Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mean Streak

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Laslo wrote: »
    Unfortunately they give the good ones a bad rep. There are so many of them now, particularly in Dublin, that a lot of the time Dublin women are just all tarred with the same brush. It's not fair but that's life.

But she did mean to be rude. She was rude. Why did you apologise on her behalf?

I agree - there are a lot of mean women.. I don't understand it to be honest. Unless the guy is being a complete tool there's no need for rudeness.

I was just embarrassed I guess - the guy didn't need to be blanked like that, he was only trying to talk to her. I felt bad for him and felt the need to apologise for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

connundrum wrote: »
    I obviously was referring to other single women. No one should take offense from my comment as it was admittedly a harsh generalisation.

No more Mojitos from Connundrum :(

Nah I was half-joking pet -- I get where you are coming from though. And I didn't take much offense lol - I like to think I'm one of the nice ones! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stratospheres

Scones rock

No, you're thinking of rock buns!

Yes unfortunately there are a lot of stuck-up Irish girls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Was just in denmark and the girls are far more open to conversation, no matter how good lookin they are, but thats a bit annoying in the long run, since you end up spending ages talking to a girl with a boyfriend. At least here you get an instant yes or no. If she talks to you it generally means she fancies you, and if she doesn't, her loss, move on to someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

alan4cult wrote: »
    Good name for a film.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0182310/

someone agrees with you

• Advertisement

Oh and I'm trying that scones idea.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Was just in denmark and the girls are far more open to conversation, no matter how good lookin they are, but thats a bit annoying in the long run, since you end up spending ages talking to a girl with a boyfriend. At least here you get an instant yes or no. If she talks to you it generally means she fancies you, and if she doesn't, her loss, move on to someone else

You're a 'glass is half full' man, aren't you?

Kowloon are you from HK?

Why are most men in the irish single scene only interested in using you for their own sexual gratification, and are completely incapable of feigning the slightest interest in you.

A woman in a ltr is going to immediately file a fella chatting to her into the friend zone. Unless she is trying to use his attention for an ego-boost.
    Personally when someone is clearly trying to pull you and your not interested, I think it is mean to string them along for your own entertanment.

A few times, I have been so utterly disgusted at being pawed that the very next person who comes within two feet of me is going to get flattened.And rather than launch into a tirade of abuse I have gritted my teeth and blanked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Mairt wrote: »
    Because a lot of Irish woman are just stuck up ol' cvnts. And East European women, while maybe hot are worse.

Best off sticking with townies and wenches from Darndale (and the likes). Far better in the sack, down to earth and nearly always a swallower!.

Sage advice. :D

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter Mairt.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Why are most men in the irish single scene only interested in using you for their own sexual gratification, and are completely incapable of feigning the slightest interest in you.

Maybe you're attracting the wrong men? Why not decide who you like and then go and chat them up? It's not really enough to complain about being chatted up by sleazebags and then not make any effort chatting up decent guys.

I think this is the whole issue with the dating game. 95% of the guys I know who are confident enough to take their chances chatting up a woman also happen to be the type of fellows you describe above. They're also the type of fellows who don't mind getting rejected or being made a fool of. They just move on to the next potential conquest.

On the other hand, most of the decent and perhaps more sensitive guys tend not to chat women up for fear of rejection.

It's a catch 22, particularly as men are expected to do the chatting up. I suggest an annual 'women chat up men night'! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Unfortunately, you have to be mean to some men to get them to understand you're not interested. They ruin it for all the normal men.

It's a catch 22, particularly as men are expected to do the chatting up. I suggest an annual 'women chat up men night'! :p

Interesting idea, it'd be nice not to be the one making a fool of himself for once, let the women have a taste!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

KIVES wrote: »
    Where piping hot scones offered as an enticement to chat idly? - that ice breaker has worked for me on several occasions - kind of creates a subtle sense of merriment...they don't know whether to reject you out of hand or try a little to see if your some kind of itinerant baker
    SCONES??

What's up with you and scones?:)

muffin's now a muffin would keep her interested

Scone:confused:

every single thread i've looked at today! WHAT THE HELL!?

warm scones + strawberry jam Mmmm

Maybe something subliminal is telling me this but I'd really love a scone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

From my point of view:

Some men can be really persistant, even when you've made it clear you're not interested. If you engage them, they think they're in with a chance and will NOT leave you alone. This can feel threatening to a woman and can be scary. Most women will have plenty of experience with these kinds of men, and will have learnt by now that the easier way to get them to píss off is just to ignore them completely. In a pub or club situation, many men can't tell the difference between innocent chatting and sexual attraction. Just because we talk to you, doesn't mean we want to sleep with you. Thus, to avoid the man in question having expectations of sex, we're forced to ignore them completely.

As for foreign women being more friendly and receptive, sorry guys, but it's just because you, being Irish, are a novelty to them. If they spend any lenght of time in Ireland, that's guaranteed to wear off and they'll behave like any other Irish woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

The men who assume that any woman who speaks to them is interested in them in terms of either sex or a relationship mean a lot of Irish men get tarred with the same brush, and are treated as such by a lot of Irish women.

