Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derelict haunted buildings

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Poltergoose

Great post Le Rack, some very interesting stuff there.That place in Wexford sounds great, is it still there? I must check that place out for myself.

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=4773
    Is this the castle in wexford??? if so, WOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Actually if you look you'll see the thread started in that link might be someone we all know and love/loath >_>

There was a thread on here about it so I'll dig it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

oh yeah! thats mad ,I just randomly stumbled upon that.Thats a good one
    6th wrote: »
    Actually if you look you'll see the thread started in that link might be someone we all know and love/loath >_>

There was a thread on here about it so I'll dig it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Yep that's it!!! One hell of a place! It's on private property but we knew the woman who owned it so meh...

right, text Aids, me mate living up the road from it, and it is Boro Castle. I propose a trip down there, BIG TIME! whatever about the CoCo, I can get us land permission, the place really creeped the hell out of me but I gotta go back, we could pitch tents on nearby ground, it's not suitable to stay in and even the thought right now of staying anywhere near it is givin me shivers...

Just found this
    Carew built Castleboro House on the north side of the Forestalstown river in 1770. He re named the estate, which was in the townland of Ballyboro, Castleboro at this time. An accidental fire took place in 1840 and destroyed all but the west wing. Immediate plans were drawn up by Daniel Robertson, a Kilkenny architect, who incorporated the surviving west wing into his plans.

The grand centre of the building presents the appearance of a Venetian Palace, about ninety foot in length and at the front extends a facade of elegant and elaborate workmanship. A projection of a semi-hexagon figure occupies about one third of the front while the mansion extends a similar distance on each side A highly ornamental entablature runs along the entire building above the second story and is supported in the centre by four Corinthian columns with very rich capitals and by two pilasters of the same order on the right and left extremities. A very rich and highly ornamental cut stone string course runs above the first story with rosettes and scrolls. The north front displays a lofty and magnificent portico supported by six columns of the Corinthian order.

Architect Robertson suffered from gout and whilst the building was in progress it was said he was pushed around sitting in a wheelbarrow with the plans in one hand and a bottle of fine wine in the other.Castleboro was laid out with four stepped terraces with manicured grass bank on each side desending to an artificial lake. In the centre of the third stood a magnificent fountain flanked by two smaller fountains with pools on the immediate upper terrace. This was truly a magnifiecent sight on a bright summers day.

During the Throubles of the 1920's the Carews sold off the prize cattle heards and furniture and effects and lived full time in England. A group of local IRA sympathisers, believing free state troups might billet there, burned the mansion on Monday night February 5th 1923.

The derlict ruins of this once magistic building still remains and with the Blackstairs mountain range as a backdrop, the rolling green pastures surrounding it and the peace and tranquility of is setting it is still a wonderful place to visit.

6th wrote: »

I actually passed this house last night , but i has half asleep but i commented how great it looked in the dusk .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 chambers

gillo wrote: »
    True and also, a lot of derelict buildings can be in a dangerous state (physically), you may also end up with a broken leg.

TBH honest I don't see a lot of people here giving out information on how to trespass onto a particular property. Then again I have been proven wrong many a time in the past.

i think you should just get in there and tell them ghosts to just show themselves,,no messing around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Loxosceles

The St. George mansion in County Galway. It's the creepiest place I've EVAR been. Easy to get into, just hop the stone fence a foot high and go in. Cellars are accessible to the left of the front of the building, down a slippery grassy hole. They're big and very scary. The St. George mausoleum in the graveyard about half a mile away is creepy too, but now shut to the public. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tobybinns

Sorry to drag this thread back up again, but I though I would chip in my contribution to this thread.

If you go to YouTube and add the below at the end:

/watch?v=SoEh-93CNl8

It is a video clip of an old training workshop for Painting & Decorating, and quite a bit of the original stuff in the place has been left behind as it was when the place was first abandoned.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This thread has arisen from the dead, so I'm having it re-interred peacefully.

toby, maybe start a new thread if you want to discuss the video.

RIP, thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement