Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's that piece...?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Marzipan85 wrote: »
    Trumpet piece. Anyone know the name and composer?

You sure it's got a trumpet in it? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

Hi,

Mod copied my post here from another thread, leaving stuff out. Someone has already answered, so I know what the piece is. See below.

http://mariannesils.podomatic.com/entry/2013-07-31T04_40_00-07_00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2opGg4Bv0

Hey guys, don't suppose anyone knows what the piece of music in this video is? Is it from Firebird?

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

Music is credited towards the end of the video. It is La Mer from Debussy, first movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uGcDed4xVD4&t=193

The orchestration for military band I think gives it a Stravinsky feel with the additional brass and percussion.

dlouth15 wrote: »
    Music is credited towards the end of the video. It is La Mer from Debussy, first movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uGcDed4xVD4&t=193

The orchestration for military band I think gives it a Stravinsky feel with the additional brass and percussion.

Ah Jaysus, that's probably the third time I've mistaken La Mer for a piece of Stravinsky's! I should probably listen to it a few times! :p

Thanks a mil! :)

• Advertisement

You're welcome. It's hard sometimes to recognize impressionist pieces like this especially if the extract starts some time in the middle. This is the first time I'd heard it done with a band and, although I thought it was probably La Mer, I had to play bits of the piece I have on CD to compare. I thought it might be an original piece done in the style of La Mer. Only at the end when I saw the music credited was I sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I heard this on Classic FM but the presenter must have given it the full speel on the intro as he said nothing when it ended. I've heard it a few times in the sporting arena and for some reason I thought Big Daddy (Shirley Crabtree) used it as a ring entrance theme (but might have been someone else from the lunchtime wretling on Saturday lunchtime about 30 years ago :(

daaa da, da-da da da da daa, da-da daa da-da, da-da da da da, da-da da, da-da da, da-da da daa

I think it was played on trumpets.

If you can get it from that you're a legend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

I heard this on Classic FM but the presenter must have given it the full speel on the intro as he said nothing when it ended. I've heard it a few times in the sporting arena and for some reason I thought Big Daddy (Shirley Crabtree) used it as a ring entrance theme (but might have been someone else from the lunchtime wretling on Saturday lunchtime about 30 years ago :(

You can get the Classic FM playlists on their website, it you knew what time and day you heard to piece at? http://www.classicfm.com/radio/playlist/2014/february/10/classic-fm-drive/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Contained in this promo is a very famous piece of classical music. For the life of me, I can't think of the name of it. I'll kick myself when I'm told it.

Thanks in advance! :)

DazMarz wrote: »
    Contained in this promo is a very famous piece of classical music. For the life of me, I can't think of the name of it. I'll kick myself when I'm told it.

It is the Aquarium from Carnival of the Animals by Saint Saens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69

Well done dlouth15 ! You beat me to it by 5 mins :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Thanks so much, guys!!! That's been torturing me all day. Searching YouTube and typing in such generic searches as "Fairytale classical music" and so on wasn't getting me anywhere!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

DazMarz wrote: »

Saint-Saens
    "Carnival of the Animals" - "Aquarium" movement

plumpote wrote: »
    You can get the Classic FM playlists on their website, it you knew what time and day you heard to piece at? http://www.classicfm.com/radio/playlist/2014/february/10/classic-fm-drive/

Unofrtunately it was more than a few weeks ago, so I don't remember the specific date/time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69

Just looking at your "Da" it reminds of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCPz9zygKEo&list=PLplxvYzy1lVfegiHQUYZYiRATKtn8IsuS&index=13 Hope I have hit the right note! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

daaa da, da-da da da da daa, da-da daa da-da, da-da da da da, da-da da, da-da da, da-da da daa

I think it was played on trumpets.

If you can get it from that you're a legend. :D

Ok going by the 'daaaaa da' long short idea.. could it be..

although it's a bit downbeat.. might work for a wrestling baddie ..

Maybe something more high pitched/upbeat/optimistic ...and restyled with a pop beat by emerson lake and palmer!!! How about this..