The women who blank Irish men or are consistently rude mean that a lot of Irish women get tarred with the same brush.

It's a cyclical thing :p

Faith wrote: »
    From my point of view:

Some men can be really persistant, even when you've made it clear you're not interested. If you engage them, they think they're in with a chance and will NOT leave you alone. This can feel threatening to a woman and can be scary. Most women will have plenty of experience with these kinds of men, and will have learnt by now that the easier way to get them to píss off is just to ignore them completely. In a pub or club situation, many men can't tell the difference between innocent chatting and sexual attraction. Just because we talk to you, doesn't mean we want to sleep with you. Thus, to avoid the man in question having expectations of sex, we're forced to ignore them completely.

As for foreign women being more friendly and receptive, sorry guys, but it's just because you, being Irish, are a novelty to them. If they spend any lenght of time in Ireland, that's guaranteed to wear off and they'll behave like any other Irish woman.

Are you suggesting that Irish women are only aggressive and nasty towards men when then men are being pushy?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Mairt wrote: »
    Because a lot of Irish woman are just stuck up ol' cvnts. And East European women, while maybe hot are worse.

Best off sticking with townies and wenches from Darndale (and the likes). Far better in the sack, down to earth and nearly always a swallower!.

MAIRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

but seriously OP tell your mate to chat me up some night when he is out, i havent been chatted up in years (i must be one of the fruggle ones):(:(:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

In So Cal the girls will occasionally ask the lads out, but I've not seen that happen much in bars or clubs out here. Happens elsewhere, like in javahouses or classrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Okay ladies so why do Irish women think that just because a bloke is talking to them in a pub/club that it's a come-on? Have you all just got overly high opinions of yourselves?

OP: the reason your friend and others like her are being like that is simple....life's too short, they're after spending all that time and money getting their hair and clothes right, then even more money to get out into a club and getting boozed up....the next 3 hours is their's, they're not going home alone....why should they waste even a second of that precious time in a conversation with someone who they don't fancy, sending out the wrong impression and possibly letting the big catch get away?
    It's a selfish sort of desperation...

• Advertisement

may be if the men stopped treating the wimmin like pieces of meat, the wimmin might be more respectful to the men

Assuming that that's aimed at my comment, I have never treated a woman like a piece of meat, especially not one that I had any vague notion of trying to go out with.
    Then again given that nice guys finish last, maybe I need to completely rethink my approach and just get on like the rest of the arseholes...

nah, its not directed at anyone in particular just my observation on being a single girl in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Wertz wrote: »
    Then again given that nice guys finish last, maybe I need to completely rethink my approach and just get on like the rest of the arseholes...

Wrong. Losers finish last. Have a read of this and stop whining.

Yeah the assholes really are everywhere. making the rest of us look bad. I'm starting to think if you can't beat them, join them... :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Driver 8 wrote: »
    The men who assume that any woman who speaks to them is interested in them in terms of either sex or a relationship mean a lot of Irish men get tarred with the same brush, and are treated as such by a lot of Irish women.

The women who blank Irish men or are consistently rude mean that a lot of Irish women get tarred with the same brush.

It's a cyclical thing :p

I pretty much agree with that.
    Are you suggesting that Irish women are only aggressive and nasty towards men when then men are being pushy?

No. I'd like to think that, but what I was getting at is the women that you encounter who are aggressive and nasty are usually that way because of past experiences. That, or they're just unpleasant people. Which is equally likely, but men are capable of being unpleasant too. I know one woman who is without a doubt the most unpleasant person I've ever met. That's just her personality though, and has nothing to do with the men who're talking to her.
    Okay ladies so why do Irish women think that just because a bloke is talking to them in a pub/club that it's a come-on? Have you all just got overly high opinions of yourselves?

I have no problem chatting to guys in pubs, because it's a much more relaxed environment and chances are they're just being friendly. But I've never chatted to a random guy in a club who didn't ultimately try and get in my pants. So again, it's borne out of experience, in my case anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

kowloon wrote: »
    Any fella i know would be flattered if someone approached them, even if she was hideous, but the rejection wouldnt be so intently nasty.

Well thats not true, as I've often encountered the same sort of things with guys when I'm out. I am by no means ugly, but I have been in the company of other females that get chatted up by a bloke that only has eyes for them, and I seem to be brushed rudely to one side and ignored.
    It's down to the person really, not the gender.

FruitLover wrote: »
    Wrong. Losers finish last. Have a read of this and stop whining.

Wait, I get it now, I'm just a mysogynist! How could I ever have missed it?
    Oh and a loser as well, obviously.
    Besides, who's whining? I was just posting a typically male observation.

connundrum wrote: »
    Mainly because single women are cut throat bitches.

Well...You have to weed out the scum ;) (which there are a lot of, here)

• Advertisement

No, because they have a Mickey in between their legs and wish to have it between someone elses before the night is out, so they can tell all their friends.

Advertisement