Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any organ-donor boardsies?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Text the word "Doner" to "50050" followed by the word "Abrakababra".
    Free chips to the first 100 texters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hagar wrote: »
    Text the word "Doner" to "50050" followed by the word "Abrakababra".
    Free chips to the first 100 texters.

Like the sick joke...

Q; What do you call a baby with one kidney?..

A; A Donor-kebaby

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mairt wrote: »
    I wouldn't donate my body to medical science.
    The only use my body would be after I've finished with it would be for med students to chop up so they are welcome to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Mairt, i see your point about the waiting time on burial, but I just feel they could still mourn in their own way.

I wanted to donate my father's body to medical research, but his brothers were completely against it.

At the end of the day, it was my decision, but I just didn't want to rock the boat.

They were also against the organ donation, but I told them to STFU about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Yeh,people don't be scabby and give up your organs for others.

The law should make everyone an organ donor uless they opt out, if health minister done a good job this should be part of it to protect the health of the state. Ah well no chance of that hapening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

She's probably just eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

I carry a card and donate blood, I like to think they would go to a person that needs them, my biggest fear is that it goes to a scumbag or rapist, etc.
    I know I will be dead but just the thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

My father received a donated liver in 1995. He lived for 5 more happy and active years because of it. So thanks to anyone who carries a donor card. Even if you have a card the hospital needs to ask your next of kin's permission - so make sure they know how you feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Unfortunately the Mad Cow disease outbreaks have made us the lepers of Europe.
    I gave blood regularly in Ireland but they won't touch me here in France because I lived in Ireland during the outbreak years. I'm sure they won't take my organs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Blanchguy wrote: »
    Even if you have a card the hospital needs to ask your next of kin's permission - so make sure they know how you feel.
    ... which to my mind is totally ridiculous. If I've gone to the trouble of getting a donor card, then they should respect my wishes. My next-of-kin have got no say in the matter, and if by any chance they did interfere, I'd come back to haunt them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Carried one since I was about 7 after picking it up in a dentists office and asking what it was for...everything except lungs, I couldn't possibly expect someone to try and use my lungs after all the abuse I've given them.

I am of the (highly controversial) opinion that organ donation should be something you need to opt out of rather than opt in to...I know there are morals and ethical questions and the rights of remainlng relatives to take into consideration but the amount of lives lost when they could be saved by what we currently "throw away" (read bury/cremate) is a shame.
    If nothing else we really need to highlight organ donation and try and get it into kid's heads as being the sensible choice...

Interestingly enough, I've never given blood (although I've been meaning to)...that is probably jsust amore important than organ donation at death, since it's somehting you can do more than once and it saves probably more lives...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We must adopt a system like France. Everyone then becomes a donor unless they register to opt-out. Simple to do via your PPS number which is on your European Health Insurance Card. Too many people suffering and dying needlessly as there aren't enough donors.

Feck it you'll be dead anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Im an organ donor dont see the problem with it and i have been since im 9 but a friend of mine would do it but she dosent want to give away her heart unless she needs it in heaven r whatever!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Hagar wrote: »
    Unfortunately the Mad Cow disease outbreaks have made us the lepers of Europe.
    I gave blood regularly in Ireland but they won't touch me here in France because I lived in Ireland during the outbreak years. I'm sure they won't take my organs either.

Lol that's hilarious - I can't donate blood in Ireland because I've lived in England for a while... so that makes me a super-leper then :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i was born in england during a certain time of something and im not allowed donate blood in the uk.
    but i still carry my card for the last few years.

heck, if i die, and someone else can live then so be it. just as long as whats left over gets cremated and not buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I've a donor card but havent really declared to anyone what organs i want to donate! Is there anything you have to do other than get the card or is just telling family that they can have anything they want when I'm gone!

Better someone gets them than just letting them rot in the ground, such a bluddy waste, remember Reduce, Reuse, Recycle :D

Advertisement