Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's that piece...?

Options
16781012

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem


    Marzipan85 wrote: »
    Trumpet piece. Anyone know the name and composer?

    You sure it's got a trumpet in it? :p


  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85


    Hi,

    Mod copied my post here from another thread, leaving stuff out. Someone has already answered, so I know what the piece is. See below.

    http://mariannesils.podomatic.com/entry/2013-07-31T04_40_00-07_00

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2opGg4Bv0


  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem


    Hey guys, don't suppose anyone knows what the piece of music in this video is? Is it from Firebird?




    Thanks! :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15


    Music is credited towards the end of the video. It is La Mer from Debussy, first movement.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uGcDed4xVD4&t=193

    The orchestration for military band I think gives it a Stravinsky feel with the additional brass and percussion.


  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem


    dlouth15 wrote: »
    Music is credited towards the end of the video. It is La Mer from Debussy, first movement.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uGcDed4xVD4&t=193

    The orchestration for military band I think gives it a Stravinsky feel with the additional brass and percussion.

    Ah Jaysus, that's probably the third time I've mistaken La Mer for a piece of Stravinsky's! I should probably listen to it a few times! :p

    Thanks a mil! :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15


    You're welcome. It's hard sometimes to recognize impressionist pieces like this especially if the extract starts some time in the middle. This is the first time I'd heard it done with a band and, although I thought it was probably La Mer, I had to play bits of the piece I have on CD to compare. I thought it might be an original piece done in the style of La Mer. Only at the end when I saw the music credited was I sure.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey


    I heard this on Classic FM but the presenter must have given it the full speel on the intro as he said nothing when it ended. I've heard it a few times in the sporting arena and for some reason I thought Big Daddy (Shirley Crabtree) used it as a ring entrance theme (but might have been someone else from the lunchtime wretling on Saturday lunchtime about 30 years ago :(

    daaa da, da-da da da da daa, da-da daa da-da, da-da da da da, da-da da, da-da da, da-da da daa

    I think it was played on trumpets.

    If you can get it from that you're a legend. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote


    I heard this on Classic FM but the presenter must have given it the full speel on the intro as he said nothing when it ended. I've heard it a few times in the sporting arena and for some reason I thought Big Daddy (Shirley Crabtree) used it as a ring entrance theme (but might have been someone else from the lunchtime wretling on Saturday lunchtime about 30 years ago :(

    You can get the Classic FM playlists on their website, it you knew what time and day you heard to piece at? http://www.classicfm.com/radio/playlist/2014/february/10/classic-fm-drive/


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz


    Contained in this promo is a very famous piece of classical music. For the life of me, I can't think of the name of it. I'll kick myself when I'm told it.

    Thanks in advance! :)



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15


    DazMarz wrote: »
    Contained in this promo is a very famous piece of classical music. For the life of me, I can't think of the name of it. I'll kick myself when I'm told it.

    Thanks in advance! :)

    It is the Aquarium from Carnival of the Animals by Saint Saens.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69


    Well done dlouth15 ! You beat me to it by 5 mins :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz


    Thanks so much, guys!!! That's been torturing me all day. Searching YouTube and typing in such generic searches as "Fairytale classical music" and so on wasn't getting me anywhere!

    Thanks again!


  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo


    DazMarz wrote: »
    Contained in this promo is a very famous piece of classical music. For the life of me, I can't think of the name of it. I'll kick myself when I'm told it.

    Thanks in advance! :)


    Saint-Saens
    "Carnival of the Animals" - "Aquarium" movement


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey


    plumpote wrote: »
    You can get the Classic FM playlists on their website, it you knew what time and day you heard to piece at? http://www.classicfm.com/radio/playlist/2014/february/10/classic-fm-drive/

    Unofrtunately it was more than a few weeks ago, so I don't remember the specific date/time :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69


    Just looking at your "Da" it reminds of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCPz9zygKEo&list=PLplxvYzy1lVfegiHQUYZYiRATKtn8IsuS&index=13 Hope I have hit the right note! :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors


    I heard this on Classic FM but the presenter must have given it the full speel on the intro as he said nothing when it ended. I've heard it a few times in the sporting arena and for some reason I thought Big Daddy (Shirley Crabtree) used it as a ring entrance theme (but might have been someone else from the lunchtime wretling on Saturday lunchtime about 30 years ago :(

    daaa da, da-da da da da daa, da-da daa da-da, da-da da da da, da-da da, da-da da, da-da da daa

    I think it was played on trumpets.

    If you can get it from that you're a legend. :D

    Ok going by the 'daaaaa da' long short idea.. could it be..


    although it's a bit downbeat.. might work for a wrestling baddie ..

    Maybe something more high pitched/upbeat/optimistic ...and restyled with a pop beat by emerson lake and palmer!!! How about this..



  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey


    Nope - sorry.

    I think upon recollection it was by someone whose name begins with 'V' - I thought it was Vivaldi, but I cannot find it.

    I'm going to die unfulfilled :(


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors


    Nope - sorry.

    I think upon recollection it was by someone whose name begins with 'V' - I thought it was Vivaldi, but I cannot find it.

    I'm going to die unfulfilled :(

    Possibly beginning with V ...could be vivaldi!! He was more of a strings dude so I don't know about the trumpets idea...maybe the gloria?




    It's not Vagner is it:o



    Can you actually humm the tune in your head? Are your 'Daaaaa da"'s definitely right... what does the hyphen mean in the "da-da" also I presume the commas mean a little break ?

    Try playing the first few notes on here maybe Melody finder thing


    It's not Verdi by any chance you are thinking of?


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy


    I think upon recollection it was by someone whose name begins with 'V' - I thought it was Vivaldi, but I cannot find it.

    Not Vangelis by any chance?

    Genealogy Forum Mod



  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas


    Big Daddy seems to have used 'We shall not be moved' as his entrance music, so it was probably a different wrestler.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey


    4umbrellas wrote: »
    Big Daddy seems to have used 'We shall not be moved' as his entrance music, so it was probably a different wrestler.

    I associated it with Big Daddy. I thought it was one he sometimes used, but it may have been another wrestler from that era in British wrestling.


  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII


    Hi guys, I have a few pieces to identify (mp3 format). What would be the best website for you to put them on?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15


    XVII wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have a few pieces to identify (mp3 format). What would be the best website for you to put them on?
    sound cloud I would suggest. I've also converted mp3s to video format and uploaded them to youtube but that is a bit more involved.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors


    Can't wait, that last unsolved one is wrecking my head... Might begin with V eh!

    Maybe before we hear the sound cloud excerpt the poster could do dahs,dees and dums in the spirit of things.

    Anyway...ears at the ready.


  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII


    Maybe before we hear the sound cloud excerpt the poster could do dahs,dees and dums in the spirit of things.
    haha it would be a bit too tough for me for these particular pieces.

    So, here we go, 3 of them:
    https://soundcloud.com/crnl-1/sets/sounds
    Please bear in mind that they are taken from various songs where they were used as samples. So they can be slightly altered. For instance, track 1 has those quite beats, track 2 has a trumpet sound at the end (I'm not sure if it belongs to the original piece), and track 3 has a noise added.

    I actually wanted to get these identified for ages, thanks for any help!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15


    XVII wrote: »
    haha it would be a bit too tough for me for these particular pieces.

    So, here we go, 3 of them:
    https://soundcloud.com/crnl-1/sets/sounds
    Please bear in mind that they are taken from various songs where they were used as samples. So they can be slightly altered. For instance, track 1 has those quite beats, track 2 has a trumpet sound at the end (I'm not sure if it belongs to the original piece), and track 3 has a noise added.

    I actually wanted to get these identified for ages, thanks for any help!
    The second one sounds a bit like parts of Georgi Ligety's "Requiem" which was used in Kupric's film 2001 A Space Odyssey.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wawSCvuGj4o

    Sorry I can't help with the others.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors


    3rd one sounds like the Kyrie Eleison from Mozarts Requiem.... BACKWARDS:eek:

    Is this the work of Old Nick himself?


  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII


    Armelodie wrote: »
    3rd one sounds like the Kyrie Eleison from Mozarts Requiem.... BACKWARDS:eek:

    Is this the work of Old Nick himself?

    Haha, sounds very much like. Thanks a lot, I would probably never figure this out.
    I'm checking Ligeti's piece now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII


    dlouth15 wrote: »
    The second one sounds a bit like parts of Georgi Ligety's "Requiem" which was used in Kupric's film 2001 A Space Odyssey.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wawSCvuGj4o

    Sorry I can't help with the others.

    I listened to it twice, and although it sounds very similar at times, I still wasn't able to locate exact piece. Maybe I missed it?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15


    XVII wrote: »
    I listened to it twice, and although it sounds very similar at times, I still wasn't able to locate exact piece. Maybe I missed it?
    I couldn't find the exact place in it. I'm not sure it is actually Requiem by Ligeti either. Very hard to identify this sort of piece where there's no recognizable tune.


Advertisement