Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derelict haunted buildings

Options
  • 02-11-2007 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Is there any around? Like some hospital of some sort where the nurses were driven to their deaths? The best I ever got was the abandoned beach house on Killiney Beach....

I'm desperate for something thrill seeking to do, any locations would be appreciated?

The only place I can think of is that area near that hospital, holla street, it's just a big empty area, with a crumbling sort of building.

If there are any places that are locked up but are possible to get into, then place tell me.

http://community.livejournal.com/abandonedplaces/tag/europe

I'm looking for a place like this building at the bottom of the linked page.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

There are plenty of derelict and abandoned buildings in dublin.Trouble is if you enter them you could end up in the equally derelict but occupied mountjoy.
    You need permission from the owner to enter private property, even if it's unoccupied and derelict. If you want to be spooked try the old cemetry on mill lane in palmerstown at night.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

True and also, a lot of derelict buildings can be in a dangerous state (physically), you may also end up with a broken leg.

TBH honest I don't see a lot of people here giving out information on how to trespass onto a particular property. Then again I have been proven wrong many a time in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yeah I guess it would be against boards rules, but at least give me one location of good sized abandoned building, with some sort of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

With the cost of land in Dublin i doubt you will find many abandondend sqaure feet ! Also beware of addicts ect. Stabby Stabby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

Is there any around? Like some hospital of some sort where the nurses were driven to their deaths? The best I ever got was the abandoned beach house on Killiney Beach....

I'm desperate for something thrill seeking to do, any locations would be appreciated?

The only place I can think of is that area near that hospital, holla street, it's just a big empty area, with a crumbling sort of building.

If there are any places that are locked up but are possible to get into, then place tell me.

This is sketchy as I only visited this abandoned gate house+out house+stables one night about 8/9 years ago - tis about 3/4 miles outside Tralee, just past a seaside village called The Spa...might do to ask in the local pub but beware,there a clannish bunch at the best of times - I do recall seeing a middle aged lady of Georgian era(I'm guessing) facing away from me and half covered in shadow - she seemed to be beckoning to the ghost of something or other,perhaps a horse - know myself and my mate got a dose of the sh*ts and ran like the clappers...there are a couple of ghoulish stories relating back to that abode...think the Famine+Landlordism may have something to do with the story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭smirkingmaurice

theres a haunted house in cashel,can't remember the name now but apparently its frequented by the ghost of a red glowing rat and apparently cats are scared of it and run off shrieking when it appears. Story goes that a ratter in the 1760's was bitten by a red haired rat and died of blood poisoning in that very building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

Is there any around?

No, there are no haunted buidlings, derelict or otherwise, but if you really want a scare you could go into one of them anyway. I am sure a crazy crack head with a knife could be just as scary as any ghost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

though the thing cant actually offer any proof that "there are no haunted buidlings, derelict or otherwise," the point is well made that its not a great idea to roam around derelict buildings. If youre interested in that sort of thing you should contact a local group

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

TheThing! banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Seems a tad harsh. It was an open question, he answered.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap if you have a problem with the moderating on this forum please either contact me by pm or start a thread on the feedback forum. Please do not take threads off-topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'd already banned him.

I have been lazy about telling you these things!

double bannage ahoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

psi wrote: »
    I'd already banned him.

I have been lazy about telling you these things!

double bannage ahoy!
    Tis far from banning people from unorthodox forums ye were all reared

Kives banned for further off-topic posting. Anybody else who feels like posting off-topic will be banned untill they can provide me with irrefutable proof of the existence of ghosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Poltergoose

I know of a couple of derelict buildings that are reportedly haunted.Woodlawn house in co.Galway is a massive 18th century building, its in not so bad shape from the images ive seen though not sure how easy it would be to get access.Also there is Seaforth house in Lisheen co.Sligo, an old ruin that is said to have been one of the most haunted houses in Ireland, I dont think the land it's on is private either, it was actually featured on TAPS last night and they got quiet a bit of good evidence from their night there.
    The only thing is getting granted access to a derelict building, its hard enough holding your nerves together in a haunted location watching for ghosts nevermind the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭smirkingmaurice

Me father told me this one about 3 months ago,we were huddled round the fire on an unusually cold august night,23rd i think, anyhow he n a parcel of his crew were rummaging around an old house, called leap castle i think, in laoise, or the midlands somewhere. Himself n d others claim some great big fecking clown of a thing came waltzing through one of the rooms, didnt know what to call it, look it up,leap castle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Shinners23

Oh Ross Castle in Mount Nugent is supposed to be haunted. I think it sleeps 10 - 12 people and you can rent out the whole thing for a night or weekend or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Leap was alright and Ross is great ... especially at €500-€600 for the whole night if you can get 10 people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

i would tend to agree with the early posters recommending avoiding derelict buildings on the grounds of H&S and legal mumbo jumbo!

Dont forget there are plenty of non derelict buildings that have claims of paranormal activity that you can roam about it.

Check out Marsh's library by st patricks cathedral for example. I think its still open to the public.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Me father told me this one about 3 months ago,we were huddled round the fire on an unusually cold august night,23rd i think, anyhow he n a parcel of his crew were rummaging around an old house, called leap castle i think, in laoise, or the midlands somewhere. Himself n d others claim some great big fecking clown of a thing came waltzing through one of the rooms, didnt know what to call it, look it up,leap castle
    Ive just visited Leap this week. Leap has a lot of rep for being evil, etc, but dont believe everything you hear.;) I liked the place a lot, and the owner is a true gent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Leap castle hasn't or hadn't got the energy feel to it that the history books tell. It was one of the nicest places I have stayed although my energy was all over the place after been there but that was more than likely to do with me than the castle. Sean, could not meet nicer, would sit and listen to him for hours on the stories he tells of the local area and the castle.

