Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any organ-donor boardsies?

Options
  • 03-11-2007 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Morbid thought rly, but out of curiosity - who here has an organ-donor card or arrangements made to give up a kidney/heart etc upon death?

I have an IKA card and don't feel weird about it - what use is a kidney once I pass (whatever the scenario)?
    I've never been in a position where I needed to receive blood (thank god) - but have given it twice in the hope it'll help someone in need. Just my nature.

But then there's some who see it as un-natural or have a problem witht the ethics of it ...

So what's everyones position/opinion on it?

Donors? 62 votes

I am a donor - and all for it
    0% 0 votes
    I am not a donor - against it
    80% 50 votes
    Undecided
    6% 4 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    12% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I dontated an organ to someone last night for a while!

YORE MA ! ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Riiiiight. First, I reply here. Next, I wake up in a bath of ice with a nice scar... Atari Jaguar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Jackz wrote: »
    I dontated an organ to someone last night for a while!

YORE MA ! ! !

2 posts in - a new record? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Archeron

I carry an organ donor card. My lungs, kidneys, liver (ha!) are there for the plucking, but my eyeballs are mine for the ever lastly choosing!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There's an option missing from the poll: those who haven't got a card but want one. I'll get around to it one of these days (but most likely die before I get to).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

humanji wrote: »
    There's an option missing from the poll: those who haven't got a card but want one. I'll get around to it one of these days (but most likely die before I get to).

http://www.ika.ie/index.php?option=com_facileforms&Itemid=50

30 seconds work tbh ;)

I get a warning it was in context, if ever a thread required a YORE MA it was this one!

People around here taking things a little too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Don't have a card but have the organ donor bits at the back of my driving licence filled out and signed.

Just because my brain pops its clogs prematurely doen't mean my, kidneys, liver, lungs, heart, valves, skin, cornea's have to. Hey, my face and hands might even make it onto someone else these days!. The more of me that survives inside someone else the better is what I say!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think all my organs are up for grabs. *posts on adverts*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Im a walking medical disaster
    I have no prob donating my organs, but I dont think they would help anyone :p

• Advertisement

Jackz wrote: »
    I get a warning it was in context, if ever a thread required a YORE MA it was this one!

People around here taking things a little too seriously.

You're probably right, my ma, despite everything else actually has great eyeballs.

Archeron wrote: »
    You're probably right, my ma, despite everything else actually has great eyeballs.

Say what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I hope mine are all too old and well past theirs sell by dates when it comes to it, but yes a carry the card. when im past saving i'd like to think if there's any organ of any use to someone else let them have it, what good is it to me anyway, im dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I've got one. Only because I hope that when my organs are transplanted into someone else it ends up being one of those scenarios where my spirit inhabits said organs and I can go on a killing spree using their body.

I hereby certify that I, Archeron Be Wonderful am withholding from the world activity that may be construed as......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Text 'Donor' to 50050 for a donor card. Everyone should have one. Is it Finland or somewhere that you have to get a card not to be a donor. Otherwise, everyone is. Proper order.

Now text that number!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I've been meaning to get one for a while now, not if any of my parts are worth salvageing though :)

Actually I was thinking about this the other day, Why do we even need to have donor cards? If someone dies in an accident and has good lungs etc they should be taken to help people whether you have a card or not. When I rule this country I'll make it law.

Edit: Damn, maybe I should rule Finland then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Just got my card today, pillage away folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

does organ donation work the same as blood donation? ie does it have the same restrictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

everything i have is up for donation not like i gonna need it.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    Actually I was thinking about this the other day, Why do we even need to have donor cards? If someone dies in an accident and has good lungs etc they should be taken to help people whether you have a card or not. When I rule this country I'll make it law.
    There was a news article recently that said Scotland were thinking of doing this - i.e. You opt-out as opposed to carrying a card and opting in (Which can be overruled by your next of kin, IIRC.)
    I'd approve of an opt-out scheme, but one that respects the rights and wishes of your next-of-kin.

Nobody here is donating a brain right..?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Forky wrote: »
    Text 'Donor' to 50050 for a donor card.

Now text that number!

Done :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I can't donate for medical reasons (cancer and diabetes to name 2). I do think that it is a good idea though. I would not donate my body to medical research though as I want to be buried properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I reckon we should register online to donate our organs. We're then sent a card.

Then if I happen to need an organ at some stage I'd be placed higher up on the queue because I was willing to donate myself.

I do normally carry a card but I've lost my damn wallet.

At the very least we should have an opt-out scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I have a card and people can take what they want, if anything happens to me I'm not going to need them. The wormies will just get more food if they're left in! I hope though that I'll be old when I die and they'll be useless. I also don't want to donate my eyes, windows to the soul and all that. I'mn speficially told my parents and bf that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm a firm believer in organ donation.

My uncle passed away on Tuesday evening, he was a multi-organ donor.

My sis-in-law passed away a few year's back at only 37yrs old. Her family wouldn't donate, what a fvcking waste.

watna wrote: »
    I also don't want to donate my eyes, windows to the soul and all that. I'mn speficially told my parents and bf that.

Alot of people feel like that about the eye's.

I think they can only use parts of the eye and not transplant the whole eye. I could of course be very wrong.

Either way if donating my eye's upon my death brings site to someone else than I'm all for it.

I wouldn't donate my body to medical science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Mairt wrote: »
    I wouldn't donate my body to medical science.

Why not Mairt?

I'm an organ donor, everyone should be really... It's one thing not donating bloody regularly, you have to have free time, if you get a tattoo you have to wait months, some people are afraid of needles, etc. -- but when you're dead, you don't feel a thing, so assuming you're not riddled with AIDS, there is no reason to hang onto those organs.

I've also donated blood twice, and hoping to make that a life-long thing... Your body regenerates blood in a short amount of time. Not donating is like having a freshwater spring on your land and not giving a thirsty person a drink.

BTW you can apply for an organ donor card by text... follow the link in my sig. It's easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

My kidneys and Liver are most likely ****ed from alcohol and my lungs and heart are also ****ed from smoking.
    They can take the other organs though. I've perfect eyesight.

As for medical research, I'm all for it.
    If some med student wants to dissect the body of an obese alcoholic smoker, who also is slightly insane, then they are welcome to do so.

EDit: I got my donor card after seeing the link in Dave McG's sig.

Also, I cannot donate blood due to the amount of medication I'm on.
    Unless they want the recipient to be wasted for a while.

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Why not Mairt?

Only reason I won't donate my body to science is simply its too hard on my family.

I've a friend whose dad donated to science and the family didn't get the body back for 18 months (for burial). His family weren't prepared for the whole thing and found it very traumatic.

Otherwise donating my body for science would be a good idea since I don't smoke, only drink in moderation. I train regularly and keep myself very fit. Thats all provided of course that I died young.

Advertisement