Nope - sorry.

I think upon recollection it was by someone whose name begins with 'V' - I thought it was Vivaldi, but I cannot find it.

I'm going to die unfulfilled :(

Nope - sorry.

I think upon recollection it was by someone whose name begins with 'V' - I thought it was Vivaldi, but I cannot find it.

I'm going to die unfulfilled :(

Possibly beginning with V ...could be vivaldi!! He was more of a strings dude so I don't know about the trumpets idea...maybe the gloria?

It's not Vagner is it:o

Can you actually humm the tune in your head? Are your 'Daaaaa da"'s definitely right... what does the hyphen mean in the "da-da" also I presume the commas mean a little break ?

Try playing the first few notes on here maybe Melody finder thing

It's not Verdi by any chance you are thinking of?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Not Vangelis by any chance?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

Big Daddy seems to have used 'We shall not be moved' as his entrance music, so it was probably a different wrestler.

• Advertisement

4umbrellas wrote: »
    Big Daddy seems to have used 'We shall not be moved' as his entrance music, so it was probably a different wrestler.

I associated it with Big Daddy. I thought it was one he sometimes used, but it may have been another wrestler from that era in British wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Hi guys, I have a few pieces to identify (mp3 format). What would be the best website for you to put them on?

XVII wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have a few pieces to identify (mp3 format). What would be the best website for you to put them on?
    sound cloud I would suggest. I've also converted mp3s to video format and uploaded them to youtube but that is a bit more involved.

Can't wait, that last unsolved one is wrecking my head... Might begin with V eh!

Maybe before we hear the sound cloud excerpt the poster could do dahs,dees and dums in the spirit of things.

Anyway...ears at the ready.

Maybe before we hear the sound cloud excerpt the poster could do dahs,dees and dums in the spirit of things.
    haha it would be a bit too tough for me for these particular pieces.

So, here we go, 3 of them:
    https://soundcloud.com/crnl-1/sets/sounds
    Please bear in mind that they are taken from various songs where they were used as samples. So they can be slightly altered. For instance, track 1 has those quite beats, track 2 has a trumpet sound at the end (I'm not sure if it belongs to the original piece), and track 3 has a noise added.

I actually wanted to get these identified for ages, thanks for any help!

haha it would be a bit too tough for me for these particular pieces.

So, here we go, 3 of them:
    https://soundcloud.com/crnl-1/sets/sounds
    Please bear in mind that they are taken from various songs where they were used as samples. So they can be slightly altered. For instance, track 1 has those quite beats, track 2 has a trumpet sound at the end (I'm not sure if it belongs to the original piece), and track 3 has a noise added.

I actually wanted to get these identified for ages, thanks for any help!
    The second one sounds a bit like parts of Georgi Ligety's "Requiem" which was used in Kupric's film 2001 A Space Odyssey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wawSCvuGj4o

Sorry I can't help with the others.

3rd one sounds like the Kyrie Eleison from Mozarts Requiem.... BACKWARDS:eek:

Is this the work of Old Nick himself?

Armelodie wrote: »
    3rd one sounds like the Kyrie Eleison from Mozarts Requiem.... BACKWARDS:eek:

Is this the work of Old Nick himself?

Haha, sounds very much like. Thanks a lot, I would probably never figure this out.
    I'm checking Ligeti's piece now.

dlouth15 wrote: »
    The second one sounds a bit like parts of Georgi Ligety's "Requiem" which was used in Kupric's film 2001 A Space Odyssey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wawSCvuGj4o

Sorry I can't help with the others.

I listened to it twice, and although it sounds very similar at times, I still wasn't able to locate exact piece. Maybe I missed it?

• Advertisement

I listened to it twice, and although it sounds very similar at times, I still wasn't able to locate exact piece. Maybe I missed it?
    I couldn't find the exact place in it. I'm not sure it is actually Requiem by Ligeti either. Very hard to identify this sort of piece where there's no recognizable tune.

Advertisement