I also managed to get one interesting photo in the staircase of Leap.

Ross Castle to me still remains to me the most interesting location I have been

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

there use to be the old grange gorman hospital,i dont know if it still stands,a few yrears back i was in the army and we use to look after the hostel on the same grounds,myself and two friends went in to do a security check and i never felt anything like it,it was like the staff were told to drop everything and leave.medical instruments were still in there packets,straight jackets left on the floor and the smell was really bad.everytime we went in there you could feel that you were being watched,and you could see figures out if the corner of you eye,
    does anyone know if this is still standing i left dublin 5 years ago and havent been down that part of the city since,
    it wiuld be a great place to do if it was still there but you would have to be very careful there use to be alot homeless hanging around inside,and it wasnt the safest structure to be in

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

it's still there, not for long though, the second darker building at the back is more interesting IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I posted about this place in the 'ghosts in the news thread'

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53765859&postcount=167

I couldn't drum up enough support for an investigation though... as well... you know... people are scared of being murdered by crack addicts and everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭heirenach

Woodlawn house was owned by the Trench family .There was a couple of mysterious deaths in the family.One son took his life in a pond at the rear of the house,they say his ghost was seen there.They covered in the pond.In the end they left the house and moved to Ballingarry house in Co.Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 loreto

the house on killiney beach isnt haunted is it????

Wow this place sounds class, would love to check it out.Ok a bloke got killed recently there, but still if you had enough people it would scare off any possible unwanteds.If anyone thinks of going here let me know.
    Also Woodlawn house looks like a great location.

I posted about this place in the 'ghosts in the news thread'

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53765859&postcount=167

I couldn't drum up enough support for an investigation though... as well... you know... people are scared of being murdered by crack addicts and everything...

What house is that??

loreto wrote: »
    the house on killiney beach isnt haunted is it????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 loreto

The One On The Beach As Ur Goin Towards White Rock Beach,,its Not Really A House Its Just A Building

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

That place in Clontarf/Raheeny looks amazing! Would love to go up just to see it even, *plans road trip for next day off*

My Nanna and her family are from a village called Galbally, near Enniscorthy in Wexford, I was up visiting cousins one night and my young cousin took me out to the old house of my great grandmother, when I say old, I mean, ruins, falling apart, cows are sometimes let in the downstairs part old. I wandered around in it for a bit and for a house that was moved out of upon building a new house it was still very much like everyone had just upped and left, and there was a creepy atmosphere in general. My nan has always told me the tales of the Banshee in that area, apparently it's famous for it, and either a family member or a neighbour was out walking the roads one night, heard a scream not far off and found a comb on the road, and a relative died a few days later. They said that they would often hear screeching on the old roads, and see strange figures at night. I did hear some sort of strange screeching the night I was up there but the entire area creeps the hell out of me after dark regardless! However a great uncle of mine hung himself in the woodshed beside the house.

My Nanna's house itself, is in Barntown in Wex, there's no records for the house ever being built, all we know that it's over two hundred years old. My Nan's name is Doyle, the previous owners of the house were Doyle's, no relation, and a couple of years ago I was in a 1798 Rebellion grave yard with my Grandad and we found a tomb with "Doyle's of Ivy House, Barntown" on it, my Nan's house. Granted it's not definate but even forty years ago it was one of the only houses there, let alone 200. I've always gotten strange feelings from the house, even though I grew up in it. I refused to be alone in the house and even now at night time I still get very nervous. One day when I was about 12, my Nan was gone down to the neighbours for a bit, she was taking longer than expected and I felt very nervous so brought the dog into the sitting room with me. Eddy is the most placid creature ever, she wouldn't harm a fly, so when I brought her in she lay by the fire and went asleep. Out of nowhere she jumps up, fur raised, growling, and runs down to the back of the dining room, appearing as if she's cornered something. At first I thought it was a mouse, but when I went to try calm her down she wouldn't move, continued growling, barking, going nuts, to an empty corner. A few minutes later I heard footsteps upstairs. Something which I had heard a lot before but when I said anything about it I was told it was the house settling...

(Sorry I know this is wicked long!)

There is a castle in Rathnure Co. Wexford, don't know the name of it and have tried to google search it but I'm not turning up anything, but it's very well known in the area for being haunted. A friend of mine lives near it, and took me out to it one day. Four of us went in, on a lovely warm summers day, but as soon as we were within feet of the place it felt colder, granted probably cuz of the old stone etc. We climbed in a back window anyway and started wandering around. The ground floor section was just ruins really, can't remember if you could get upstairs, but you can go into the basement, which was a series of tunnels and chambers, one of which used to be a morgue. Naturally the temp dropped big time going underground, that was grand, it got pretty dark too, so the four of us held hands and gradually made our way in. (we hadn't thought far enough ahead to have brought torches!) We went into each of the rooms we found, not much to be seen really, until we got to what we guess was the morgue. The walls seemed partially like this http://www.odyssey-tours.com/images/catacomb_4.jpg and there was what were like big stone alter/bed type things to one side. One of us had a torch on our phone but it was minimal help...Anyway, despite the cold, dank, dark of the basement, there was an entire change of atmosphere in this room. It became pitch black, like we could barely make out eachother with the torch, my description comes from feeling around for direction. It became freezing cold, we each started shivering, there was a horrid smell, beyond the smell of damp and woodland decay, it was rotton, and the atmosphere itself changed, we all got very nervous, and the two other girls freaked out and had to get out. Once out of there we continued down the corridor but it became too dangerous to continue, even though we had some natural light again there was too much debris etc...

Ok, I'm done. Apologies! Hope some of it was interesting! If I ever find out mre about the castle I'll post it up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement