Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guinea pig stuck under my shed

Options
  • 03-11-2007 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Mmm problem. My guinea pig has just run under my garden shed.The sheds on concrete blocks and there is so much dense shrubbery surrounding the shed. There is abit of a pit underneath the shed, so basically it can't get it out, its stuck!! Any ideas how to save this poor creature before it dies??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Fish hook in a carrot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭guest

Poison it before it starves to death. A mercy kill is the only real option.

Peace out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

You may get better help over in the animals and pet issues forum op.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 barbaraw19

Serious replies please i love this guinea pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If it got in, it will get out ...eventually. Possibly clear a bit of a path in the least dense shrubbery, tempt it with some food and give it time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

If you post up a pic of the shed then maybe we can provide some kind of plan?

I would probably block off all the exits from under the shed, leaving only one exit available..

Then connect a cage to the only exit and then put some food and water in there.. sooner or later he/she will come out into the cage.. Then you need to just block off the exit back under the shed..

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

barbaraw19 wrote: »
    Wrong forum for this then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

smoke it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Whatever you do don't hold it upside down by it's tail or else it's eyeballs will fall out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Try squirting the area with water from a squirter bottle. It might tempt him to move, or can you get on of them little fishing nets in the area to scoop him up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Buy a fox to chase it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The first thing I'd do is get on After Hours and ask for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Serious??? :rolleyes:

My bets are there is no guinnea pig even! Shock, horror.

WoW OP, when you can't even pull the wool over wee Cheeky_gal's eyes, you are doing a really bad job! :D

The-Rigger wrote: »
    WoW OP, when you can't even pull the wool over wee Cheeky_gal's eyes, you are doing a really bad job! :D

My God thats really rude! So uncalled for.... :p

Mind you the dude has a point... :D

What's going tho, this is the second patronising comment I've recieved in two days, I'm not 5 people! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 barbaraw19

Thanks 4 all your help. Ive tried spraying him with a hose, hes now just wet and cold. I rang the ispca and they suggested a mouse trap, but hed be too fat to fit through it. from golf clubs to planks the little fella wont move out from under it. grrr!!!! its been 6 hours now!!! he'd break ur heart

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

jaysis, maybe he is only looking for a bit of peace and quiet, just leave him there, he wil come out he is ready

Thanks 4 all your help. Ive tried spraying him with a hose, hes now just wet and cold. I rang the ispca and they suggested a mouse trap, but hed be too fat to fit through it. from golf clubs to planks the little fella wont move out from under it. grrr!!!! its been 6 hours now!!! he'd break ur heart

eh? lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hey OP
    Piggies will always head into a tunnel of some sort so if you have an old poster tube, wavin pipe etc and present it close to him, he'll most likely shoot into it.

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Hey OP
    Piggies will always head into a tunnel of some sort so if you have an old poster tube, wavin pipe etc and present it close to him, he'll most likely shoot into it.

Are you serious hamsterboy? lol! OP is clearly joking....well so I really hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I know how you are feeling, my last guinea pig got trapped in the deep fat fryer. Poor bastard sure could squeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Send in a ferret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Sorry to hear your predicament OP, I too love the odd cavy - especially
    with peanut or hot sauce.

Here's something I picked up in Peru which you might be interested
    in should you get him back:
    CUY CHAQTADO
    1 guinea pig, de-haired, gutted, and cleaned
    1/2 c. flour
    1/4 - 1/2 t. ground cumin
    salt and black pepper to taste
    1/2 c. oil
    Pat dry the skin of the guinea pig and rub in the cumin, salt, and pepper. Preheat oil. Dust the carcass with the flour and place it on its back in the oil, turning to cook both sides. Alternately, the guinea pig can be cut and fried in quarters.
    Serve with boiled potato or boiled manioc root, and a salad of cut tomatoes and slivered onions bathed in lime juice and a bit of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Nephew wrote: »
    I know how you are feeling, my last guinea pig got trapped in the deep fat fryer. Poor bastard sure could squeal.
    Love it.

Get the garden hose and force him out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Get a short lenght of plastic piping (something around 4-5" diameter), and place a tiny quantity of crumbs along its lenght. Place one end under the shed, the other into the cage(where they'res plenty of food), and wait....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dynamite should do it. You might not get him out alive but it should get him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Dynamite should do it. You might not get him out alive but it should get him out.
    No.. I think you're onto something there! If you put a sheet of aluminum foil between the pig and the stick then he should* survive.

*untested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Cut a hole in the floor of the shed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ciaranfo wrote: »
    No.. I think you're onto something there! If you put a sheet of aluminum foil between the pig and the stick then he should* survive.

*untested

That should work. If it doesn't at least you don't have to make dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Aw this thread is so sad, the poor little fella and poor OP :( Guinea Pigs love food so maybe make a trail as far under the shed as you can manage and perhaps he'll follow the trail out. Try and scoot a dish of water under there too so at least he'll have something to drink in the meantime.

Poor mite must be terrified :(

Advertisement