ck with your head.
    c0rk3r wrote: »
    Legalise cocaine, ketamine, extacy, heroin ? I dont know. If it did happen it wont be long before some idiot mixes every drug together and dies. It'll be easy to make it ilegal again.

They already do that mate... Speedball. Makes no difference that it's illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Diarmuid Martin is completely right. I think he should get some praise for his public stance on issues. He isnt afraid to speak out against drug use and gangland killings

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

rubadub wrote: »
    So he is allowed use a recreational drug as a "sacrament" in his ceremonies while anybody else wishing to use other drugs for spiritual purposes is thrown in jail.

Oh, I forgot, anybody who uses illegal drugs always takes them to excess, ruins their lives & ruins society.

Yes, they are as much to blame as drinkers were during prohibition lawlessness.
    Ooh. Didn't see that one coming.

Watch out tea and coffee drinkers. You're next.

DaveMcG wrote:
    ORRR, I paraphrased the header used in the article, which iiiiiisssssssss.....

Nah.
    You did whatever it was I said.
    DaveMcG wrote:
    I think you need to stay out of the conspiracy theory forum. It'll f*ck with your head.
    Haven't set foot in it in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

connundrum wrote: »
    While what he says makes sense, will it have any affect at all?

Are recreational drug users going to say 'Hey, the guy in the big hat reckons I've contibuted to many deaths. I should stop dabbling and take up GAA again... or go to mass'?

I don't think so.

Well meaning, but falling on partially deaf/partially cynical ears.

Agreed , although a few well-heeled recreational users banged up in the Joy for a weekend or two might change their perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ooh. Didn't see that one coming.

Watch out tea and coffee drinkers. You're next.

Is it not a valid point?

Here's an exercise... finish the paragraph:

Alcohol is a drug used recreationally. Marijuana is a drug used recreationally. Both are bad for you. Alcohol is directly responsible for more deaths. Marijuana is illegal because __________________________________ .
    Nah.
    You did whatever it was I said.

Haven't set foot in it in years.

Excellent.

Advertisement